how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

Is it cold or am I a whiney little bitch?

So tomorrow morning will be -28 with the wind chill and tomorrow night -34 with the windchill. As I am on call at night and need to be out the door in 5 minutes this sucks and I guarantee I will be called. It never fails. Never.

lugnut

@communications.com
Right on both counts

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to peterboro
That's just plain old cold. I don't miss Winnipeg, nor Calgary because of those temps. Throw in high humidity, and it gets nasty.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to peterboro
Man up. This is a typical Canadian winter. Last winter was the exception, as this year is proving.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
We won't know that until winter's over and we look back at average temperatures. Yes, this WEEK is typical winter, but last week I was barbecuing out on the deck in my shirt sleeves.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Wolfie00:

Yes, this WEEK is typical winter

For what it's worth, daytime highs of -13C and overnight lows pushing -20 - and this is with no wind - are anything but typical, at least around here. Our average January daytime high is 0, and it's the only month of winter where the average is at freezing. The coldest we've ever been in recorded history is -25. They don't call us the banana belt for nothing.

So yes, we are freezing our asses off, and you will not hear me call anyone who complains about this abhorrent cold a whiny bitch.

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada
reply to peterboro
Uppers:

Tee shirt
Thermal longsleeve
Fleece pullover
2 piece winter jacket with fleece inner and windproff outer

Lowers:

Thermal long underwear
Regular long underwear
Sweat pants

Extremities:

Thermal socks
-30 rated boots
Thinsulate glove inners, winter construction glove outers
2 tuques
Neckwarmer

Its not enough for -40, as I've learned but it has done me well for the last 3 years until now. This is brutal. -33 and no wind chill, ouch.
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
Kanuk coat. Canadian made. 'Nuff said. »kanuk.com

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to Gone
You're being too literal -- I meant "typical" in the sense of being cold and snowy, instead of everyone remarking on how summer-like it is. Still, when I was out at midday yesterday the car thermometer said 22°F (about -6°C) which is hardly super cold. I think it's supposed to be quite a bit colder today (Tuesday).
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
Wendell Berry

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to peterboro
Today was the first day we really felt cold while walking around at lunch.

I took a walk to grab some food after work and with my neck exposed and the wind-tunnel effects here in the city my skin was burning. When I got home the skin was beet red after only about 10 minutes. Definitely scarf weather.

I'm so soft now after 12 years in TO after spending the previous 19 4 hours drive north.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to milnoc
said by milnoc:

$900!!*!@&$@^&#@% Dollars For a PARKA!!!?!?!?!?!?

Who do they sell these to? The Clampetts of Inuktuk?

These people are out of their minds. Gimme a $120 Sears Parka on sale any old day.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Gone
I think what he meant was the cold snap. Yes, typically around here daily highs would be -2 or so, but this is also normal for winter to have this cold snap. It's supposed to back into the single digits next week.

So far, this year still barely qualifies as a typical winter...2 weekends and grass to look at...not so wintry.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to peterboro
Stop whining!

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
reply to peterboro
I am glad you clearly wrote 'wind chill' and not 'temperature' and you did not write the wind chill numbers with a 'C'. Thanks to the media many people confuse wind chill with temperature. Wind chill cannot be physically measured, it is a model based on temperature and how people subjectively feel how cold it is, given a measured wind speed. It only applies to creatures that perspire.
The wind chill can vary instantaneously with the wind speed and how sheltered or not sheltered you are. The concept is useful because it tells us not to have any skin exposed when it is cold and windy out. The sister concept of humidex is also generally misused once again thanks to the media. Maybe I'll post about that next Summer

-Bob

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada
Yeah yeah, watts per square meter...-44*C right now.
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to peterboro
Your not Little!!

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to peterboro
I was outside for a little over 7 hours yesterday... I will not be calling anyone any names for complaining about this weeks temperatures.

milnoc

H3B
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

said by milnoc:

Mine is almost 10 years old. Paid $650 for it. Worth every penny. First time I've ever had a coat that actually kept me warm and didn't fall apart after only two years.

BTW, loved your reaction!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to peterboro
Snowing in the T Dot, going to wreak havoc on the roads

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Canadian Made...that is why they are $700.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to elwoodblues
Not snowing in Barrie right now, but cold... -22 plus windchill (reported at -27 ATM)

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to milnoc
said by milnoc:

said by lugnut :

said by milnoc:

Mine is almost 10 years old. Paid $650 for it. Worth every penny. First time I've ever had a coat that actually kept me warm and didn't fall apart after only two years.

BTW, loved your reaction!

i have a Columbia jacket i got about 10 years ago that still looks like its new...i use it to when i use the snow blower now...it was about $150...my current winter jacket is going on it's 3rd winter...still looks new...$60 at Costco.

back in my late teens, i had a nice jacket...it was a really nice Descente ski jacket...paid $800 for it...had it two years before someone stole it...same thing happened to some nice sun glasses i used to own...never again.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

milnoc

H3B
reply to dirtyjeffer
I've never been warm in an Asian made coat. Always cold.

This Canadian made coat however, Ahhhhhh!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to peterboro
I turned the seat heaters on in the car this morning. I never do that.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
I zipped up my jacket today. That's about as far as I'll go. Not that cold yet.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I turned the seat heaters on in the car this morning. I never do that.

I always turn the ass warmers on, nothing like a nice warm bum while you're driving.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to peterboro
Click for full size
It's cold.

This actually reminds me a lot of 2009. Very warm winter leading up to about Christmas, and then all hell broke loose with a long extended cold snap in January.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

Who do they sell these to? The Clampetts of Inuktuk?

These people are out of their minds. Gimme a $120 Sears Parka on sale any old day.

When my cousin bought a $800 Canada Goose jacket i laughed hysterically... Not to mention he waited 6 weeks for it because it was backordered...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I got a coat by The North Face a couple of years ago at The Expedition Shoppe in Ottawa. I think it was $450 including taxes (there was a $50 coupon that came with buying that brand, so I used that to pay for some very warm gloves). That coat is very light and very warm - no problem walking in -30C temperatures with it (it hasn't really gotten colder than that since I've had it). Of course it's not made in Canada.

I get the impression that for Kanuk you have to either buy online or visit their store in Montreal? I like to try a coat on before buying it. I liked the Columbia coats in pictures, but when I tried them on I wasn't so thrilled.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
reply to peterboro
-14 here and that's cold enough.

My rule of thumb is anything less than -1 and I'm wearing long johns.