Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

Sun TV wants mandatory carriage

Our own Faux News North claims it's losing money since they got bumped up to the higher tiers on Rogers and with that lost half their viewership (or was that it was so bad people stopped watching it), and is now petitioning the CRTC for mandatory carriage.

They like to point to CBC Newsworld , which has mandatory carriage and is getting 63c per subscriber vs 18c for them (and their own sister company in QC , VTL only gives them 9c).

Short story posted verbatim here :

A financially hobbled Sun News Network has asked the CRTC to force cable carriers to distribute the channel.
Currently Sun News isn’t a part of many analog or basic cable packages. In a filing first submitted to the CRTC last May, the Quebecor-owned network says Rogers’ decision to move it from channel 15 to channel 144 cut viewership in half.
Sun News proposes the CRTC grant the network mandatory distribution, which would obligate carriers to make the channel available on basic cable and boost the network’s beleaguered bottom line.
The filing points out that Sun News is now available in 5.1 million Canadian households, compared with 11.6 million for rival CBC News Network.
Between reduced reach and diminished viewership Sun News estimates it lost $17 million in 2012.
“Despite the strong thirst for news alternatives, Sun News has encountered enormous resistance from Canadian cable and satellite providers,” the filing says.
Sun TV’s proposal requests that along with mandatory distribution the network receive a fee of 18 cents per month from each cable subscriber. In Quebec that fee falls to nine cents per customer. The company feels those fees would turn a $17 million loss into a modest profit by 2014.
The report points out that CBC News Network receives 63 cents per month per customer.
“Should the cable and satellite providers choose to pass the full cost of Sun News to their customers, the financial impact on the basic service would be negligible,” the filing says.
The CRTC will consider applications from Sun News and several other specialty networks in a hearing scheduled for April 23.

WAAAAHHH, maybe if they had a serious news channel like Newsworld, or CTV's Newsnet, people would watch it.

LINK
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16

And cost gets passed to the consumer
One more reason to "cut the cable"

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to elwoodblues

Carriage fees seem to be the way of the future (as ad revenue is declining). It seems companies like Sun want to find way to force subscribers into paying the carriage fee.

Perhaps the CRTC should force it to be an a la carte channel and see if anyone subscribes.

Ideally a cableco would only have to charge $20/month for basic cable (to cover infrastructure costs etc) and provide the basic of Canadian channels (CTV, CBC etcc) and thats it. Then everything else should be a la cart.

It's gotten so complex with bundles (especially the trend of lumping in 1 or 2 good channels with 4 or 5 crappy channels) that its making it really expensive.

If cable doesn't trim the fat on their own, their in danger of being trimmed on their own.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

2 recommendations

reply to elwoodblues

so if i am forced to carry CBC News Network, why is Sun News Network not forced as well?

honestly, i don't watch either, but fair is fair...either they both be made "standard" or they both go "optional".

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

I may live to regret the day, but I am in agreement with jeffer. All or none.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues

Because it doesn't fit your political slant it's not news?

I'm with the people above me. If carriers are forced to carry Liberal news stations, why shouldn't they also be forced to carry a Conservative one?
--
Tom

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

so if i am forced to carry CBC News Network, why is Sun News Network not forced as well?

honestly, i don't watch either, but fair is fair...either they both be made "standard" or they both go "optional".

Makes sense.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues

I don't think any channels should have mandatory carriage, but as long as the competition has it, I gotta agree. The CRTC shouldn't be in the business of favouring one channel over another.

And this is coming from someone that can't stand the programming on SUN.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to zod5000

Outside of "basic cable" the BDU's can offer ala carte. They don't because it's more profitable to "bundle".

Using the above example newsworld (bundled) gets 63c , but most carriage deals are if the channel is carried alone, the have to pay the channel half.

A company I used to work for got 25c a subscriber in a bundle, alone, $1.50!
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to TLS2000

There is no slant here, I've watched their broadcasts on the website, its a joke, both content and production wise.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by elwoodblues:

There is no slant here, I've watched their broadcasts on the website, its a joke, both content and production wise.

Right. Keep telling yourself that you don't have a political bias against it. At least someone will believe you.
--
Tom

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

The difference is that the CBC is our national public broadcaster with a formal mandate and accountability under the Broadcasting Act and Sun TV is a putrid pile of garbage.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by Wolfie00:

The difference is that the CBC is our national public broadcaster with a formal mandate and accountability under the Broadcasting Act and Sun TV is a putrid pile of garbage.

Or vice versa depending on your politics.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to TLS2000

Have you watched the turd the call Sun News and compared it to CBC/CTV, he'll even CP24 is better.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

i can't believe you seriously just posted that nonsense.

the CBC does have better production capabilities...because we pay $1 Billion a year for it...other than that, it is simply a left shifted version of Sun News.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to FFH

The mandate of the CBC to be the national public broadcaster has nothing to do with politics.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by Wolfie00:

The mandate of the CBC to be the national public broadcaster has nothing to do with politics.

sure it doesn't.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium

If you're not aware of the Broadcasting Act or the mandate of the CBC then do some reading.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

1 recommendation

said by Wolfie00:

If you're not aware of the Broadcasting Act or the mandate of the CBC then do some reading.

whatever.

the same CBC that refuses FOI requests??...the same CBC that refuses to be accountable for the $1 Billion they get from Canadian taxpayers every year??...the same CBC that creatively edited a story to promote their anti-Harper agenda??
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to dirtyjeffer

OK, then tell me why CTV Newsnet production is better, or even CHCH, with its all day news, neither get government funding.

