Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HKPolice

join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON

1 edit
reply to HKPolice

Re: [Cable] Youtube lags at night still, upgrade cache servers?

It's happening again right now: 9:19PM Monday night.

Almost every video I try to load is buffering multiple times every minute @ 1080p.

Some example videos:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY2pWvjaYX0
streaming from 206.248.151.144

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUq0T_xLLVg
streaming from 206.248.151.76 (newer server, seems to be a little faster but still buffers)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqjAArA_RyI
streaming from 206.248.151.79 (newer server, seems to be a little faster but still buffers)

I don't think it's a flash issue because I never have issues when off peak hours and also doesn't happen on 16Mbit DSL /w another ISP.

Edit: I just tried streaming all 3 videos @ the same time on different tabs and I'm only averaging 1MB/s compared to 100-600KB/s for a single video, so it doesn't seem like multiple connections are helping much.

Edit2: I just tried downloading off usenet @ the same time and overall download speed combined is 3.5MB/s which is exactly 28Mbit/s so I'm sure my POI or Local node is NOT congested.

TSI Gabe
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:6

I've just watched all of these, no buffering at all.

HKPolice

join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON

said by TSI Gabe:

I just watched the first minute of the first video @ 10:52pm and it buffered twice. Nothing transferring on my network while it was streaming.

Nagilum
Premium
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Do we need to utilize TSI's DNS servers to take advantage of the Google Caching server?
--
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore, 1993

evil_gusgus

join:2008-04-14
London, ON

2 edits

said by Nagilum:

Do we need to utilize TSI's DNS servers to take advantage of the Google Caching server?

To use the TSI cache server yes you need to use TSI's DNS servers.

Youtube works fine at Fanshawe College, so it's not Flash or HTML5 that is the problem. Currently I can load a 1080p video on 3/512k faster than on my home connection thats 28/1.

Hopefully the amazing gabe and google can figure it out

EDIT: Some videos seem to be working now :s Still defaults to 360p though.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Gabe

said by TSI Gabe:

i'm not sure you're going about it the right way to troubleshoot this. if you're going to videos that have already been accessed by TSI users it will be cached by the time you go.