horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

horacebork to Bhutan Bob

Premium Member

to Bhutan Bob

Re: [Voip.ms] porting land-line number from verizon

said by Bhutan Bob :

1) No, there is no form from Verizon. You fill out forms for the new carrier.

right. done that.
said by Bhutan Bob :

2) Part of the problem here is that you are trying to do work normally done by the CLEC that works for your desired new VoIP provider.

right. wouldn'ta even tried 'cept voip.ms said that without me asking them to obtain something from verizon, they couldn't proceed with the port.
said by Bhutan Bob :

3) If you do have to talk to Verizon yourself, you need to be polite but firm. Explain that you have made many calls already, ask that the problem be "escalated" to a "Level 2" supervisor or words to that effect. You have to say escalated. Or you can ask to speak to the team that handles "LNP" or "number porting".

i'll give that a try tomorrow. can't wait. %-}
said by Bhutan Bob :

4) Are you registered on Verizon's website? You can probably print off a lot of your account data from the Verizon website. It may be enough.

yes. i am looking at it right now. not sure what information i could save from this site that would help voip.ms. it's all broken down into glacially-paced screen fades and popups. neat. if there is a concise 'report' of services page, i'm not sure where it is.
said by Bhutan Bob :

5) If all else fails, go to the FCC website and file a porting complaint with the FCC, against Verizon.

done. they will send it to verizon so it can get buried in peat moss for a few months before being recycled into lighters. (badly plagiarized).
horacebork

1 edit

horacebork to MichelR

Premium Member

to MichelR
said by MichelR:

Yep, that's all I had to do. I sent a scan of my most recent invoice with my signature on it, and the port went ahead without any problems, port was done in the expected timeframe.

this is *exactly* what i sent in to voip.ms to initiate the port request. they have tried the port a few times and so far, nothing has happened except sending me a bunch of cryptic, techno-jargon emails from voip.ms stating i have to get verizon to send me a csr or add another btn to my account or some other such mumbo jumbo. verizon says my number can be ported from my account without any problems.

someone is issuing static. i still don't know who, just yet. i suspect verizon at this point.

if there is a simple way to get this done, i have not discovered it.
shoulda already been did by now.

Bhutan Bob
@optonline.net

Bhutan Bob to horacebork

Anon

to horacebork
Actually, the FCC does take an interest in number porting complaints. Nothing can be guaranteed, but it is worth doing, they have stepped in sometimes.

Regarding the Verizon Website, it couldn't hurt to send a support request to them by e-mail or by live chat.

Try live chat first, if they are fools too you can always try e-mail. It's all under Support....Contact.

Verizon has many different geographic divisions and different lines of business. Nevertheless, here is a sample of a Customer Service Record right from a Verizon website:

(Word 97-03 DOC document)
»www22.verizon.com/wholes ··· NE_P.doc

horacebork
Premium Member

horacebork

Premium Member

the chat was fruitless. with the direct link you provided the person gave me the typical response, then was adamant. below is the transcript. should i expect anything different from email support at this point? i have no confidence that verizon can or will send me a csr.

Your Question:i need help obtaining my csr (customer service record)
[deleted information about account number, etc.]
Stephen(09:24:33): You can view your records online at www.verizon.com
horacebork(09:24:54): where is the link to my csr?
Stephen(09:25:29): You will probably find most items you need under the profile page. What exactly are you looking for.
horacebork(09:25:59): the customer service record report. verizon has an example of this report on their
Stephen(09:26:34): That looks like billing information
Stephen(09:26:44): You have the ability to download your online bill [.. nonsense about online bill deleted ..]
horacebork(09:27:03): it looks like a report to me. it's not like any bill i have seen. i already have my bill
Stephen(09:28:51): Reviewing it further, that looks like some basic codes for one of our systems.
Stephen(09:29:01): You do not have access to it. Sorry about that.
horacebork(09:30:16): the customer service record isn't proprietary, is it? it looks like information that's relating to my account.
Stephen(09:30:36): Sure the records in our database it is.
horacebork(09:31:11): ok. maybe the record itself is, but the paper print out can be sent to me.
Stephen(09:31:32): Nope sorry.
Stephen(09:33:16): Sorry I cannot help you with that.
Stephen(09:33:27): All set for now?
horacebork

2 edits

horacebork

Premium Member

i am being asked by voip.ms:

"Also, please remember that the rejection our carrier was given is as follows: Since this is a partial port and the telephone number to be ported is also the BTN (billing telephone number), a new BTN will need to be established before the order can be submitted. Please contact your current carrier to assign the new BTN and respond to this ticket with what the new BTN will be."

so my question is how can i say 'please assign a new btn to my account' but use normal consumer vocabulary? i don't want to make them get all defensive and ask all sorts of strange questions like 'why do you want this?'

also, does this mean i am going to be adding some cost to my bill?
i suppose that's ok since i'm gonna drop verizon like a hot potato as soon as the port is complete.
i just want this port to happen at this point.

