TSI Phil
TSI PhilR
Premium Member
join:2009-01-26
Chatham, ON

TSI Phil to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

Re: [Cable] Youtube lags at night still, upgrade cache servers?

Hey Guspaz I've added you to the list, I already have your details.

AOD
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
M9B

AOD

Premium Member

said by TSI Phil:

Hey Guspaz I've added you to the list, I already have your details.

With the videos above, i also have issues streaming them in 1080p
Pampers
join:2013-01-18

Pampers

I am currently on Bell DSL 6mbit in Mississauga and can confirm there were issues last night watching videos. So it's not just TSI (I'm guessing).

I used to upload videos to Youtube and had channel with 100's of videos. When I uploaded an H264 Sony codec, it would buffer very slow.

When I uploaded WMV, it would buffer very quick. Same settings, same quality.

I think the truth is, none of us really know what the issue is. For this particular task of streaming video it could be so many things.

I have a *hunch*, it's the buffering is the 'QoS' that Youtube has been trying to implement the past year. Youtube no longer buffers the whole video likely to save costs.

There's also codec issues that also seem likely. This stuff is 'ever changing'.

Last night I tried to view a video that would not stream in 480p. Then I could go to another HD vid and it would play fine.

Also, I'm sure many of us have reloaded the videos and then kaboom it buffers quick. Again, this could be a Youtube buffering/logic error in the player.

I should note that last night I tried to play videos in IE, Firefox, HTML 5, Shockwave etc. - Nothing worked. Both were the same in the same player.

The last think I have not tried is playing with video card settings or 'software' rendering. Who knows the player could be 'guessing' what is happening on our end and incorrectly requesting more data to be sent through... that would be a logic error on Youtube's part. And it could be this is the core problem.

Also, I should note that on my iPad 2 which I have *NOT* updated the OS, I can stream everything fine. No stopping. It's my PC that is bad and having issues.

People who are 'Youtube heads' like me will likely notice 'more' problems than the casual YouTube user. It could also be that.

But given the evidence, I'm not sure there is a problem with TSI in specific. However.. I will say that it couldn't surprise me if this was another 'Canadian only' problem if you know what I mean...

And I have a hunch it's the latter that will just have to 'wait out' until things get better in a couple of years.

Again I'm on Bell DSL and also having issues.