Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev to horacebork

Premium Member

to horacebork

Re: [Voip.ms] porting land-line number from verizon

said by horacebork:

1. i will drop *all*verizon*service* as soon as the port is complete. they have been nothing but a headache from the start.

Did you tell this to voip.ms?

I think your problems will be resolved if you provide voip.ms a list of ALL numbers on your account, itemized as "please PORT these numbers: a, b, and c; please DISCONNECT these numbers: d, e, and f"

Once Verizon has this entire list on the port request there won't be any stranded numbers and no need to designate a new BTN.

Disclaimer: I have far more experience with Canadian porting than I do American porting, so I could be off base here... but that's how I would arrange such a request when Bell or Telus are playing dumb.

horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

horacebork

Premium Member

trev

again.. if i had other numbers, i would have provided them to voip.ms.
this entire problem is 'he-said-she-said' with yours-truly in the middle.
re-read the thread and you'll see what i mean.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

There's no secondary number that gives you a double ring or anything like that?

horacebork
Premium Member

horacebork

Premium Member

trev

not a single blessed thing like that.
as far as i can tell on my bill (and what i've been paying for all these years)..
and as far as anyone at verizon will tell me (and seems to be correct)..
there is only the one number on my bill.

let's put it this way: if there is a second number on my account, i have no idea what the number is, who's paying for it and where it rings.

suppafly
Premium Member
join:2009-11-27

suppafly to horacebork

Premium Member

to horacebork
Hello Horace

It is in the case of these rejections that our underlying carrier who is handling this specific port for us is requesting a copy of the CSR (Customer service record), or at least the specific customer´s name and address as it is listed on their CSR to lower the chance of receiving a rejection from the current provider.

Sometimes one can not get clear answers from the current provider because most of the first level service representatives may not be familiar of how porting works where something is rejected.

On these cases is recommended to request politely to be transferred directly to their porting department (sometimes called LNP department, for local number portability) and then request them the information from this number to assure a port out. I can not think there may be one LNP department from any provider where they would not know what an actual Customer Service Record is when their own website mentions it.

We apologize for this inconvenience however we can resubmit as soon as the CSR (or the information on it) is provided, to assure the current provider does not reject it again

I will handle any more questions you may have via your existing tickets of this porting request.

Regards

horacebork
Premium Member

horacebork

Premium Member

suppafly
said by suppafly:

... I will handle any more questions you may have via your existing tickets of this porting request.

i really appreciate you offering to go to bat for me at voip.ms.
i have pm'd you with the ticket numbers and voip.ms contact.
Expand your moderator at work
horacebork

1 recommendation

horacebork

Premium Member

good news all.. voip.ms has provided me with an foc date (firm order confirmation) of 2/7.
it seems verizon has relinquished my number and is permitting the port away.

i'll keep you updated on the status of this port.
horacebork

2 edits

horacebork

Premium Member

success at last ... =D

the number port is complete.
it was started on 1/11/13 and just completed today 2/7/13
27 days, 2 rejections, dozens of calls and emails

thanks to the people at voip.ms who apparently had a big enough crowbar to get the number ported.
thanks to the people at dslreports on this thread for best-of-class commentary and direction.

no thanks to verizon for instigating a fiasco and stonewalling the port.
from my perspective, verizon was the problem in this. they never sent me the report i requested.
they never "added a btn" so the port could be completed. the rejection excuses given to voip.ms were completely false.
it was only after voip.ms got ahold of the csr (however they did *that*) did verizon cave in. good riddance.

now about canceling with verizon - any loopholes i should look out for? or just up and cancel service?

i have heard that 911 can remain active on a pots that has been deactivated. is this true?

Bhutan Bob
@optonline.net

Bhutan Bob

Anon

said by horacebork:

I have heard that 911 can remain active on a pots that has been deactivated. is this true?

See here for some discussion as to why you should NOT rely on this method for something as important as 911.
»Re: Cheap Standalone E911

Besides, if you are running VoIP through your phone lines, you would need to physically disconnect the POTS line at the Network Interface Device (NID) anyway.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to horacebork

MVM

to horacebork
As long as there is dial-tone on the line, 911 should be available, even if the service has been disconnected. This is mostly for liability reasons, and will vary depending on the practices of the local telco. The line will usually stay connected on the telco side, but the dial-tone will probably be turned off after 30 days of no service.

horacebork
Premium Member

2 edits

horacebork to Bhutan Bob

Premium Member

to Bhutan Bob

See here for some discussion as to why you should NOT rely on this method for something as important as 911.

is there a pot this guy *doesn't* have his fingers in? =)

Besides, if you are running VoIP through your phone lines, you would need to physically disconnect the POTS line at the Network Interface Device (NID) anyway.

not doing that, but good point. mine is run thru cable internet then wireless broadcast to handset from a base unit.
panasonic tgp500 -- nice device.
watice
join:2008-11-01
New York, NY

watice to horacebork

to horacebork

glad to see you had your issues resolved. I had some of the same issues porting from VZ to Voip.ms, as VMS insisted on a first & last name on a VZ business account that was registered to a company decades ago. I called for my CSR & after a long wait (& a convo with her supervisor i'm assuming), the vzcsr said my CSR would be mailed to my billing address in a few days. I received nothing, & ended up transferring the account to my personal name in order to port.

horacebork
Premium Member

1 edit

horacebork

Premium Member

Click for full size
verizon response to fcc about my complaint
watice,

sorry i didn't see this post. yes, vz is a royal pita when it comes to porting. there are other forums expressing the same opinion.

on another note, i just received a (cc'd) letter from verizon to the fcc about a complaint i raised with the fcc regarding verizon's lack of cooperation during the port.

it's nice to know that the fcc actually received my complaint and that something was done about it.
not that it matters much at this point in time because the lnp was completed over a month ago.

see the scanned copy. the gist of it is that vz essentially blames the new provider for not confirming the correct billing number.

they have the scan of my verizon bill and most assuredly gave them the correct one every time. after verizon rejected it for the 3rd time, you think they would have come up with a better excuse than that.

thanks voip.ms again for doing all the heavy lifting on this one.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

It's still good that you complained to the FCC, because Verizon did have to expend some energy responding to the complaint. And because the FCC notes trends in the aggregate.

My wife honks at drivers when they cut her off. I keep telling her somebody will shoot her one day but she insists that those drivers must learn that their bad behavior has consequences....