Bhutan Bob
@optonline.net

Bhutan Bob

Anon

said by horacebork:

"Also, please remember that the rejection our carrier was given is as follows: Since this is a partial port and the telephone number to be ported is also the BTN (billing telephone number), a new BTN will need to be established before the order can be submitted. Please contact your current carrier to assign the new BTN and respond to this ticket with what the new BTN will be."

so my question is how can i say 'please assign a new btn to my account' but use normal consumer vocabulary? i don't want to make them get all defensive and ask all sorts of strange questions like 'why do you want this?'

Well, on that specific point Verizon is right.

Rather than port out all of your Verizon numbers (complete port) you are only porting out one (partial port).

And that's fine, except that the number you want to port is the MAIN number on the account---the Billing Telephone Number (BTN).

Because you still are keeping some other Verizon numbers, Verizon naturally needs to know which of THOSE numbers should now be designated as the BTN.

Your choices are:

1) Make it a complete port, not a partial port.

OR

2) Explain to Verzion that you want to port the specific number away as a partial port, so that you need the BTN to be changed on your Verizon account. There's no dishonor in porting, and you will need to be upfront about it.

I was otherwise going to suggest that you see if FutureNine or CallCentric could get your port done, but frankly they are not going to have any better luck because of this BTN situation.

Again, Verzion has a point because you wanted to port out the BTN while leaving other numbers intact. That probably created this whole mess, and created the request for the CSR.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to horacebork

Premium Member

to horacebork
It seem to me from reading the thread that you're trying to port one of your numbers from them (Partial Port), and the number is the Main number that is also used as the BILLING number for your Verizon Account, and becasue you're not porting them all, they need to assign a new main number and billing number.

They are complicating things due to their policy but it seem to me that's the only thing that needs to be done for this to complete.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to horacebork

Premium Member

to horacebork
said by horacebork:

i'm gonna drop verizon like a hot potato as soon as the port is complete.

said by horacebork:

verizon looks at my account and says there is one btn on my account and no other services like dsl, wireless, tv or anything.

Just to clarify, what are you going to drop as soon as the port is complete? By definition, completing the port means you drop your landline service. Do you have any other landlines or ANYTHING with Verizon?

horacebork
Premium Member

horacebork

Premium Member

mango

i really appreciate you helping to delve into the problem. one-by-one:

1. i will drop *all*verizon*service* as soon as the port is complete. they have been nothing but a headache from the start.

2. i have *no*other*landlines or ANYTHING with verizon. used to have dsl, and that was dropped 2 years hence. the *only* thing i send *any* money to verizon for is my *single* land line.

(#2 is the crux of the problems: voip.ms' carrier claims verizon is telling them this is a partial port and they won't have a btn if they port this number away. verizon tells *me* there is only the single land line number and it can be ported at any time.)
horacebork

horacebork

Premium Member

**update**

just received this from voip.ms:

'We have contacted our carrier many times and we were given the following message: "We are currently in the process of disputing this rejection with Verizon. We were able to see the CSR information and have provided that in our dispute. Please standby. Thank you for your patience."
Please reply if by next week you have received no updates regarding this, we will be happy to follow up.'

.. so the carrier for voip.ms got *their* hands on a csr (?)
now how in blazes could *they* get ahold of it when i am turned away at every point?

if this works, tho, i'm not gonna get testy over it =)
just count my lucky stars that it happened at all!

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev to horacebork

Premium Member

to horacebork
said by horacebork:

1. i will drop *all*verizon*service* as soon as the port is complete. they have been nothing but a headache from the start.

Did you tell this to voip.ms?

I think your problems will be resolved if you provide voip.ms a list of ALL numbers on your account, itemized as "please PORT these numbers: a, b, and c; please DISCONNECT these numbers: d, e, and f"

Once Verizon has this entire list on the port request there won't be any stranded numbers and no need to designate a new BTN.

Disclaimer: I have far more experience with Canadian porting than I do American porting, so I could be off base here... but that's how I would arrange such a request when Bell or Telus are playing dumb.

horacebork
Premium Member

horacebork

Premium Member

trev

again.. if i had other numbers, i would have provided them to voip.ms.
this entire problem is 'he-said-she-said' with yours-truly in the middle.
re-read the thread and you'll see what i mean.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

There's no secondary number that gives you a double ring or anything like that?

horacebork
Premium Member

horacebork

Premium Member

trev

not a single blessed thing like that.
as far as i can tell on my bill (and what i've been paying for all these years)..
and as far as anyone at verizon will tell me (and seems to be correct)..
there is only the one number on my bill.

let's put it this way: if there is a second number on my account, i have no idea what the number is, who's paying for it and where it rings.

suppafly
Premium Member
join:2009-11-27

suppafly to horacebork

Premium Member

to horacebork
Hello Horace

It is in the case of these rejections that our underlying carrier who is handling this specific port for us is requesting a copy of the CSR (Customer service record), or at least the specific customer´s name and address as it is listed on their CSR to lower the chance of receiving a rejection from the current provider.

