My watch stopped
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Southern IL

Portmonkey to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper

Re: Suggestions for the 2013 Anti Virus Poll

Samsung Galaxy Proclaim. AVG seems to be ok. Haven't been infected yet that I know of, but I don't do much with the phone other than calls, text and occasionally check the news and weather. The low battery indicator has been the most useful feature so far. The Anti-Theft feature seems like a security risk to me so I've avoided using it.

Trooper
Premium Member
join:2005-05-18
USA

Trooper

Premium Member

Nice. What is the deal with the Anti-Theft feature and why do you feel it a security risk?

I am currently using Bitdefender on my Nexus 4. Its nice and light. Not sure of detection rate yet but will know in a few weeks. Last I checked, Avast was tops followed by Lookout in terms of Android malware detection.

Portmonkey
My watch stopped
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Southern IL

Portmonkey

Premium Member

Just something about being able to remotely wipe the phone that makes me uncomfortable. What if the site is compromised or my email account associated with the phone and used to activate AVG is hacked. Can some stranger delete my stuff? The phone requires a pin number but if someone did gain access then they also have access to the email account until I get online and change the password. Can they simply uninstall AVG and not worry about being tracked down or any of the apps and information being erased? I don't really know. It seems to be more trouble than it's worth. If it's not in my hand then it's in my pocket or on the nightstand, so I'm willing to take my chances doing without the Anti-Theft feature.

Trooper
Premium Member
USA

Trooper

Premium Member

I fully understand your concern. My guess is that anything would be possible. However part of the reason that I use an AV on my phone is for anti-theft and remote wiping. If it falls into the wrong hands I will be able to log into a website and remotely wipe it. It just gives me peace of mind.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Remote wipe and lock, geo-locate, etc - are mobile A/V app features, Trooper See Profile
I think that's beyond the scope of the intention of this thread.

Trooper
Premium Member
USA

Trooper

Premium Member

While I agree, things happen. Its called being part of a discussion. His running AVG on his phone was part of it, Anti-Theft was a sidebar. This thread needs to be re-organized anyway and a proper poll setup. Until that happens it is what is is.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Its called being part of a discussion

Not really, as most desktop A/V apps don't offer these features, thus, these are beyond the scope of this thread.
It isn't what it is... since this isn't what you asked initially, yes ?
All due, and all that stuff.