Search similar:

uniqs
MisterP
join:2012-10-11
US

1 edit

MisterP

[Speed] Is this config BLAST! ?

I am in the Middle TN area and have a Zoom 5341J Hardware Ver. A0, Software Ver 5.5.4.9J and the config file the modem has downloaded is: d11_m_5341j_speedtier_c01.cm

Just wondering if this is BLAST! tier internet or not; I have noticed my netspeed as of late get slower even at non-peak times and my signals are good both up and down. ShaperProbe says I am getting 26/1 which doesn't make sense.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

No. It's most likely *Performance*.

The Blast naming convention looks like this;

d11_m_ [******] _speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

*denotes modem model number.

Please post the Shaperprobe output.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

I thought performance had the silver config

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

It depends. I've seen differing naming conventions in different market areas for the same service. It's part of CC's history of being convoluted in many aspects..
MisterP
US

1 edit

MisterP

EG,

That's why I IMed you after I posted in the other top of extreme 50 config file but I guess you didn't get it. I'm in Middle TN.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.102.0.111.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 1123 Kbps.
Downstream: 36339 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 3.0 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 1087 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19497-19982 KB;
Shaping rate: 26618 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

But what I don't get is this: »stage.results.speedtest. ··· 6072.png

All the speed tests say I'm around 4-6Mbps upload but Shaper says I'm at only 1000KB. Very confusing. And I've been running shaperprobes daily for over a week so this isn't an edge case; they are all around 1000KB; VERY rarely will it display around 4-5Mbps as should be the Blast upload speed.
MisterP

MisterP

Just called Comcast and they said anything with 'speedtier' in the name is Blast unless it has an 'extreme' modifier in it, then that would be extreme 50 or whatever the speed.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

I have Blast which has now been upgraded from 25/4 to 50/10 and I've had it (Blast) since it was 16/2 and the config file name has always been "speedtierextreme2". Forget about the config file names, they don't prove anything as the naming conventions for Comcast configs has always been convoluted !! There is no credibility in the names used. The can mean different things in different areas. I even have had Comcast insider employees admit to me to lazy engineering...

Comcast needs to get it's act together as far as standardizing many things system wide !!
MisterP
US

MisterP

soooooo.... ok, ignoring the confile file now.

So what about ShaperProbe giving me wonky upload results? Does anyone else have an issue with ShaperProbe not giving them accurate results? (Over several tests; I know it can give one off weird results)

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Before I respond, let me say that ShaperProbe is the standard that most use to confirm what your provisioning is & I fully endorse it. That being sad, I have issues with it working for "me" which I have yet to find the solution to fix the issue.

sanjose
@comcastbusiness.net

sanjose to MisterP

Anon

to MisterP
Are you testing via WiFi? I noticed the same strange results on all my laptops using Intel WiFi radios. Plug in via ethernet and the issue goes away. Note that this started to occur after reinstalling Windows on several laptops. Testing with laptops not using the Intel WiFi radio does not show these strange results

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

WiFi results are not reliable indicators of your actual speed. There are troo many variables. I recently had to change my WiFi channel due to interference. A neighbor apparently got a new router and was using the same channel as I was. After changing the channel, speed and reliability went back to normal.

sanjose
@comcastbusiness.net

sanjose

Anon

said by owlyn:

WiFi results are not reliable indicators of your actual speed. There are troo many variables. I recently had to change my WiFi channel due to interference. A neighbor apparently got a new router and was using the same channel as I was. After changing the channel, speed and reliability went back to normal.

Testing here in a clean RF environment within a faraday cage lab environment using 2:2:2 configuration with various enterprise Cisco APs. Associated rate is 300Mbps with RSSI of -29dB and lower. The WiFi connection is as ideal as you can get for 5Ghz and is more than capable of testing against a 50/10 cable Internet connection. The downstream comes out at 50mbps+/- and 2Mbps+/- upstream when running ShaperProbe on Windows host machines configured with an Intel WiFi chipset radio. Mind you it does not do this to internal or external iperf servers.

In addition using any number of Macs connected via WiFi with ShaperProbe results in ideal 50/10 results, nor does the referred slow upload results occur when using other WiFi chipset radios such as those from Atheros, Broadcom or RALink.

There is definitely something happening with the use of ShaperProbe in combination with Intel WiFi chipset radios on Windows boxes. The end result is poor estimated capacity and shaping rate for the upload.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to MisterP

Premium Member

to MisterP
In my area, (speedtier_c01.cm), is Blast. I have Blast 25/4 and that is my config file name.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by Ripper:

In my area, (speedtier_c01.cm), is Blast. I have Blast 25/4 and that is my config file name.

FWIW, I've always had Blast and even though it is now 50/10 my config file name always looked like this in my area;

d11_m_ [******] _speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

* denotes modem model number.

From what I've seen, historically you can't put much credence in Comcast's naming convention for their boot files... There never seems to be any consistency in what they are supposed to represent...

Also bear in mind that these days the config file doesn't really directly control the rate caps at the modem level any longer. The config files now point the modem to a certain class of service / rate cap which is now configured / controlled at the CMTS level. They basically can make the config file name anything they like. It proves nothing.
MisterP
US

MisterP to Ripper

to Ripper
Sorry for the delayed reply; thought this topic was dead.

thanks for confirming Ripper. I've long since given up on ShaperProbe as I've heard from other users that their servers have been giving wonky results recently and every other true test of speed (actually downloading and uploading large files and using a live bandwidth meter) is showing I am getting 25/4 Blast speeds so I'm good. And I always test with a direct Ethernet to the modem; I'm aware wifi and other shenanigans get in the way of a clean reading.

And EG is very correct on the config file as I have found out recently. Talking with a CC rep I found that my Blast package was audited or some such and someone broke it up to Performance net and Basic TV, thus the CMTS was capping the connection (When you do one of those speed tests, he explained to me you will notice how it gets to a certain level then floats right around a specific number). That's the CMTS capping you based on billing info which was incorrect in my case. Now that he corrected it back to Blast I have been ok. He said once the billing info is changed, the update to your connection is almost immediate.