share rss forum feed

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

Boot Issues - Oracle Linux

I'm working on two Oracle linux servers and I just installed/configured multipath on both servers, but I'm hitting a wall here. I'm normally an AIX guy so this stuff is much different.

I restarted both servers after performing the configuration and only one of them comes up. The other comes up online just fine. The multipath may be unrelated. I don't know, but I'm just relaying what I did last.

The server hangs on the fsck.

It runs through several of the volumes, which are managed by LVM and then says:

fsck.ext3: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/sda1
Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?

/dev/sda1 is /boot

I cannot mount /dev/sda1 or /boot. It says it's busy.

fuser shows nothing being locked. I'm in the maintenance shell as it can't come online.

/etc/fstab shows the following for /boot

LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

I'm hitting a wall here and would appreciate some help from some more Linux savvy folks.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

1 edit

--
~ Project Hope ~

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

I know I absolutely hate it when I Google Search for something and find help, but never a response, so I thought I would share what I did.

Since I was stuck in maintenance mode, I had to make / rw by using:

mount -o remount -o rw /

Then, with this article:

»www.linuxquestions.org/questions···-494987/

I went in and commented out every line in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep that contained "dm-". I made a back-up first.

After that, I rebooted and it works fine. It sucks that I could condense 2 hours worth of work into a few lines, but that's basically what it boiled down to. Those things were locking the disk.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

I wanted to point out that this issue was specifically because of the DM software being buggy and out of date. After doing a yum update, I was able to successfully get everything up and running.
--