Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to rconaway8

Premium Member

to rconaway8

Re: Smallest Physical Modem for Mediacom

There is no list readily available. All DOCSIS 2.0 modems will work on our networks. Most of your DOCSIS 3.0 modems should have no troubles either, but we fully support the following:

Cisco DPC3825/ 3925/ 3000/ 3208
Motorola SB6120
Netgear CG3000D
RCA DHG574

Motorola SB6121 has also been known to work on our network, though we do not have manufacturer-provided firmware revisions to fully support it.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by MediacomChad:

we fully support the following:
Motorola SB6120

Motorola SB6121 has also been known to work on our network, though we do not have manufacturer-provided firmware revisions to fully support it.

Chad I just gotta ask this question because so many ask about the Moto SB 6121.

It is well known and easily proved by doing a little searching that the Motorola SB6120 and SB6121 share the SAME firmware image. Please Reference the PDF document right here on Broadbandreports

» ··· CM03.pdf

On the very first page it Says: "The SB6120 and SB6121 take the same Firmware image"

I have also read that the only differences are cosmetic between the 6120 and 6121 ie: different light arrangement and a little different case.

So here is the BIG question: Since the Moto SB6120 and the SB6121 have the SAME firmware why does Mediacom not support the SB6121? For all practical purposes from what I have researched on the net they are the same modem, just different cosmetics.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

We have not built our own firmware for the modem as of yet. I do not have any further information regarding availability for it at this time.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by MediacomChad:

We have not built our own firmware for the modem as of yet. I do not have any further information regarding availability for it at this time.

I guess what I wanted to know if I was not clear: Why will the 6120 Firmware not work on the 6121? According to Motorola both modems use the same firmware. Somehow this just not make sense that both modems use the same firmware yet MC will not support the later (same firmware) model 6121.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

The 6121 will not be supported until we create our own firmware for it.

At this time, there is no estimated date as to when/if this will be done.
poolShark
join:2002-11-21
Marshall, IL

poolShark

said by MediacomChad:

So, why does Mediacom need to create their own firmware for modems? Why not just use the manufacturers supplied firmware? Creating/modifying firmware makes me think of how computer companies like HP, Toshiba, Dell, etc mess up the computers they sell by adding junk to a plain Windows installation.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

Actually, Be glad they can't/ don't want to push firmware to it. Because they would i'm sure "lock it down" to prevent the less then tech savy customer know what is going on with there services

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by IowaMan:

Actually, Be glad they can't/ don't want to push firmware to it. Because they would i'm sure "lock it down" to prevent the less then tech savy customer know what is going on with there services

This begs the question: Of what Benefit is Mediacom pushed Firmware??

I have a Moto 6121 which has worked flawlessly for 1 year. I can not see ANY benefit of having MediaCom supplied firmware. None.

Maybe the MC firmware, would as you suggest, benefit Mediacom by having control of MY modem which I purchased. No thanks.

BAINCH
MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY

BAINCH to poolShark

MVM

to poolShark
said by poolShark:

said by MediacomChad:

So, why does Mediacom need to create their own firmware for modems? Why not just use the manufacturers supplied firmware? Creating/modifying firmware makes me think of how computer companies like HP, Toshiba, Dell, etc mess up the computers they sell by adding junk to a plain Windows installation.

We don't change the manufacturer's supplied firmware. The modem requires the firmware include a supported secure key to prevent tampering. Each company keeps their own key. When we get the code from the manufacturer we have to add our key before it can go on the modem.
BAINCH

BAINCH to Lazy Senior

MVM

to Lazy Senior
said by Lazy Senior:

said by MediacomChad:

I guess what I wanted to know if I was not clear: Why will the 6120 Firmware not work on the 6121? According to Motorola both modems use the same firmware. Somehow this just not make sense that both modems use the same firmware yet MC will not support the later (same firmware) model 6121.

This is a excellent point, it is the same firmware. When multiple models use the same firmware the management tool has to be updated with that info so that it understands that SB6121s can be given the same firmware file as the SB6120s (which was most likely not done.) I will check on that.