Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dalepa

join:2012-03-19
Houston, TX
reply to dishrich

Re: [DVR] Can someone explain this?

yep, looks like i might have bad cables and/or connectors... i bet the splitter is fine..

Do rats like to chew cables? one cable had several places that metal is showings and it looks like something has been chewing on it.

I'm showing -8 now and no problems... Is -8 normal, or should that be higher with 2/1 split?

SeaSeaTee5

join:2010-05-06
Maryland

Yes, rodents like to chew on cable to keep their teeth sharp. Squirrel chew on outside cable is pretty common.

Your signal will double when you go from a 4 way to a 2 way splitter. Generally -10dBmV is the minimum amount of signal needed for a digital signal. You are right on that threshold so I'm not surprised that your picture would go in and out depending on which splitter you are using.

If you have damaged cable you are possibly letting in ingress as well. Not only could this affect your picture quality, but it can also add upstream interference on the cable plant. This could not only affect your modem performance, but can affect others in your node as well. If it's bad enough, your service could be interrupted until it is corrected.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to dalepa

said by dalepa:

one cable had several places that metal is showings and it looks like something has been chewing on it.

If you still need those locs active, you then MUST replace that cable somehow...ANY metal showing is not good.