Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

Favorite DVD player?

Click for full size
SAMPLE: Pioneer Elite DV-09
What's yours?
Mine would have to be the Pioneer Elite DV-09. Why? Look at this damn beast! Bought brand new factory sealed a way back only to very recently be installed and put to lite use. One one the very first players to pass THX's DVD-player certification program. Fantastic unit that's built like a tank. It weighs around 35-40lbs with internal copper-clad parts for the chassis rear and bottom, internal partitions, and parts of the player mechanism. When you eject a DVD, the double air lock shield is released slowly dropping forward the front cover door to revel the CD-ROM like tray door which then ejects the disc shortly after. Complete and utter overkill... but so damn sexy.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Bach
Premium
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI
At 35-40 pounds that thing's in the same league as my Pioneer CLD-900 Laserdisc player.

But lets see, I've got two Blu-ray players, a Toshiba HD-A20 HD-DVD player from when Blu-ray players still cost too much, and one ordinary DVD player (a Panasonic) that still works.

The Blu-ray player has some convenient features: WI-FI networking, streams from a variety of Internet audio and video sources, plays from USB sticks, plus the Windows 7 workstations can send audio/video/pictures to it.

But the one that gets the most use for playing standard definition DVDs is the HD-DVD player. Its user interface is better than any of the other players, plus if I've got a DVD that skips or pixelates due to data errors on the other players, the HD-DVD player always plays it flawlessly. It's only downside is it takes 45 seconds to boot up

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to Dustyn
My Sony BDP-BX18 because it was $40 and can stream media. If costs were no issue I would get a Panasonic DMP-BD80 and/or an Oppo BDP-95. I also like the Panasonic DMP-BBT01 cause it just looks cool (and is tiny).

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

3 edits
reply to Bach
Click for full size
Pioneer Elite DVL-91
Click for full size
Pioneer Elite CLD-99
Almost jumped on the HD-DVD wagon when they came out but passed. Blu-ray... well... the only reason I own Blu-ray movies is due to the fact that I have two drives in my PC tower that can read and playback HD-DVD/Blu-ray discs. No plans on getting a Blu-ray player for my entertainment system. I have no room and don't think I can add anymore weight with those Elite units on my glass shelving. I would like to see how HD-DVDs playback on my pc someday. My primary Laserdisc unit for years was the combo DVD/LD Pioneer Elite DVL-91. Unfortunately, I can't rely on it as much these days to play DVDs as it tends to pixelate and freeze up at random times while watching movies. I can't figure out why it does this and with certain discs too. It never has any issues playing Laserdiscs. It's now sitting in storage, replaced with a brand new Pioneer Elite CLD-99 unit. She is a thing of beauty! Sample pics to show models.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to Dustyn
I've not used any, but the Elite line has always been highly recommended. I plan on upgrading my entertainment system later this year. My current plans are for the Oppo player.
--
Google is your Friend

BangBang

join:2000-07-05
Fairview, NJ
reply to Dustyn
I miss my old APEX AD-500W. That thing would play anything you threw at it

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Dustyn
The only one I have at the moment. my PS3.

Though I have a Samsung in another room that if I need a DVD player in a pinch I can use that. But I do not think it has HDMI output.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports