dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to d4m1r

to d4m1r

Re: [DSL] 300GB - Cap overage procedures?

said by d4m1r:

I will also remind you that all the non-unlimited packages operate under the honour system currently meaning since you are not provided with a tool to monitor your own usage, they cannot bill you for it.

Videotron does TPIA usage tracking through their portal and TSI does their own usage tracking for xDSL.

The "honor system" is mainly about Rogers' TPIA.

drjp81
join:2006-01-09
canada

drjp81

said by InvalidError:

said by d4m1r:

I will also remind you that all the non-unlimited packages operate under the honour system currently meaning since you are not provided with a tool to monitor your own usage, they cannot bill you for it.

Videotron does TPIA usage tracking through their portal and TSI does their own usage tracking for xDSL.

I'm on Videotron and the honor system is applied. Videotron's tool is not "legally binding" for TSI in the TPIA, as I was told. They cannot prove it to be accurate is what I understand.

news2me
@videotron.ca

news2me

Anon

said by drjp81:

said by InvalidError:

said by d4m1r:

I'm on Videotron and the honor system is applied. Videotron's tool is not "legally binding" for TSI in the TPIA, as I was told. They cannot prove it to be accurate is what I understand.

Have a link to that?
CRTC filing?
A post from someone at TSI?
Anything at all to back up what you said?

First I hear of this.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to drjp81

to drjp81
said by drjp81:

Videotron's tool is not "legally binding" for TSI in the TPIA, as I was told. They cannot prove it to be accurate is what I understand.

Videotron's tool being "legally binding" is irrelevant since TSI pays Videotron based on peak aggregate bandwidth in current interim tariffs.

As for accuracy, Videotron tracks TPIAs exactly the same way they track their own subscribers and Videotron has about 15 years of experience at doing so, so the accuracy should be pretty good as long as the modem-account association is correct.

drjp81
join:2006-01-09
canada

drjp81

IMHO Pretty good, isn't good enough for billing. But that's a different debate.

I was told as much by the tech-sup at TSI, when I moved to cable, that as it was (and perhaps things have changed) they could not do accurate tracking, so until such time they could, it was honor system based. I was also told that if the metering was to be enforced, I would get an "official" heads up, via e-mail I supposed.

And though I have no written info for you, I can attest that I've spilled over a bit, a few times, without a hit on my bill.

So that's how I know that the honor system applies(d).
Funky_
join:2004-06-05
Canada

Funky_

Interesting. I wish we had more information on this.

I've noticed that the Videotron tracking does not display the same amount of usage as my tracking software used in my router.

The Videotron tracker is always above what my router tells me I am using although not by much.