rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

[F@H] FAHControl does not work.

Whenever I have to restart this Win7-64 HP computer FAH will not start. When I use my shortcut to FAHControl it brings up a window as it did when I first loaded the program but is inactive and will not do anything but show that it is connecting. It does not find and start up where it left off. All configure settings and preferences are blank.
In the taskmaster only FAHControl is shown in the process tab.

If I start FAHClient it will start to load in a DOS window but stop (crash) when it gets to the new core and only the Client shows in the taskmaster.

I have had this problem since I started using version 7 and have been Uninstalling and installing leaving my data files to keep folding.

I hope to learn how to get it working normally. Any ideas?

Pin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-19
The Dungeon

Pin

Premium Member

Give this a try.

First, shut down your FAHClient with a [ctrl]-c. Then in FAHControl, select the configure button ( top left corner ).

At the bottom is a button to start the client. Normally, if you click the start button and then save; it will autostart when FAHControl is launched. If the start button is clicked and then cancel is clicked, you will need to click the configure and then start button each time FAHControl is launched.

See if that works for you! I've had mixed results on different v7.xx clients.

[edit]
I'll add that when started thru FAHControl, you will not see the dos box FAHClient window; but you will see FAHControl making progress if everything is working ok.

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

1 edit

rfhar

Premium Member

I am a little confused about what you want. I have never seen the DOS box except when clicking on the FAHClient.exe or a shortcut to it when trouble shooting. I have always used the FAHControl to start and fold.

I see the button to stop the client from folding but have never used it. when shutting it down I have used the pause button or it has happened to stop folding when downloading and installing a windows update.

It is well past bedtime now, I will stop it with the button tomorrow and do a restart of the computer.
rfhar

rfhar

Premium Member

Thanks for the effort but It did not help. I paused it in FAHControl then used the stop button you referred to and restarted the computer and I still had the same problem. I uninstalled the client and reinstalled it to get folding again,

Thankfully the uninstall and install process is very well designed.

Pin
Premium Member
The Dungeon

Pin

Premium Member

Let me try this again as I don't think I conveyed it correctly. Also, you shouldn't have to reinstall every time you reboot.

If the client is not configured to autostart, it will look like this and sit there indefinitely:

Notice that FAHControl has not read the config file yet since the user name is Anonymous and the team number is 0.

Clicking the configure button in the upper left hand corner will reveal a screen that looks like the following if it is not set to autostart:

Clicking the start button and then the save button should start the client and save the config so that it auto starts the next time. The start button will change to a stop button after you click it:

If the configure windows comes up empty or already shows the stop button instead of the start button, then it is a different problem.

Post back if your sequence of screens is different than this, as it probably indicates that it is a different problem then what I first thought.

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

2 edits

rfhar

Premium Member

We may have a different problem. Right now the Client is running with the FAHControl is maximized. In the configure connection tab the local client button says stop. and the start button was clicked on ages ago and clicked on times since. The Identity tab is filled correctly and the rest of the tabs are OK also. Under the Preferences tab the Local client is set to autostart as it was first set up and the save has been clicked.

And this is the way things have been since I first installed the version 7.1.52 . When I have to uninstall it I leave the info on the computer and when I reinstall it all the configure and Preferences info installs and the folding starts right where I left of when I had an update or whatever caused the need to restart the computer.

Oh yes. I have been very busy lately. My wife is sick with that Norovirus going around, I must drive my handicapped daughter around for her medical appointments, and I had to help my other daughter when their computer was messed up and with the help of the good people on this site I fixed two other problems on this computer. I used a quarter tank of gas yesterday running errands and to doctors offices.
I am grateful for your perseverance.

BUT after an update when I must start the computer nothing about the FAH Client auto-starts. There are no entries in the process tab of the taskmaster related to FAH.

After restarting the computer clicking on the FAHControl icon in the task-bar brings up A small window as if I had never run FAH before. It does not find my configuration info and just sits there similar to your first picture. It will not connect start or anything.

Now here is where you have been very helpful.

Previous to today At this point I uninstalled the client and reinstalled it to get it to start where it left off and continue folding. Today I went to the start button in the Configure / connection Local Client and clicked on the start button. It will start but has lost all my configuration data and starts as if this was the first time to do so and it has no configuration data. In order to get my configuration data I must uninstall and reinstall. It also, when I uninstalled and reinstalled picked up the folding right where it left off when I restarted the computer.

