Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to Hyrules

Re: Buggy Intel SSD 520 Series SSD Firmware

said by Hyrules:

I having this issue with my Corsair SSD. It's the 480 GB. Corsair Force GT 480. with firmware 5.03. It suddenly drop from the controller randomly causing windows 7 to BSOD with the 0xf4 error code. I'm thinking of buying the pro version is the samsung SSD 512 GB.

Your issue is completely, entirely, 100% unrelated to this thread topic. For someone with CompTIA A+ certification this saddens me greatly; I'm sighing and saying "dime a dozen". :/
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

So basically you're saying that Intel is flat out lying when they say "Do a TRIM weekly or more often if you do a lot of writes".

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

Where does Intel state this? I believe it's automatically done by the OS.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

It says that right in the SSD Toolkit.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to trparky

said by trparky:

So basically you're saying that Intel is flat out lying when they say "Do a TRIM weekly or more often if you do a lot of writes".

I said no such thing -- and I already covered this in item #1. You should not be using the "Intel SSD Optimizer" on any OS newer than Vista.

And furthermore, you should not be doing this daily.

Intel hasn't disclosed how exactly their optimizer works. I can speculate (has to do with sparse files) but I'd rather not; speculation is what created this thread (and the one on the Intel forum). I say that respectfully, not as an insult towards you.

Do you have some data/answers to the other questions I asked in my post? Without that data I can only speculate as to what happened. An SSD requiring a cold boot (pressing the reset button or power-cycling the system) usually indicates the underlying SATA controller -- either on the SSD or the host PC -- is wedged and requires a full power-cycle to bring it back into a usable state. This can happen on MHDDs as well (here's proof).

But if you weren't using ATA-level PM in Windows, and you weren't physically disconnecting/reconnecting the SSD, then whatever the Intel forum dude's claim is is not what you experienced. Your issue is almost certainly unrelated/separate.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.