how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

EA threatens to ban people who don't report simcity beta bug

First always online and now this, welp I know what I wont be buying.

»www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01···ty-bugs/

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

So they want people to actually beta-test and not just play the game? Shocker.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

said by Krisnatharok:

So they want people to actually beta-test and not just play the game? Shocker.

Ban from all your games, for not reporting a bug during a beta test seems overboard.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

They said they reserve the right to, the key part of the snippet is here:

"You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products."

--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Of course they do, but beta is for testing reasons, what about false positives, would you risk your account to agree to test a game?
--

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA
reply to me1212

Im pretty sure it is not legal to cross-ban people in games. Ever.

I remember in law school we had to learn this old case where stores would sell poor people stuff on credit, but the trick was that if you missed a payment, they could repo ALL the stuff you EVER bought on credit, even stuff that was paid off years ago.

So a court struck that down, I think as "unconscionable liquidated damages" or something. The point is: you can't put penalties in contracts that reach beyond the scope of the contract itself. Otherwise people could be like "if you miss your mortgage payment, you must name your 1st born male heir 'BankofAmerica'" or worse.

If I buy a game. I'm entering into a contract. I give the company money, and in exchange I get a product/service. If I break the terms of that contract, say, by cheating in online multiplayer, sure the company is within its rights to ban me from THAT game. From some different game? nope.

I know some people are very passionate about hating cheaters, or 'pirates' or whatever else, but this isn't criminal law, this is contract law. Contract law doesn't exist to punish people. Even with something like battle-net where you have 1 ID and multiple games, it's not OK for Blizzard to wipe our your whole games library because you map-hacked in starcraft, or because you violated a NDA from a beta, or whatever else.

Kaltes
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to me1212

Companies do this stuff because not enough people sue them, because it isn't profitable to sue, except maybe as a class action, and class actions are really more about making the class action lawyers rich and letting the company off easy anyway.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Kaltes

Maintaining your Origin account requires you remain in good standing.

I am perfectly fine with cheaters and exploiters to get banned out of their Origin account and Steam ID, but such bans must be meted out very carefully, and with great consideration and devil's advocacy.

Doing that because you aren't zealously reporting every bug you come across is way over the top. I understand the desire to have actively participating beta testers, but I've changed my mind from my initial post--this goes way too far.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Kaltes
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

You can't punish someone for cheating on a test in school, by... taking away their driver's license.

Games are separate pieces of software. Separate deals. Separate contracts. If you cheat in a game, you can get your CD Key banned in THAT game, not in all games you've ever bought from that publisher. If you violate the terms of service regarding game A, the publisher has no right to reach beyond game A and start telling you that you've forfeited your rights to games B, C, D, E, and F, too.

Stories like this one, where EA clearly shows an intent to abuse this power in ridiculous ways, show why private companies have historically not been permitted to have this power.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

It's a little different, since EA controls all of Origin, just like Valve controls all of Steam.

It wouldn't be hard to have a clause in the EULA that you promise to abide by certain rules to have your account remain in goodstanding. i.e. a chargeback will always freeze your entire Origin or Steam account, or Paypal account, instead of just disabling the game.

I don't see that changing.
--

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Kaltes

said by Kaltes:

You can't punish someone for cheating on a test in school, by... taking away their driver's license.

Games are separate pieces of software. Separate deals. Separate contracts. If you cheat in a game, you can get your CD Key banned in THAT game, not in all games you've ever bought from that publisher. If you violate the terms of service regarding game A, the publisher has no right to reach beyond game A and start telling you that you've forfeited your rights to games B, C, D, E, and F, too.

Stories like this one, where EA clearly shows an intent to abuse this power in ridiculous ways, show why private companies have historically not been permitted to have this power.

Yet another reason I have had a boycott on all EA products for 8 years now and still counting.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

It's a little different, since EA controls all of Origin, just like Valve controls all of Steam.

It wouldn't be hard to have a clause in the EULA that you promise to abide by certain rules to have your account remain in goodstanding. i.e. a chargeback will always freeze your entire Origin or Steam account, or Paypal account, instead of just disabling the game.

I don't see that changing.

The way it stands now with Valve and Steam is if you get VAC banned you cannot play on VAC secured servers however you still can play on non secured servers, LAN, single player, and offline mode.

If you get caught cheating by VAC in a game like TF2, you will get banned from VAC secured servers on all games that use that particular game engine. You still will be able to play on secured servers in other games that use another game engine.

I hate cheating as much as any other legit gamer and I am not condoning it. Just pointing out how EA is just full of themselves on how they go about things.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:1

On the other hand, if you don't agree with a change in Steam's EULA, you lose access to everything you have on Steam. Even games you didn't buy FROM Steam but are registered with them.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Kaltes

said by Kaltes:

I am still trying to find the part in the EULA that states that Origin can ban you from all games if you abuse a bug. Everything I am seeing just points to the game itself, not to all games on Origin.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you. I just think that people are reading too much into the statement. Leverage a bug in the game, then get banned. This kind of thing is not surprising.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to me1212

I'm so looking forward to Sim City...

A lot of people will probably pirate it.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

They said there will be "always online" requirement so a server will so some calculations instead of the client so I don't know how easy would be to pirate it.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

It will be easy to pirate once the protection gets broken on day 1 or 2. That said I wouldn't even pirate this game, I wouldn't let my pc touch anything ea from this point on with a 10 mile FTTH connection.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Thing is they are putting some calculations for your game on the cloud by the Glassbox engine, to not stress your PC a whole lot and adding cloud saves. I wonder how pirates are going to break that.
--

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by Jobbie:

Thing is they are putting some calculations for your game on the cloud by the Glassbox engine, to not stress your PC a whole lot and adding cloud saves. I wonder how pirates are going to break that.

My guess: someome will run pirated servers that handle the requests. Worse case scenario.

Back in the day Prince of Persia had DRM like this... for instance you couldn't open a door unless the server permitted it. It was cracked in a month. The hacker just switched the request client side.

This may also be possible.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

That makes sense, hope the game is worth the effort.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Being able to tell ea "up yours!" is worth it.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to me1212

TBH I love city sims so much I'm getting this either way.

I'll still poke my EA voodoo doll before going to bed as I always do.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by TigerLord:

I'll still poke my EA voodoo doll before going to bed as I always do.

Too much info!
--
~ Project Hope ~

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to me1212

if you only knew...

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to me1212

False. Update via Blue's News.

said by Blue's News :

SimCity EULA to be Fixed

[Jan 23, 2013, 09:14 am ET] - 20 Comments
The SimCity Facebook Page has a follow up to the story we helped break on Sunday about worrisome language in the EULA for the upcoming SimCity reboot suggesting beta testers would lose access to all EA games for failing to report bugs in the beta (thanks Joe). Here's word:

Heads up, Mayors – it’s been brought to our attention that there’s been some confusion regarding the bug-reporting policy in the EA beta test agreement for SimCity.

Don’t worry – EA has never taken away access to a player’s games for failing to report a bug. In fact, we’re in the process of updating our agreement to make this point clear before the beta starts this Friday. If you have any more questions, read our FAQ: http://bit.ly/UCpuAA

Hope to see you in the beta Friday!

--
Games - GameTech - S.F.Bay -

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to me1212

I'm looking forward to Sim City.. pirate edition without the stupid DRM, online requirements, and hopefully the social media will be ripped out of it.