Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to cableties

to cableties

Re: Doors

said by cableties:

said by Draiman:

... Just go with a standard solid core FIBERGLASS fire-rated 20 minute door...

Becareful with Fiberglass doors, if facing south/southwest sun. I think it was here, someone showed a distorted door from the sun.

"Wood doors will warp and twist over time because of moisture absorption. Fiberglass doors will never warp or rot in humid climates or cold conditions. Wood doors are almost constantly in need of refinishing and protection from the elements. Fiberglass entry doors need almost no maintenance, even less maintenance than steel doors. Eventually, despite technology's best efforts, steel doors will start to rust if they are not cared for. A lot can be done to inhibit rusting but you still need to maintain steel doors to keep them in like-new condition."
»www.diynetwork.com/windo ··· dex.html

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound

Premium Member

Before this goes too far off-topic by your suggesting door types the OP didn't appear to be interested in, please explain what moisture damage has to do with possible sun damage to fiberglass doors cableties was referring to.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Asiabound:

Before this goes too far off-topic by your suggesting door types the OP didn't appear to be interested in, please explain what moisture damage has to do with possible sun damage to fiberglass doors cableties was referring to.

said by cableties:

Becareful with Fiberglass doors, if facing south/southwest sun. I think it was here, someone showed a distorted door from the sun.

dis·tort verb \di-strt\

Definition of DISTORT
transitive verb
1: to twist out of the true meaning or proportion
2: to twist out of a natural, normal, or original shape or condition
»www.merriam-webster.com/ ··· /distort

I have no idea what distorted has to do with wood warping. *double facepalm*

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

cableties

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

Not with WOOD, with fiberglass. Fiberglass has highest coefficient of thermal expansion, followed by steel.
A Fiberglass door that faces the sun all day with have thermal bowing (so I used distortion...big whoop! it will not be original shape after thermal expansion...thus distortion could be correct)
Do I need to explain what bowing is? How it affects door sealing?

Ya know. I am just going to not post anymore. I was only suggesting to avoid installing fiberglass doors (like front doors to home) that face direct sun. Nothing about moisture. Nothing about rot.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

4 edits

Draiman

said by cableties:

said by Draiman:

Not with WOOD, with fiberglass. Fiberglass has highest coefficient of thermal expansion, followed by steel.
A Fiberglass door that faces the sun all day with have thermal bowing (so I used distortion...big whoop! it will not be original shape after thermal expansion...thus distortion could be correct)
Do I need to explain what bowing is? How it affects door sealing?

Ya know. I am just going to not post anymore. I was only suggesting to avoid installing fiberglass doors (like front doors to home) that face direct sun. Nothing about moisture. Nothing about rot.

We know what you tried to say but it was FALSE.

"Variations in temperature from one side of the door to the other can create thermal bowing as recognized by the Door and Hardware Institute as inherent in all materials."

Given the above statement the only differences are rot, moisture, etc. so that was posted to correct the FALSE reference. You suggested avoiding a fiberglass door over something that's inherent to all doors. Even when fiberglass has been proven to fair the BEST out of the door materials. It's the LEAST likely to happen too.

»Re: Steel door vs Fiberglass?