Search similar:

uniqs

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Playing on EU from US

I saw Reckful playing on both an EU and US server last night. He changed some shit in his config file from /us to /eu...or at least I think that's what I saw.

Anyone know how to do this? I wouldn't mind dabbling in the EU.

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge

Premium Member

In order to play on EU servers, you need an EU CD-key/code for your Battle.net account. Changing the config file does nothing on its own, because US and EU servers have separate account/login servers.

You can get the process started by signing up for a free trial, and changing the region you want the trial for. After that, you'll need to either digitally upgrade it online, or have an EU version of WoW shipped to you from a European reseller.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Gotcha...so I'd need the EU product key first. Then I'd change the config file to basically mask my IP. Is that in the right ballpark?

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge

Premium Member

no, not to mask your IP, just to change the login server/realmlist you're trying to reach. A google search will pull up the proper info, some of it on the WoW forums.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
Ya Blizz doesn't care where you're logging from just what CD key is on the account.

And the config just needs to know which login server to talk to.

I guy I have on realID is from the UK and plays on US servers, he moved back and forth from US to UK but stays on US servers.
Cptbeatstix
join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix to McBrain

to McBrain
I believe someone design a launcher to do this instead of editing the wtf file. If you notice a lot of addon packs actually come from the EU. Hence why people in the US that don't know about the WTF can't get it to work at all.