Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 recommendation

VISA Account Updater

a reference to this little trick may have already been discussed.....i ran a search and found nothing here.......so, forgive me if i'm repeating a thread.

merchants have a tricky little way of scamming naive non technical elderly folk with this app.

i have someone close to me........personally...... that this happened to.

with the help and efforts of a customer service rep at the bank........we have been able to kill and reverse the process.....however....much time, effort, and stress leave a nasty aftertaste.

it usually happens when they find a product on television and think they are purchasing one item ...one time...........actually....they may not be.....and when the card holder tries to put a stop to future transactions...by cancelling their existing credit card.......this product lets the new cc# authorize future purchases.......a .pdf of this program is explained here:

download here:
»www.ndmscorp.com/pdflibrary/visa···file.pdf

more reference links here:
»www.google.com/search?q=visa+upd···irefox-a

plz excuse my style of typing....i only have 1finger to type with

jd
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

One would hope that Visa, after receiving a number of complaints about a merchant doing that, would disqualify them from use of Updater. It sounds like it would be better to work with the fraud department to flag and stop any future charges from the bad merchant than to get a new card.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

not gonna happen...........3reasons come 2mind.....
1. visa makes money on every hit
2. fraud is a tough one 2prove
3. those elderly folks and innocents....... i was referring 2........don't have instant alerts in place...........not w/o the help of a tech savvy family member or friend

i could go on and on.........
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI

Maybe, but I've had very good luck getting fraud charges reversed and, they told me, it's S.O.P. to then watch for attempts at further charges from the bad guys and deny them.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 recommendation

yes, i agree w/ that as well............and have had the same experiences, personally........
however, my point is really to make folks around us aware of the dangers associated with tv shopping...........

the 75 year old woman that got ripped ......in my post..........never had a chance........and the lag time of my discovery/actions cost her several hundred dollars.......
--

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to Phoenix22

Oh, definitely thanks for the post, I hadn't heard about that before and it's certainly something that can victimize a lot of people. I've often wondered about those late night commercials, if there's some sort of scam involved. Likely not all of them, but it hadn't occurred to me that they may use your card number to "subscribe" to something.

Thanks!

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 recommendation

you are welcome...i just hope we can help pass the word....the woman i was referring to......again .......said she didn't purchase this updater............but with double and triple talk............she most likely never even saw what hit her........imho
--

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Phoenix22

an update: i now find out.......as of friday..........the program allows the merchant to follow you even if you open a new account..........the ONLY SOLUTION is to totally shut down the card and work with your institutions fraud dept........if you re-open a VISA at any institution the charges will automatically start again........one the VAU completes itz task........

»usa.visa.com/merchants/payment_t···ter.html

Benefits for your customers:

Provides uninterrupted service.
Improves customer satisfaction by reducing negative experiences caused by declined transactions.
Keeps account update process transparent to customers.
--

i'll keep this thread updated as more info becomes available.........

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

1 recommendation

reply to Phoenix22

I wonder if other merchants/credit card companies have a similar thing going for other credit cards, not just Visa.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit

1 recommendation

good point.......after 2morrowz legalese...i should have some answers......til then......stay safe......

Automatic Billing Updater
Boost Customer Satisfaction and
Reduce Customer Service Demand

»www.mastercard.us/merchants/auto···ing.html

Download PDF Here:
»www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/p···heet.pdf
--
quick advice........never buy anything that requires multiple payments.......with any credit card.......i haven't researched all the other charge cards yet...........but i'll bet they're in place.....

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

1 recommendation

American Express® also has a similar program in place.
There's is different in that they don't actually supply the vendor with the new account data, they internally update the old account data transparent to the vendor.
Same difference though from the customers perspective.
It clouds the line between who is more a threat to the consumer caught in the middle, the card issuer or the thieves who manipulate a system that begs for abuse.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth

1 edit

i.m pretty much guessing here................but i'll wager they ALL do..........discover, etc.

the fraud affidavits are completed and the card is permanently shut down

jd

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by Phoenix22:

i.m pretty much guessing here................but i'll wager they ALL do..........discover, etc.

FWIW, Discover doesn't update account data to merchants.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Snowy:

said by Phoenix22:

FWIW, Discover doesn't update account data to merchants.

really?...........look again

Account Updater

Eliminate revenue interruptions when cardmembers update information.

Automatically provide merchants with updated account information when a card account is expired, compromised, lost or the card product changes
Improve cardmember satisfaction by preventing hassles, including seamless continuance of their recurring payments

Keep customers’ recurring payments coming even when credit card information changes. Discover Account Updater automatically updates cardmember information for recurring payment customers, so your revenue, and their service, remain uninterrupted.

»www.discovernetwork.com/financia···ter.html
--
05/08
The Discover Network quietly has launched a service to provide updated cardholder-account information from a variety of issuers to merchants that charge recurring payments to credit and debit cards, CardLine has learned. Discover began offering the service, called Discover Network Account Updater, in early May through its acquirers and directly to merchants, Discover representatives tell CardLine sister publication Cards&Payments. "Cardholders' account information can change for a variety of reasons, including expiration-date changes, reissues due to loss or changes in card products," says Beth Horowitz, vice president of product development for Discover Financial Services. …

»www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-179066938.html

Card Account Updater
Into the Black Hole
Making Sense of the Credit Card Reality

Posted by UniBul on Thursday, January 28th, 2010, 12:36 pm
»blog.unibulmerchantservices.com/···updater/

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by Phoenix22:

really?...........look again...

Aah, you are so right & I am so wrong!
Thanks for the correction!

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth

you are welcome....
jd

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
reply to jaykaykay

Aside from the percentage charge that credit cards are now going to be charging just by using them, this is, if nothing else, a good reason to go back to cash/checks.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by jaykaykay:

Aside from the percentage charge that credit cards are now going to be charging just by using them, this is, if nothing else, a good reason to go back to cash/checks.

What charge? I get a rebate for using my cards.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA

1 recommendation

»www.newsy.com/videos/new-law-let···stomers/

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI

Oh, a charge the STORES can impose, I see. Oh well, back to AMEX and debit cards if I start to hear that kind of noise.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA

I don't use my debit card and Amex is not accepted in many too many places, so it's not as easy as it looks for me.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay

more here.......Here's a follow up story to jaykaykay's link.

»blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2···rge.html

The thing is that credit card processing fees can really add up for small merchants. For many business owners, it's tough to pass these costs down to the consumer indirectly.

Under the settlement's terms, any merchant that imposes a credit card surcharge must:

Post a notice at the checkout,
Post a sign on their storefront, and
Disclose the fee on receipts as well.

Online merchants must notify customers about credit card surcharges as well.

But these new surcharges won't take effect in every state. Because of existing state laws, you won't be seeing these added surcharges in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, or Texas.

And American Express users won't be seeing these surcharges, either, as they go against AmEx's own rules for merchants. Nor will debit card users, as the settlement applies only to credit cards.

Furthermore, many large retailers have indicated no plans to take advantage of these new rules. According to the New York Daily News, Walmart, Target, Sears and Home Depot have indicated that they have no plans to add the surcharge.
--

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to jaykaykay

due to my disabilities.......i do.... use my debit card w/o any instances of trouble....4the last 8........yup 8 years