how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to OHN

Re: What Specialization Would You Choose Now?

said by OHN:

If you had to do it over again, would you select a different specialization

No.

Of course, I didn't so much pick my career path as it did me. I went back to school to study programming (because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life working in a tennis shop and stringing tennis rackets--fun stuff but didn't pay all that well). One of my instructors had a guy working for him who had a position, so they offered me a job; part-time funded became part-time hourly became full-time hourly became full-time permanent and that led to real promotions. Even though all of my jobs since have had "analyst" or "engineer" in the title and I've gotten to do precious little programming, coding is still what I'd prefer over anything else... except I'd still pick the better-paying job that offers a little programming now and then over the pure programming job that doesn't pay nearly as well. The only change I'd really make is to have gotten into it 10 years earlier than I did (even though that would have meant coding sheets and punch cards for much of that next 10 years--something I chose not to do at that 10-years-earlier time when I had the chance [just didn't know how much fun it would turn out to be]).
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"