uniqs
share rss forum feed

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

Copy file from Time Machine

I need to copy a couple of photos from an old Time Machine backup. I don't see any way to get to the files. When I launch Time Machine, I can get to the date I want, but the only thing I see is my iPhoto Library, which is 65GB. I just need to copy a couple of photos. I don't want to restore them, just copy them so I can email them to someone. Any ideas?
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Try right clicking (or ctrl+click) and select Show Package Contents... I am not in front a Mac now so I can't double check... But I think that allows to open the iPhoto library and you can find individual files.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH

1 edit
I tried that, but Show Package Contents isn't an option. If I Control Click on the iPhoto Library file on my iMac's hard drive, Show Package Contents is an option. Doing the same within Time Machine doesn't show it.

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH
reply to bjf123
You need to restore the whole iPhoto Library (which sucks).
»support.apple.com/kb/HT4927?view ··· le=en_US

What I would do is restore the library to a different folder and then open it up, export the pictures you need.
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH
Thanks. That seems like a lot of work, but if it's the only way.....

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
Willoughby, OH

1 edit
I agree, shouldn't be that much work.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to vukodlak75
said by vukodlak75:

You need to restore the whole iPhoto Library (which sucks).
»support.apple.com/kb/HT4927?view ··· le=en_US

LOL, how ass backwards...

I didn't like the idea of all the content being in a library file, especially for situations like this or other recovery situations.

Whats wrong with just the files being there by themselves? It worked for so many years, iTunes is still like this...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
said by HiVolt:

LOL, how ass backwards...

I didn't like the idea of all the content being in a library file, especially for situations like this or other recovery situations.

Whats wrong with just the files being there by themselves? It worked for so many years, iTunes is still like this...

They're not in a library file; the Library is just a folder. You can access the individual files because they are there by themselves.

To prove it, try this: open Terminal.app, and type cd ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/. You'll see everything inside the Library, including the "Originals" and "Modified" folders that actually contain the picture files.

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
Willoughby, OH
Right, but Time Machine won't let you do this. It's all or nothing with Time Machine.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
If you browse the time machine folder manually in Finder, you should be able to access the individual files.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
reply to vukodlak75
Not by my computer, but isn't there a Smart Album in Finder set up for Pictures? If so, can't one look there?

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to vukodlak75
said by vukodlak75:

Right, but Time Machine won't let you do this. It's all or nothing with Time Machine.

I can access everything fine with my TM backup; not sure why it's not working for bjf123 See Profile. Here's something else to try:

Navigate inside your iPhoto Library, one folder deeper:
$ cd /Volumes/Time\ Machine/Users/bjf123/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/Originals

Reveal that folder in the Finder:
$ open -R .

RogueMonk
Premium
join:2003-02-11
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

If you browse the time machine folder manually in Finder, you should be able to access the individual files.

I have tried this before, but the files seem like they are all compressed somehow. Its not a mirror file-for-fil backup. (From what I can tell.)
--
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliott

RogueMonk
Premium
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to squircle
said by squircle:

said by vukodlak75:

I can access everything fine with my TM backup; not sure why it's not working for bjf123 See Profile. Here's something else to try:

Navigate inside your iPhoto Library, one folder deeper:
$ cd /Volumes/Time\ Machine/Users/bjf123/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/Originals

Reveal that folder in the Finder:
$ open -R .

That works for me.

--
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliott

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to bjf123
Slight hijack, but somewhat related...
I noticed a while ago (another backup drive), in Finder I could see a listing of all the backed up files, by date, and the ability to navigate to all the files (like regular Finder).
I hooked up a new drive and all I see is a massive parsbundle (sp?) file.
What allowed me to see all the backed up files and why can't I see them anymore?
Thanks!

RogueMonk
Premium
Stoney Creek, ON

1 recommendation

said by haroldo:

Slight hijack, but somewhat related...
I noticed a while ago (another backup drive), in Finder I could see a listing of all the backed up files, by date, and the ability to navigate to all the files (like regular Finder).
I hooked up a new drive and all I see is a massive parsbundle (sp?) file.
What allowed me to see all the backed up files and why can't I see them anymore?
Thanks!

I believe you have to actually mount the Time Machine volume and not just the drive on which the TM volume is located.
To do this, just double click on the sparsebundle, give it a few seconds and the TM should be accessible through finder.
--

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to bjf123
See lads.......!! Time Machine just makes even simple copy commands waaaay too complicated!!!!!