uniqs

mindlesstux
join:2004-09-20
Wake Forest, NC
ARRIS SB6183
MikroTik hAP AC

mindlesstux

Question + A rant

First, the civilized question, is there new firmware being pushed out or something requiring remote modem resets? In the CLT market.

Now the rant...
*rant*
I read how peoples modems would reset their configuration sometimes and I thought they were being a little silly. Now I know I did not push the reset button around 3:41am (Based on router logs later in rant) this morning. I only knew to look at my mikrotik router is when I got into work I saw I had an email about my NTP server acting up. First I tried VPNing into my mikrotik router (behind the 2wire) and could not get to it, no go on ping as well. Luckily I have a 24/7 vpn to the office from home. Checked the work router, yep new IP. So I instinctively tried to SSH to my router (over public IP) to update configs and no go. (WTF went through my mind at this point.) I sshed in over the VPN connection and checked what IPs my router was getting. I'll be damned if I did not see two 172 addresses assigned to it, instead of the public and 172 addresses. I get the feeling when I get home the 2wires wifi will be on (instead of being off) and the password to the router would be reset as well back to factory along with all the port forwards going away too.

Getting a new public IP does not bother me as much but still bothers me. From what I have been reading I thought I would not have gotten a new IP unless my port was changed at the VRAD? OR what I think might have happened, an area did a reset and 10s if not 100s of modems all grabbing ips at same time somewhere I got new ip in the shuffle.

Now I feel better
*/rant*
mindlesstux

mindlesstux

Guess I should have read other posts first,

I think I might have been wrapped up in,
»Significant outage across Southeast US?

Still does not explain the 2wire reset though.