Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mdntblu

join:1999-09-30
Corona, CA
reply to More Fiber

Re: [Southwest] Wireless

The Meraki is connected to a LAN port on the actiontech. Basically I am just using the same SSID on both since the Actiontech isn't powerful enough to reach some of the bedrooms. We have an Xbox in each bedroom connected via Wifi and one hard wired next to the Actiontech.
I'll have to double check if I'm still having xbox live issues when connected to the Meraki. But I do know for sure if I connect to the Actiontech wifi I can't see my Dnla Buffalo NAS shared folders.
--
Brad

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
You didn't answer my question. Of course the Meraki is connected to an Actiontec LAN port if the Actiontec is primary. What I asked was whether the connection was to the Meraki WAN port or to a Meraki LAN port.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

mdntblu

Corona, CA
I'm sorry. After I answered I realized that. We just had a baby last Tuesday and have had lack of sleep so I'm not always thinking correctly. It's on the gigabit uplink port. »www.meraki.com/products/wireless/mr12
If you need anymore info left me know.
--
Brad

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Using a LAN-to-WAN connection, you've created two separate subnets. Devices on one subnet can not see devices on the other subnet, which explains why an Xbox connected to the Actiontec can not see the NAS connected to the Meraki. It also creates a double NAT situation, which the Xbox Live does not like.

In order for the Xbox to see the NAS, they must be on the same subnet. I strongly recommend you use the LAN-to-LAN configuration documented here:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

Using LAN-to-LAN configuration will create a single subnet so all devices can see each other. It will also eliminate the double NAT situation which causes problems for Xbox live.

I must say the Meraki is an odd device to choose for a home network. Is this device supplied by you employer? If so, do you even have access to reconfigure it?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by More Fiber:

I must say the Meraki is an odd device to choose for a home network. Is this device supplied by you employer? If so, do you even have access to reconfigure it?

With heavy reliance on cloud-based management, it would seem to require WAN access for management. One datasheet addressed what happens with loss of internet. It said configuration is pretty much frozen until internet (I'm reading that as WAN) is restored, although there is a limited user management for IP addressing.

mdntblu

Corona, CA
reply to More Fiber
I got the Meraki for free with 3 yr license. I do have access to configure it. I'm not unite sure why when my NAS is plugged into a gigabit switch that is connected to my Actiontech and then connecting via Actiontech wireless with an Xbox I can't see the NAS but connecting to the Meraki wireless I can. I have access to reconfigure the Meraki.
--
Brad

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
What is the LAN subnet of the Meraki?

Let's assume the Meraki is 192.168.0.x and the Actiontec is 192.168.1.x.
A device on the 192.168.1.x LAN is NOT going to see a device on the 192.168.0.x LAN (and visa-versa).
--

mdntblu

Corona, CA
The Meraki isn't giving out different IP's. The Actiontech is the only DHCP giving out IP's. So even devices connected to the Meraki still get an IP given by the Actiontech. The Meraki has a static IP of 192.168.1.200 and has subnet of 255.255.255.0. Gateway is set to 192.168.1.1. I can PM you my login info for the Meraki if you want.
--
Brad

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Is the Meraki configured in bridge mode or NAT mode?
The Meraki documentation certainly is not clear about how to set this.

said by mdntblu:

The Meraki ... has subnet of 255.255.255.0.

255.255.255.0 is a subnet mask, not a subnet.

said by mdntblu:

I'm not quite sure why when my NAS is plugged into a gigabit switch that is connected to my Actiontech and then connecting via Actiontech wireless with an Xbox I can't see the NAS

Try disabling the IGMP proxy on the Actiontec.
You will need to use the following deep link:
»192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059
--

mdntblu

Corona, CA
Got it. I wasn't sure.
I would assume that both wireless networks are on the same subnet though. What I don't understand is I why would the Xbox not see the NAS when connected to the Actiontech wireless when the NAS is connected directly to the Actiontech?
I disabled that IGMP Proxy and will test it later on this evening.
--
Brad

mdntblu

Corona, CA
That seemed to have fixed the problem. All xbox's see NAS now.
--
Brad