how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TomBrooklyn
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY

[WIN7] Where Do I See Notice of Administrator's Rights?

In Windows 7 Pro, on a standalone or home network computer, where can I look to see what the rights of each user are, and which user(s) have administrator's rights?

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
lusrmgr.msc

TomBrooklyn
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY
said by sbconslt:

lusrmgr.msc

Hi. I ran that string and I got a list of three users:

Administrator
Tom

I'm Tom.

How do I know which user I am operating under?

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

join:2007-01-22
Chicago, IL
reply to TomBrooklyn
Right click on your name, properties, and then member of. It will tell you what group you are a member of.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to TomBrooklyn
One way is press Windows+L to lock the session, and the lock screen will tell you who you are.
--
Scott Brown Consulting
Expand your moderator at work

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.

join:2007-11-19
USA
reply to TomBrooklyn

Re: [WIN7] Where Do I See Notice of Administrator's Rights?

in a command prompt:

gpresult /scope user /r

look for the line "The user is a part of the following security groups"

if they're in the administrator group, they have administrative rights. it also lists all the various other groups the member is part of.

if you want to know what the rights are, that's way more complicated. the administrator group is not really anything other than a group that's by default been given a lot of rights on the machine as far as local security policy, group policy, folder rights and security permissions. to find out what rights those are, you could scour all the group policies and local security policies by typing "secpol.msc" and "gpedit.msc" into the run dialog.

Premium
join:2003-09-29
New York, NY
reply to TomBrooklyn
Technically you don't. The admin acting on behalf of the owner, or could be the owner doesn't have to show you anything.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Huh?

That was a simple technical question about how to list the rights associated with a Windows user or group!

---
To the OP: yet another way to determine membership of the administrators group is, at a command prompt, "net localgroup administrators". That doesn't directly tell you the rights, of course, but you can generally assume that the rights of the admins group are what they usually are.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TomBrooklyn
To see everything about the current user: type whoami /all at a command prompt.

Rights, aka privileges (hah, in Windows-speak the two words are generally treated as equivalent) are listed last.

For the uninitiated looking at this output: the relationship between an account and a privilege has 3 possible states:

- not granted to the account, in which case it won't be in the display
- granted but disabled, meaning a program running as this user can turn it on when needed
- granted and enabled, meaning it's immediately available