uniqs

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

Website Question: Image displayed depends upon browser?

May be I have been out of the loop, or may be I have never noticed the following. My wife is doing a stint of Weight Watchers, and she swears that at home on her Win7 IE 9 machine, the picture displayed on »www.weightwatchers.com is always Jessica Simpson. At work, her IE 7 (or 8, I forget) always displays Jennifer Hudson.

On my work machine, I tried it:
Win XP:
IE8: J. Simpson
Chrome: J. Hudson.
Firefox: J. Simpson

On each browser, I refreshed the site 10 times. On each browser, each time, the image never changes.

I'm guessing that this is something done by design, or is there a different answer for it? My wife and I are more curious than anything else. Thanks!

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

Fx & Palemoon brought up Simpson. Chrome brought up a black gal without a name showing.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

That would be Jennifer Hudson. She's a spokeswoman for WW. Lost a ton (no pun intended) of weight on it.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
I got Jessica Simpson with IE, FireFox and Chrome - Windows 7 Ultimate x86. I have Chrome set to auto launch in Incognito mode but tried it in a standard window as well and still got Jessica Simpson.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Jeff

to Jeff
Win XP, IE8, I get a black girl in a black top with jeans and spiked boots. No idea who that is (are we supposed to know?).

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
I did a quick test in Chrome. I first got Jessica Simpson. I deleted the weightwatcher cookies and reloaded the home page and got Jessica Simpson again. I deleted the weightwatcher cookies, reloaded the home page and got Jennifer Hudson.

I didn't test further to see if just reloading the page without deleting the cookies would cause a change on the home page "hero" image or not. I also didn't check to see which specific cookie might be storing what image to show if it is even stored.

It's likely just a random image that is displayed vs being browser specific. It could be that they also track which image displayed generates more folks clicking through for additional info - aka A-B testing.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

Thanks for the replies and possible explanations. Appreciate it.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Jeff

to Jeff
Win8, IE10 - Black girl with black top.