uniqs
Moostang
join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX

1 recommendation

Moostang to Zorack

to Zorack

Re: Ipv6

I wouldn't be too anxious for IPv6. If they do it like other ISP's have, new customers will be native IPv6 but for any non-ipv6 destinations, you will be CG-NAT'd to a shared IPv4 address which will pretty much break any server based applications that are not ready for IPv6.

For example, if you want to host a Vent server it will have to be IPv6 only because you will not have your own ipv4 address.

Demog
@cebridge.net

Demog

Anon

Pretty typical thread on this board....

Question: When is SL going to support some new technology that other ISPs already have?

Answer: You don't need it, it is stupid. Keep paying your bill.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

1 recommendation

moldypickle

Premium Member

Even more typical on this board....

Randoms coming in thinking they're hot shit. Pretty damn sure that no one said we don't need IPv6, extremely sure that no one said it was stupid, and positive this has nothing to do with paying the bill.

Would like to thank you for your utterly useless addition to this thread and kindly ask you to climb back under the bridge you were hiding under.

Trolls, piss me straight off
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to Moostang

to Moostang
said by Moostang:

I wouldn't be too anxious for IPv6. If they do it like other ISP's have, new customers will be native IPv6 but for any non-ipv6 destinations, you will be CG-NAT'd to a shared IPv4 address which will pretty much break any server based applications that are not ready for IPv6.

For example, if you want to host a Vent server it will have to be IPv6 only because you will not have your own ipv4 address.

CG-NAT will be in use even if you're not using IPv6. One has nothing to do with the other.

Demog
@cebridge.net

Demog

Anon

MP...surely you are a SLer, you weigh in on every post, pro SL, and attack others with differing opinions

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Hello again troll. Clearly you don't read my posts as I'm on both sides of the bridge. You'd also know that I don't work for them in any way shape or form if you've read my posts as I've said as much many times. That is also assuming that's what SLer means O.o

So again, thanks for posting Mr. Anon, but I would also like you to show me where I have attacked anyone else because they have a different opinion. The entire point of a forum on the internet is to bring together people or either similar or different points of views and let them discuss the topic which is what we have been doing. Pretty sure I would also have been banned after all these years of 'attacking others' -.-

Better luck w/ the trolling next time!

Moostang, what benefit do you get on your network running a dual stack currently. Is there any gain currently, or just that you are configured for when it is needed? Also, are you tunneling out of the router or just your computer?
Moostang
join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX

Moostang

Moldypickle, the only real benefit to running dual stack is I am able to pass all of the Hurricane Electric (HE) IPv6 tests (cept like mail server).

I actually had disabled IPv6 for a while due to how DNS works with a dual stacked Windows box. When you have a single interface with both IPv4 and IPv6, the IPv6 side is treated as the "primary". So the IPv6 DNS would mostly be used. The problem I had with this is that I had 60ms latency to HE's IPv6 DNS server which increased the time to resolve domains and load web pages.

However, since then, Google has turned up IPv6 DNS servers and has less than 10ms latency for me so I have since turned IPv6 back up and it is running flawlessly.

I am tunneling IPv6 through a GRE tunnel on a Cisco 2611 that I grabbed on ebay for about $70. However, it is only capable of about 15mb of routed traffic. All of my computers are natively dual stacked. However, I use an Asus router for all IPv4 traffic and the 2611 for all IPv6 traffic. Basically my 2611 is the gateway for IPv6 and my Asus is the gateway for IPv4.

I graph my GRE tunnel and the bandwidth utilization shows that my network is barely using IPv6 at this time. The internet just isn't IPv6 ready yet. From what I can tell, mostly google based services are using my IPv6 connection.
jdmm72
join:2002-02-12
Cary, NC

1 recommendation

jdmm72 to Demog

to Demog
said by Demog :

MP...surely you are a SLer, you weigh in on every post, pro SL, and attack others with differing opinions

Obviously you don't follow moldy. I will also vouch that he isn't a Suddenlink yes man, nor does he work for SL. He just calls it as he sees it.

I also agree that IPv6 isn't urgent right now, some are transitioning to it now, but noy all. I remember in 2000, 13 years ago, the powers that be and Cisco talking about how the Internet on IPv4 was doomed and that an immediate need existed to go to IPv6. We are in 2013 (13 years later), the Internet is still working primarily on IPv4.

Do I think it will happen at some point, maybe. It may be a higher number by the time we get around to it. IPv7 is already DoA, what about 8,9,10?