Comfortably Numb
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne

Should I Keep a Refurb E4200v2?

My E4200v2 crapped out on me a year and a day after purchase. Funny coincidence. Anyway, since I had an extended warranty, Linksys is sending me a refurb E4200v2.

I have been looking at the ASUS RT-N66U, and wondering if I should buy that and sell the Linksys refurb when I get it. Or, I may just keep the refurb. The reason I'm thinking of selling it and getting an ASUS is not because the Linksys is a refurb, instead, it's just that I would just like to have the best range and speed. I'm not really sure if the E4200v2 was ever that great. Any thoughts?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

It looks like you can get about $80 for it.

»www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Linksys-E···0aa2727a

If it's worth the time to get that much for it, do it or use it as an AP.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

lordpuffer
Comfortably Numb
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 recommendation

The only thing that I worry about with the ASUS is the 5GHz band. There are many complaints on the web that it does not work well. My main computer that I use is a wireless iMac, and I like to use the 5GHz band with it.

I may at this point try out the refurb, and if it works well, just keep it. I had already looked up how much the refurb was selling for. If I get the ASUS, it's going to cost me around $100. Thanks for the post.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

The 5GHz band on any router is limited in range compared to the 2.4GHz. Even though I do use both bands, I will join my 2.4GHz network when I'm outside further than 150' from the router. If you do decide on the ASUS, remember that you can replace the antenna with higher dBi choices.

lordpuffer
Comfortably Numb
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

It seems that people aren't complaining about the 5GHz band on ASUS only because of distance issues. Some say that it just will not connect to their 5GHz devices.

I'm getting the refurb E4200v2 tomorrow. As long as it works properly, I'll keep it. My iMac did work fairly well with the 5GHz band when the router worked properly. However, the iMac is only about 30' from the router in the next room. If I have unsolvable issues with the refurb, I'll then have to make a decision what to do.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

Good decision.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to lordpuffer

Well, since you are getting a replacement unit sent out, why not give it a whirl first, and see if it meets your needs adequately?

You can always opt to purchase a different router if not satisfied. Since it is a refurb unit, it is not as if you would get a better price, selling it without having used in anyway, right?

In other words, all your options still would remain in play.
--
Deeds, not words

lordpuffer
Comfortably Numb
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM

That's what I'm going to do. Thanks PeteC2.

lordpuffer
Comfortably Numb
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

Received the refurb today. It looks brand new, and seems to work fine. Right now, it's a keeper (unless Belkin/Linksys turns out a better one )! Thank you both for the help.