uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to peterboro

Re: Is it cold or am I a whiney little bitch?

True enough. They are one of, if not outright, the best batteries out there.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
I picked up a yellow top in the Skyline GT-R I bought last summer. The car was raced in Japan with all sorts of upgrades. As the yellowtop was free I'll give it a try for a few years.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
reply to peterboro
Have some fun with the cold weather, with a side order of 'science': Throw a cup of boiling water up in the air.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
That should be shown to people in Florida who walk around in Parkas, like I see every year, when it drops down to the 50s.

Great way to set the stage for a slip and fall lawsuit as all the evidence of negligence is on video if they didn't salt the sidewalk later.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to peterboro
Anyone else check the electrolyte fluid level of their battery (even if its mark maintenance free) and add distilled water accordingly?

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to peterboro
It's cold in Halifax... It's -15 C.... I'm one of the few that's hoping global warming will come true... LOL

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Anyone else check the electrolyte fluid level of their battery (even if its mark maintenance free) and add distilled water accordingly?

I haven't done that for over a decade on the regular batteries and rely on the warranty only. Besides if the level is low there are regulator issues in the charging circuit to address. On the Optima batteries there is a gel inside anyways.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

reply to vue666
said by vue666:

It's cold in Halifax... It's -15 C.... I'm one of the few that's hoping global warming will come true... LOL

Don't get you know who started in here least we get a barrage of apocalyptic predictions.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

The trick is now that most "maintenance free" batteries are in fact sealed so that there is no way to top up the battery if the water level drops.

NefCanuck

Jethro86

join:2005-05-27
Winchester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

I've had a mercury thermometer outside my kitchen window for the past 20 years. It's not like the suckers wear out or expire ya know

And I don't need to put new batteries in my mercury thermometer.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

I think Ford does quite well with their batteries for some reason...I don't ever remember my parents changing the battery on their 1992 Tempo...and they had that thing for 7 years and they had bougtht it used in 1994...so...9 years on the original battery...

Maybe things were differnet then...you didn't have high tech gadgets, no power windows, no power this and super duper stereos and whatnot....like Alkaline...apparently those batteries aren't good enough now you need Lithium-ion batteries for your cameras and whatnot...

I just think the cars power needs have changed, computer has to run on it all the time now vs back in the day with the carbureators and mechanical and no electronics, basically dear car, use battery to start me and that's it, no digital readouts/gauges and whatnot...

I think that's why batteries don't last as long as they used to, as I'm sure Car battery technology hasn't improved over the same 20+ years...

Am I right?

no. I just help change a battery in a co-worker's (from Sudbury) battery yesterday in his 2009 F-150 (in Barrie).

cpsycho

join:2008-06-03
HarperLand
reply to peterboro
It's not too bad out. I have been going out in a tee shirt and spring jacket.

Personally when the temperature goes above 16c I start to feel hot. If its below -15 then I start to feel a little cold and have to switch to a winter jacket.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

said by nitzguy:

I think Ford does quite well with their batteries for some reason...I don't ever remember my parents changing the battery on their 1992 Tempo...and they had that thing for 7 years and they had bougtht it used in 1994...so...9 years on the original battery...

Maybe things were differnet then...you didn't have high tech gadgets, no power windows, no power this and super duper stereos and whatnot....like Alkaline...apparently those batteries aren't good enough now you need Lithium-ion batteries for your cameras and whatnot...

I just think the cars power needs have changed, computer has to run on it all the time now vs back in the day with the carbureators and mechanical and no electronics, basically dear car, use battery to start me and that's it, no digital readouts/gauges and whatnot...

I think that's why batteries don't last as long as they used to, as I'm sure Car battery technology hasn't improved over the same 20+ years...

Am I right?

no. I just help change a battery in a co-worker's (from Sudbury) battery yesterday in his 2009 F-150 (in Barrie).

10-4. I'm thinking I don't give a full charge to my battery now that my commute is so short (5km), and that might be why my battery failed me as it didn't get a good enough charge on the way to work and then sat in -30c weather otherwise, because after giving it a charge in -39c weather by driving for about 45 minutes, it fired up no problems in the morning.

Some might say, what a waste of gas, but truth be told, it was a 3 hour wait for a boost from CAA here in Sudbury and at the cost, running an hours worth of gas (probably about 7 or 8L / 100km at $1.25/L) or about $10 bucks, was cheaper than waiting for a boost...

Don't get me started about these RadioCode resets though...I had it out with the dealership...had I known that this was the design for it to "lock out" if the battery dies I might have just decided to replace the whole thing then and there....

Anywho....its starting to warm up...