rgod55
Premium Member
join:2002-02-28
Coralville, IA

rgod55

Premium Member

Converted fireplace over to Gas Fireplace

Click for full size
Hi everyone. I have a question that I may not like the answer to. We bought a house and it had a standard fireplace that was converted over to gas. The problem is that the damper has to stay a bit open (I'm guessing to let out some heat and gas, etc.). The seems to cause having a little cold air come out of the fireplace, but also from the surround. The surround has a knob you can push in/pull out to supposedly help with allowing heat in and out. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make it not have any cold air come out from the surround. The knob is in the bottom left hand corner.

Dogwood
Premium Member
join:2001-01-14
Texas

Dogwood

Premium Member

I thought that you only had to prop open the damper if there was a pilot burning all the time.
I guess a forgetful person could light the fire and leave the damper closed, causing lots of CO to get into the house, but those damper stopper clamps wouldn't vent a full fire well enough either.
rgod55
Premium Member
Coralville, IA

rgod55

Premium Member

This one is on all time with a pilot. There is a remote to turn it "on."

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to rgod55

Premium Member

to rgod55
said by rgod55:

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make it not have any cold air come out from the surround.

It appears to be a cheap install and nothing short of a complete remodel will fix the cold air intrusion.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to rgod55

MVM

to rgod55
Hard to tell from picture but when you say "gas fireplace", is that the same as saying gas log insert ? If so, I would determine if it was a vented or vent free gas log. Also, if it is a gas log, can you see any name plate that gives mfgr and model # ?
rgod55
Premium Member
Coralville, IA

rgod55

Premium Member

The system is a Robert H. Peterson Co Real-Fyre Gas log Set, model apk 10m (or apk 10mp).

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949

Premium Member

said by rgod55:

The system is a Robert H. Peterson Co Real-Fyre Gas log Set, model apk 10m (or apk 10mp).

From the manual, There is a clamp that is supposed to be on the damper to prevent it from being fully closed, but it should be fully opened when the log set is is "burning". I suspect that the surround may not be sealed correctly.

www.rhpeterson.com/images3/realfyre/Instructions/G4_Burner(A2-013).pdf