uniqs
zephxiii
join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN
(Software) pfSense

2 edits

zephxiii to cchhat01

to cchhat01

Re: This is the kind of shit that makes me wanna move to...

I'd prefer to see little remnants of something that used to be that wasn't doing anything or going anywhere get acquired by someone like AT&T. I hate small little regional carriers.

This will help AT&T in some of those markets if they are acquiring 850mhz or 700mhz where they didn't have it before. I'd rather see them get it than it going to waste.

And yes I live in a market where a small regional carrier called Centennial got bought out by AT&T. Centennial was GSM only, had a blanket 850mhz (AT&T did not have 850mhz) network that was going to waste because they weren't going to do anything cool with it (like launch HSPA). I also hated their plans and how they went about things. Ever since they were acquired things have been much much better.

Also in my market, USCC got bought out by Sprint which i am also glad to see because Sprint was crippled here due to lack of spectrum. Now Sprint will become a lot better which i prefer since they are more "national" than USCC (who i used to have as a provider and hated roaming everywhere else i went).

This small Alltel network isn't supposed to exist anyways because it was divested, it's just that no one bothered with picking it up until now so i don't know what the hell the fuss is all about.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

For a company this small, only half a million customers. I don't see this as being a big deal.

I'm more concerned about the only real competition to AT&T and Verizon, which is T-mobile and Sprint I think we need to make sure they have access to more spectrum as well.

Sadly the small regional wireless carriers just don't have the resources to keep up with the big 4 in a time of fairly rapidly evolving data networks.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by MovieLover76:

For a company this small, only half a million customers. I don't see this as being a big deal.

I'm more concerned about the only real competition to AT&T and Verizon, which is T-mobile and Sprint I think we need to make sure they have access to more spectrum as well.

Sadly the small regional wireless carriers just don't have the resources to keep up with the big 4 in a time of fairly rapidly evolving data networks.

Evidently Sprint has plenty of spectrum with more on the way in pending deals.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to zephxiii

to zephxiii
said by zephxiii:

I'd prefer to see little remnants of something that used to be that wasn't doing anything or going anywhere get acquired by someone like AT&T. I hate small little regional carriers.

This will help AT&T in some of those markets if they are acquiring 850mhz or 700mhz where they didn't have it before. I'd rather see them get it than it going to waste.

And yes I live in a market where a small regional carrier called Centennial got bought out by AT&T. Centennial was GSM only, had a blanket 850mhz (AT&T did not have 850mhz) network that was going to waste because they weren't going to do anything cool with it (like launch HSPA). I also hated their plans and how they went about things. Ever since they were acquired things have been much much better.

Also in my market, USCC got bought out by Sprint which i am also glad to see because Sprint was crippled here due to lack of spectrum. Now Sprint will become a lot better which i prefer since they are more "national" than USCC (who i used to have as a provider and hated roaming everywhere else i went).

This small Alltel network isn't supposed to exist anyways because it was divested, it's just that no one bothered with picking it up until now so i don't know what the hell the fuss is all about.

T-Mobile should get it haha
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to FFH5

to FFH5
Pending deals such as with Clear? They had a good amount of spectrum before they decided to sell off Xhom to Clear and let them handle it. Sprint decided to become an MVNO and in the end suffered. And even with NV they're still suffering and won't be able to catch up, the huge costs of the iProducts that they're giving away, and the new network build will NOT net them what they need to keep up, even if Japan is allowed to take over Sprint, which does violate foreign ownership laws with the amount of spectrum that is in play.