join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to medbuyer

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

said by medbuyer:

said by MSauk:

Hell I am not going to lie, I am jealous! I wish I could do something like that in the house we own right now. You know how nice it would be and it would also clean up a lot of cables laying around.

Congrats on that, nice job

no way to fish new cables?

if I could do it all over again, I'd do 4 outlets too but only 2 runs of cat6 and 2 runs of rg6 per room. kitchen, living room, family room, front, garage and back door entrances and the garage itself get 2 cat6 and 2 coax each, not counting the thermostats and security panel..but the biggest splurge would be the media room or home theater room or even the family room, i'd say a dozen cat6 and a dozen coax, fiber and hdmi as planned per home theater equipment needs.

others have advocated running conduit so you can add / replace cables easily but that depends on the structure of the house if it's feasible...

To be honest I wouldn't know how to do it. I would have to pay it out to someone.
--
801 Images

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
I don't mind having a switch in my "busy" rooms (office, server, and media), but one less device would be nice. Take that saved money and invest in a bitchin' managed switch to cover the whole house.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to MSauk
said by MSauk:

To be honest I wouldn't know how to do it. I would have to pay it out to someone.

and there's nothing wrong with paying somebody to do it as long as they do it properly.

it takes off the blame from yourself if something goes wrong...lol

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to nocannothave
said by nocannothave:

I don't mind having a switch in my "busy" rooms (office, server, and media), but one less device would be nice. Take that saved money and invest in a bitchin' managed switch to cover the whole house.

it's intriguing how much money the OP spent to have all those wires laid out, marked, fastened etc...

knowing the OP is in CT, it might be a good sum....if I remember correctly, when I had my house built, the low voltage guy was charging me somewhere $50-75 i think per cable run in addition to what the bldg. plans called for.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

said by MSauk:

and there's nothing wrong with paying somebody to do it as long as they do it properly.

it takes off the blame from yourself if something goes wrong...lol

haha, nice!
--
801 Images