Sometimes one can not get clear answers from the current provider because most of the first level service representatives may not be familiar of how porting works where something is rejected.

On these cases is recommended to request politely to be transferred directly to their porting department (sometimes called LNP department, for local number portability) and then request them the information from this number to assure a port out. I can not think there may be one LNP department from any provider where they would not know what an actual Customer Service Record is when their own website mentions it.

We apologize for this inconvenience however we can resubmit as soon as the CSR (or the information on it) is provided, to assure the current provider does not reject it again

I will handle any more questions you may have via your existing tickets of this porting request.

Regards

horacebork
Premium Member

horacebork

Premium Member

suppafly
said by suppafly:

... I will handle any more questions you may have via your existing tickets of this porting request.

i really appreciate you offering to go to bat for me at voip.ms.
i have pm'd you with the ticket numbers and voip.ms contact.
Expand your moderator at work
horacebork

1 recommendation

horacebork

Premium Member

good news all.. voip.ms has provided me with an foc date (firm order confirmation) of 2/7.
it seems verizon has relinquished my number and is permitting the port away.

i'll keep you updated on the status of this port.
horacebork

2 edits

horacebork

Premium Member

success at last ... =D

the number port is complete.
it was started on 1/11/13 and just completed today 2/7/13
27 days, 2 rejections, dozens of calls and emails

thanks to the people at voip.ms who apparently had a big enough crowbar to get the number ported.
thanks to the people at dslreports on this thread for best-of-class commentary and direction.

no thanks to verizon for instigating a fiasco and stonewalling the port.
from my perspective, verizon was the problem in this. they never sent me the report i requested.
they never "added a btn" so the port could be completed. the rejection excuses given to voip.ms were completely false.
it was only after voip.ms got ahold of the csr (however they did *that*) did verizon cave in. good riddance.

now about canceling with verizon - any loopholes i should look out for? or just up and cancel service?

i have heard that 911 can remain active on a pots that has been deactivated. is this true?

Bhutan Bob
@optonline.net

Bhutan Bob

Anon

said by horacebork:

I have heard that 911 can remain active on a pots that has been deactivated. is this true?

See here for some discussion as to why you should NOT rely on this method for something as important as 911.
»Re: Cheap Standalone E911

Besides, if you are running VoIP through your phone lines, you would need to physically disconnect the POTS line at the Network Interface Device (NID) anyway.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to horacebork

MVM

to horacebork
As long as there is dial-tone on the line, 911 should be available, even if the service has been disconnected. This is mostly for liability reasons, and will vary depending on the practices of the local telco. The line will usually stay connected on the telco side, but the dial-tone will probably be turned off after 30 days of no service.

horacebork
Premium Member

2 edits

horacebork to Bhutan Bob

Premium Member

to Bhutan Bob

See here for some discussion as to why you should NOT rely on this method for something as important as 911.

is there a pot this guy *doesn't* have his fingers in? =)

Besides, if you are running VoIP through your phone lines, you would need to physically disconnect the POTS line at the Network Interface Device (NID) anyway.

not doing that, but good point. mine is run thru cable internet then wireless broadcast to handset from a base unit.
panasonic tgp500 -- nice device.
watice
join:2008-11-01
New York, NY

watice to horacebork

to horacebork

glad to see you had your issues resolved. I had some of the same issues porting from VZ to Voip.ms, as VMS insisted on a first & last name on a VZ business account that was registered to a company decades ago. I called for my CSR & after a long wait (& a convo with her supervisor i'm assuming), the vzcsr said my CSR would be mailed to my billing address in a few days. I received nothing, & ended up transferring the account to my personal name in order to port.

horacebork
Premium Member

1 edit

horacebork

Premium Member

Click for full size
verizon response to fcc about my complaint
watice,

sorry i didn't see this post. yes, vz is a royal pita when it comes to porting. there are other forums expressing the same opinion.

on another note, i just received a (cc'd) letter from verizon to the fcc about a complaint i raised with the fcc regarding verizon's lack of cooperation during the port.

it's nice to know that the fcc actually received my complaint and that something was done about it.
not that it matters much at this point in time because the lnp was completed over a month ago.

see the scanned copy. the gist of it is that vz essentially blames the new provider for not confirming the correct billing number.

they have the scan of my verizon bill and most assuredly gave them the correct one every time. after verizon rejected it for the 3rd time, you think they would have come up with a better excuse than that.

thanks voip.ms again for doing all the heavy lifting on this one.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

It's still good that you complained to the FCC, because Verizon did have to expend some energy responding to the complaint. And because the FCC notes trends in the aggregate.

My wife honks at drivers when they cut her off. I keep telling her somebody will shoot her one day but she insists that those drivers must learn that their bad behavior has consequences....