trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Re: Buggy Intel SSD 520 Series SSD Firmware

I did do some extra investigation into the issue that I was having, specifically reading the Windows Event Log.

OK, I'm give some information about my setup that I have along with the scheduled TRIM that I do nightly on the SSD. I have a Windows Scheduled Task scheduled to perform a TRIM on the SSD on a nightly basis at 3 AM in the morning. Those mornings that I found my computer sitting at the "No Boot Device Found" error had no Windows Event Log entries shortly after 3:05 AM. So that may indicate that the SSD failed, thus dropped off of the bus, shortly after the TRIM command was issued to the SSD.

This morning, I deleted almost 10 GBs of data off the SSD. Mainly temporary files, files that I downloaded and already did something with, etc. You know the kinds of files.

After I deleted those files I ran a manual TRIM via the Windows 8 "Defragment and Optimize Drives" tool. I then went to go get myself another cup of coffee, I then came back to my machine sitting at the "No Boot Device Found" error message.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

It is interesting that the SSD failed and dropped off of the bus after I issued it a TRIM command. So that may indicate that something occurred in the SSD when the TRIM command was issued which triggered the SSD's controller chip to malfunction in some way which then caused the SSD to drop off of the bus.