Go over to the TVA website and you'll see shitty production values is typical for QMI.

SHIT!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

Hyperbole aside, I *might* be willing to make one single exception just for CBC News for the reasons you stated above, but so long as CTV Newsnet has must-carry status, Quebecor has a valid point.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to dirtyjeffer

Like UB's post about a National Post story cheering Harpers approval rating being up, when in reality its down since the last election?

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

l don't watch either of them and then cbc has their hand in my pocket, government funded. So its a bit of a piss off to pay premium for satelite fee for cbc on top of federal taxes and now have to provide expanded funding to sun. Ultimately i want choice of what i pay for on a channel by channel basis and even then if i felt the need for CBC news was so essential i would put up an OTA antenna.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

OK, then tell me why CTV Newsnet production is better, or even CHCH, with its all day news, neither get government funding.

Go over to the TVA website and you'll see shitty production values is typical for QMI.

SHIT!

i'm not an expert in the broadcast industry, so i can't give you an informed answer...can i take a guess though??...could it be that CHCH and CTV have, oh, i don't know, about 60 years experience in broadcast TV, much of it as a much larger scale broadcaster?...in comparison, how long has Sun News Network been on the air for??
--

- George Orwell

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by elwoodblues:

SHIT!

i'm not an expert in the broadcast industry, so i can't give you an informed answer...can i take a guess though??...could it be that CHCH and CTV have, oh, i don't know, about 60 years experience in broadcast TV, much of it as a much larger scale broadcaster?...in comparison, how long has Sun News Network been on the air for??

and the sun paper expertise is on page three and thats about it

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 edit
reply to dirtyjeffer

And so is TVA, tracing back to 1963!

CHCH IS NOT a large scale broadcast, even when they were part of Canwest. TVA is much much larger (in Quebec only).

Next reason?

Let me tell you something from first hand experience, they are one CHEAP COMPANY(QMI).

When they rebranded Toronto 1 to Sun TV (not news) , did they advertise? Nope, a pull off cover on the SUN, that was about it.
I came to work that day, the lobby was full of food, nobody outside came.. nobody knew about it. They justified it by saying it was a "soft launch".

The place is run by kids, they laid off anyone with any experience,it cost too much (and it shows).

While I'm at it, when I worked there, and it was Toronto 1, the production quality was heads and tails above what comes out today. You don't need "years" of experience, you need a good crew, equipment, and budget

All three were stripped when QMI bought Toronto 1. They are still using Cameras they bought when the station launched (and it was state of the art at the time) back in 2002, and by todays standards are antiques. They have no field trucks, no microwave truck, I could go on... I'm inherently familiar with the place and it's history.

When offered to buy the building they are in (they lease it) they declined, it's becoming a CONDO now, since they've sold the SUN building across the street, they have nowhere to go. I suspect they're going to broadcast out of TVA HQ in Montreal.

--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

they use their own money...i don't care what they do...the same can't be said for the CBC.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Gone:

LOL and +1

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Wolfie00:

i can't believe you seriously just posted that nonsense.

the CBC does have better production capabilities...because we pay $1 Billion a year for it...other than that, it is simply a left shifted version of Sun News.

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Wolfie00:

whatever.

the same CBC that refuses FOI requests??...the same CBC that refuses to be accountable for the $1 Billion they get from Canadian taxpayers every year??...the same CBC that creatively edited a story to promote their anti-Harper agenda??

I dont know why this funding ($1B) is still provided? They(CBC) need to earn all this from adverts. Like CTV or others. If not then just stop broadcasting.

And Did anybody say accountability?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to dirtyjeffer

You never cease to amaze me, changing you tune whenever you're challenged.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by Wolfie00:

Hyperbole aside, I *might* be willing to make one single exception just for CBC News for the reasons you stated above, but so long as CTV Newsnet has must-carry status, Quebecor has a valid point.

So we can agree that special must-carry status for the CBC is an open and shut case. When comparisons are made with CTV Newsnet, you don't have the same qualitative difference, but you still have a strong differentiation with Sun TV. I suspect that a review of Newsnet content would show a preponderance of news broadcasts interspersed with news-related programming like documentaries, much as CBC Newsworld does. Whereas Sun has relatively little actual news because they devote so much time to opinionated propagandizing drivel, and it's far cheaper to have some lunatic rant for an hour than to have an actual news production organization.

Suppose I started a cheap amateur "news" channel in my basement and somehow convinced Rogers to carry it, perhaps because they liked my political slant. And 90% of the content was assorted ranting by various unbalanced extremists. Is this equivalent to CBC Newsworld or CTV Newsnet? Should this become a must-carry channel on all cable and satellite providers because it's "news"?
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
Wendell Berry