MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4

Re: Best Tires On Back Axle

said by Bob4:

OK, but it's a serious question: At what point does the difference in tread depth become a problem?

I personally don't see an issue with the scenario you described. A little common sense is needed.

New tires on the front, and 5 year old tires with 4/32" on the rear, I would be more concerned.
We have arrived at this situation because the lawyers will take advantage of any opportunity to make a buck, and people are always looking for a reason why an accident wasn't their fault.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

OK, but it's a serious question: At what point does the difference in tread depth become a problem?

not at all when they are both bald as hell.

basic thing, if the conditions are beyond what the tire can support at the tread level it is at you will have issues, if not, the difference doesn't really matter too much, IE: don't try to out drive the tires.

easiest is just don't drive to the limit of the best tire. if you know the rear ones are bad figure out where their limit is, and drive accordingly.

but try telling your average all season awd SUV driver to drive according to the conditions, you get some amusing replies.

:edit: yea completely forgot the lawyer thing, that's going to be an issue no matter how big/small, front/back the difference is.

CL65AMG
@67.21.182.x

CL65AMG to deke40

Anon

to deke40

Note!
Your vehicle came from the factory with "Staggered Fitments", meaning the front and rear tire sizes are different.

245/40-19 (Front)
275/35-19 (Rear)

So what do I do? lol.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Open your wallet on a regular basis.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to deke40

Premium Member

to deke40
said by deke40:

said by TheTechGuru:

said by SysOp:

Logic? Why not just buy 4 new tires or buy a new car already?

In this economy only people with credit can afford to get all 4 tires at once, that's nearly $800 for most non subcompacts to get a decent quality brand.

$840 to be exact for 215/50R17 95V XL 440 AA A Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Grand-Touring All Season including lifetime balancing.(09 HHR)

Bridgestone/firestone tire still have unsolved tread separation issues use that brand at your own risk
It was a tire from 2010 so it was not that old at lest I notice it before it cause a crash from a blow out.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
join:2003-01-23
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

said by Anonymous_:

Bridgestone/firestone tire still have unsolved tread separation issues use that brand at your own risk

My original Firestones lasted 44000 miles and the two Bridgestones lasted 41k and the back two still have 6/32nds on them with no problems what so ever. Maybe they are not all bad.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by deke40:

My original Firestones lasted 44000 miles and the two Bridgestones lasted 41k...
Maybe they are not all bad.

That's pretty crappy. My Michelins had 110k on them and were still above the tread wear bars.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

Look for tires with a treadwear rating around 800.

I like Pirelli P4 Four Seasons which have a treadwear rating of 760 and a 85,000 mile warranty.

Another to look at is Michelin Defender and Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All Season