You have been very helpful as is obvious I did not know how to describe the problem good enough.

The basic problem is that on a restart I do not load all my configuration data although it is on the computer.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit

jaynick

Premium Member

NM.

Pin
Premium Member
The Dungeon

1 recommendation

Pin to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
No worries about time rfhar. I had that stomach virus not long ago and it is brutal, almost like food poisoning. Down hard for 2 days and a week before I felt normal. Hope your wife feels betters soon!

Support is all about matching the symptoms to the problem. That being said, I think that your autostart problem is more related to a permission problem to the directory that holds the configuration. During install, you may get asked for or just receive elevated permissions; in which case it works. But on restart, it may never ask and just fail.

Here are some options for testing:
1.) Try starting the client by selecting FAHClient in your start menu by right clicking FAHClient and selecting "run as administrator". After killing the FAHClient that tried to autostart.

2.) If you uninstall and reinstall, select install for everyone and not install for just this user.

3.) Or, just go to c:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming and check the permissions or security on FAHClient directory. This is where config.xml resides that holds your client information. If I right click that directory, select properties and choose the security tab; I see the following:
System: full control
[name]: full control
Administrators: full control
Users: full control

I am not positive of the minimum write access to the config.xml file, but I would start adding "full control" to that list starting with [name], Users, Administrators and then System if it is not already present.

There is no rush, take care of yourself, your wife and your family; I'll offer help when you have the time. Keep your family safe and healthy first!

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

I could not find the Config.xml file under the Aptdata folder but looking around I found it in program files (x86) FAHClient/ config and it is listed as config- (a bunch of numbers).xml..
I was able to change the permissions for the config xml file when in my profile but had to go to an administrative profile to change the permissions of the config folder to allow my profile to have full control. I also took ownership of both of these.
Next I closed the client using FAHControl and opened it again by selecting FAHClient in my start menu by right clicking FAHClient and selecting "run as administrator". It started again with no configuration although I had to have one So I uninstalled again and did the custom install. NOTICE; this install installed the program differently and I cannot find the config file even with Win7's great search. There is a way to search more files even the hidden ones but I cannot remember it. Looking for the configs file I found a few files in my administrive profile so I uninstalled FAH while in that file. no improvement but since I was scratching the bottom of the barrel here I am not surprised. Logged out and reinstalled in my profile and no change but I did notice that My sound was not working any more so I restored the computer back to the 23rd and then did my normal uninstall and reinstall to get things back to normal. I also got the sound back. The files in C /users/ Admin/ AptData/Roaming/FAHCleint have a Configs file but there is nothing in it although I am configed properly. I run in my profile normally.
I am done for the day and will get to checking the configs file permissions again another day. I should have quit twenty minutes ago.
I will start at the last post by you again and work on the Administrative profile. This took hours with many interruptions.
rfhar

1 edit

rfhar

Premium Member

Just a short note. I regret not having the last uninstall remove the data as it picked up where it had left off earlier and somewhere there is a file I haven't found containing the data.
Any ideas about this also?
I found it under C/prograrmData. Tomorrow.
rfhar

1 recommendation

rfhar

Premium Member

I wasn't going to work on this today but I wanted to update Palemoon after the restore yesterday and long story short it accrued to me that I have had two configs files and likely have had them since I first installed version seven so I uninstalled the client including the data and then looked thought the C drive and deleted all remaining FAH client files and folders and reinstalled. Going back to my Sunday loafing time and will Quit and restart the client tomorrow.
rfhar

1 recommendation

rfhar

Premium Member

Re: [F@H] FIXED !

I both quit and started the client from FAHControl and restarted the computer. And everything is working just fine.

Thanks for your help. I never would have found and fixed the problem alone.

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

howieh

MVM

Hey, Pin See Profile, step up and take a bow. That was a really great piece of troubleshooting.

Pin
Premium Member
The Dungeon

2 recommendations

Pin

Premium Member

said by howieh:

Hey, Pin See Profile, step up and take a bow. That was a really great piece of troubleshooting.

I know that custom install rfhar did scared me and I wasn't sure any more what to look at next. But rfhar figured out that one with just a hint that it wasn't reading/writing the correct config.xml file.

So rfhar deserves the kudo's for the self motivation and tenacity in solving the problem.

Nice Job rfhar!