share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Is Docsdiag still a valid utility?

Everyone,

Was doing a little research on what some of the items on my cable modem's status page mean (like UCID and DCID for example), and I came across this page

»homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.···ocsdiag/

I recall using this program many many years ago, and was wondering if it could still be used today on current modems.

I know back in the day, there was little (if any) information on a modem status screen. That of course has changed, but I was wondering if this tool would provide any useful information.

That is, if it would still work on today's Docsis 3.0 modems.

So, just wanted to ask about it, and if its something that still has value today, like it did many years ago.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
I think it would still work IF SNMP was allowed from the user side. Most, if not all, disabled it due to some SNMP protocol vulnerabilities. Toshiba had a rather nice utility packaged with their modems.

At one time when the modem access was stopped, limited CMTS inquires were still available(on another CableCo). I'd bet by now those have been closed as well.

Try it and see...........
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything