why is cbc streams all choppy

its been this way now for weeks
i dont get it
isnt 5 megabit er 6 megabit enough?
its all unwatchable
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

It's flash I swear. I'm on 25 and having the same issues with all flash based streaming.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

flash is crap but it will go at 30-60 fps on any pc released in the last 5-10 years.
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON to funny0

to funny0
For me the ads are choppy but the actual content plays fine. Likely whatever they are using to stream the ads is either overloaded or works like crap on cable due to SpeedBoost or something else.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

flash is crap but it will go at 30-60 fps on any pc released in the last 5-10 years.

That doesn't mean a bug wasn't introduced (unrelated to graphics btw - it's a networking issue). Besides, I'm running on a brand new Win8 laptop
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0

well it only started like about a month ago and it ONLY happens when i run ANY other application at same time or use one.
then the sound goes all choppy and video starts skipping

flash eh between adobe issues and oracle i dont know....
funny0

funny0 to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

oh and ive got a 3ghz with 2gb ram bud and its a very recent issue and look at other guy saying he has 25 megabit and its doing same crap
LondonOntGuy
join:2004-05-12
London, ON

LondonOntGuy to funny0

to funny0
As I've said on previous posts, it's CTV's stream as well, usually just the ads. When I last did a site rip (using Stream Transport) of video content on both sites, they were both using the same service to host the content. Not sure if it's changed since last year, but it looks like it hasn't.

Similar results happen with pretty much anything on Ch131, I often have to let the video preload for a good 5 minutes before I can start watching it.

veriphone1
@teksavvy.com

veriphone1 to funny0

Anon

to funny0
Yes it is recent and only with advertisement. Once the regular program starts - no problems.
And it only happens with CBC not with CTV for example.
I am on DSL...

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Ebil CTV luv U long time.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to funny0

to funny0
No, it is NOT flash....This assumes something with flash itself is wrong, but that is not the case in this case, or the Youtube case as "flash" is working fine locally for me across three different operating systems, and I'm sure for others as well.

When you say "it might be flash", please specify you mean a problem with your local environment/install of flash, not flash itself.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere to BrianON

Premium Member

to BrianON
said by BrianON:

For me the ads are choppy but the actual content plays fine. Likely whatever they are using to stream the ads is either overloaded or works like crap on cable due to SpeedBoost or something else.

EXACTLY what I have happening !

I'm on cable on START's aggregated POI in Cogeco-Land of Eastern Ontario (20/1.5 speed of service), and you have described precisely what I have been seeing for the past 2 months or so.

Therefive, this is not specifically a TSI, Rogers, nor Bell issue.

The ads are choppy and the audio pauses with the video.

The result is that the ads run 3 times as long as they should while you are waiting for the news clip or show, and are so bad that even if you WANTED to view the ads, they are just too rough.

The news items are fine, or with the occasional frame drop, but have good audio even then.

It might be some change at CBC's end.

CTV did an upgrade just before that - one which makes their video player unusable on the PC which I would normally use for watching such streams from those feeds - they spoke of having upgraded it at the time.

nettles
@teksavvy.com

nettles

Anon

Are you talking about an on-demand stream or live?

I was trying to watch the hockey game live on Saturday (working TV was occupied) and the stream was choppy. I ended up watching it on a perfectly smooth sopcast stream. Internet speed wasn't the issue though the quality they have their stream on for HNIC is fairly high with no option to switch to lower quality. For me it should be okay but for someone with an internet speed lower than say 6 mbps, they should at least have the option to lower the quality setting a bit.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

jmck

you could try disabling hardware acceleration for flash, simply right click a flash window and go to settings and uncheck the box, then reload the page or restart the browser.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy to d4m1r

to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

No, it is NOT flash....This assumes something with flash itself is wrong, but that is not the case in this case, or the Youtube case as "flash" is working fine locally for me across three different operating systems, and I'm sure for others as well.

When you say "it might be flash", please specify you mean a problem with your local environment/install of flash, not flash itself.

Well, TSI Phil says that's the direction they're leaning as well, possibly a Flash + Win8 issue. It's great if it's working for you but Youtube and every other Flash based streaming video has issues on my end if it goes above 480p.