drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

Mafia Vote Counter

All,

In my (not so copious) amount of free-time, I am re-writing my Mafia Vote Counter (web edition) in .NET 4.5 using MVC.

I've got it running on Azure using Continuous Integration - so anytime I check it into my source control, a build is kicked off and sent to the web.

You can find it at for the forseeable future: »mafiavotecounter.azurewebsites.net/

I do not have:
•Voting enabled
•User registration/creation
•Adding/removing players after game creation
•Support for "custom roles" (I really enjoy my enum for this, but I'm wondering if it's going to be a hindrance

You can see some cool things... for example:
When you create a game and select "C9", it will auto-generate the game setup for you based on our standard C9 set ups. It is as random as a proper-usage of the Random class in .NET will ever be (using a Fisher-Yates shuffle) - picks the 1-4 setup (randomly), randomizes the list of roles, then players and then adds the role to the player. This also happens for F11 and Dethy. CG-style will take a lot more time and effort.

I hope to see it basically (allowing vote counting & post generation) working in the next two to three weeks.

Until I have it functionally working as well as my current app, data will not persist between builds.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

Thanks for the update it looks promising.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to drew

I'd like to try it out sometime, but thanks for working on it.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
reply to drew

Sounds pretty awesome. Thanks for working on it.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1
reply to drew

Looks awesome!

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1

Do you think you could put in the ability for custom voting behaviors? (Like allowing someone to vote for multiple people at the same time, hated/beloved town support, etc)

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

I've got the rough model for a one-to-many relationship between player entity & vote entity.

I have not built in what a vote means and how many votes it takes to lynch someone. My current plan is to support hated/beloved players.

Both multi-vote & hated/beloved are de-coupled from the player role as I think it would be far too limiting, especially for CG-style.

One of the primary goals here is to make the set-up of a standard game (C9, F11, AITP, Dethy) significantly easier on the moderator. Taking that ease of set-up in mind, I want voting to be easier as well, especially with multiple record updates in one update. I don't like how long it takes to process all the votes in the current web app. Too many postbacks.

There is a lot more work to be done. I am also thinking about allowing multi-mod support (it's currently a one-to-one relationship between game and mod, but should be relatively easy to turn it to one-to-many). The challenge there would be creating an easy way to add a mod without being required to know their email address. I may add a "public token" type thing that you can share with people to allow them to add you to the game as a mod. I don't want to waste time with a send request -> receive request -> approve/deny request workflow.
--

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Another thing that may not be readily apparent, but when you create a game of a specified type- you are only presented with roles available for that game type. This is why you can create a C9 game and only have the four vanilla roles, but a F11 has the four plus mafia RB. This is actually really cool but is NOT dynamic - I have to set up the enums with an attribute class.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to drew

Can you just take it to the next step and turn it into a mafia-game generator/handler for your phone? It would save me a ton of work that I promise myself that I'll do and never get done.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Haha, no.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to drew

Checked in a new build.

•Added support for votes: Including multi-voting, hated/beloved townie.

»mafiavotecounter.azurewebsites.net

It should not dump data every few minutes anymore either.
--

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to drew

I just got user accounts working and everything "locked down" to registered users as well as filtered out.

Haven't put it up yet as I am not sure it works 100%.

Next up:
•"Lynching" players
•Adding/removing players in a game after creation.
--

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to drew

Hey...

It's actually all working now. Other than not having custom role ability - (and the roles mean nothing other than for auto-setup which is impossible with a crazy game), you can do everything you wan through the new app!

Actually, I lied. No Lynch is not an option yet but it should be a quick addition sometime this week.

PLEASE use the site and let me know.
--

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4
reply to drew

Been playing around a little bit. Feedback using Chrome.

*In setting up a game, it asks for a player list, but then dumps that entire list as one player.

*Disable the onclick for the extraVote button. The first time I clicked it, it took me to an error page and I thought it took all my roster changes with it. Subsequent clicks didn't bring anything up.

*Maybe re-label Manage to indicate that's where the votes happen.

*I love the intuitiveness of the voting system, eg removing players when lynched automatically.

Overall, looks great. Really nice job.
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

You're supposed to enter it comma, semicolon or pipe separated. I should make the tooltip show up more clearly... however, I think new lines are probably intuitive, so I just figured out how to break on new lines. I hope it works cross-browser...

I thought I'd done a event.preventDefault(); already. Thanks for catching that.

I changed it to voting. It's not just voting, but that's what every one thinks it is, so I guess that's legit.

I like how flexible it is too... the automagic setup for c9, f11 and dethy is pretty legit, I think.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

I plan on checking this out this week.