shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

1 edit

Project Titan Rumors

Originally spotted over at MMO Champion. Props to the source story over at TitanFocus.info.

said by TitanFocus.info :

Titan is not entirely a brand new IP and is also coming on XBOX + more. [rumor]
Jan 01 2013 05:43 PM | mynsc in News

We parse through many rumors / "leaks" on the Titan Focus forums, ranging from some that are completely bonkers, to a few that actually make us wonder "what if". This next one went through most of the stages in the few days we've been discussing it and since it proved to be quite solid and big, we thought it would be time to make it more visible.

As with any rumor, please keep in mind that this may be very well be false info, even if the evidence we've dug up seems to suggest otherwise.

Rumor contents (All credit for finding these messages goes to Slayer)

The following four quotes come from the NeoGAF forums and are made by a user there with the nickname alphaNoid. Over the last two - three years he has made many comments related to Project Titan. You can find all of them here, I'll just highlight the more interesting ones (although they're all worth reading for sure!)

alphaNoid
I will end with this tidbit though, Blizzard has been on record saying that Titan would be a new IP. Its not, its a spin off of an existing franchise ... and they're playing into that to allude to a new IP.
Its going to be what Blizzard fans want.

alphaNoid
All I'm going to say is Titan isn't technically a new IP, it is.. but it isn't. Its a spinoff of an existing Blizzard IP. Titan is the next Blizzard MMO, but its not Warcraft.

There's a ton more, but you'll have to read the rest over at TitanFocus.info

OK, changed my mind. Here's the rest of the story, for you sad souls that are blocked.

said by TitanFocus.info :

alphaNoid
FYI Titan just left the framework stage not long ago. Level designers and artists just got their hands involved recently. You probably won't see anything Titan related until closer to 2014.

alphaNoid
Nobody has dev kits? Thats 100% bullshit, considering my insider at Blizzard who is working on the Titan framework has had access to a near final "next Xbox" dev kit since November. He wont tell me the details, he can't and even eluding to the dev kit in general was a dog and pony show because he is under NDA personally signed. Next xbox dev kits are in the wild, whether or not they are final and the specs are another discussion but they are out there that I can say.

Summary + extra details:

•Titan is not a brand new IP, but a spin off based on one of the existing franchises (not Warcraft though). On HardForum (see next section for clarifiction) he actually mentions a "World of Diablo-like ... spin off", but this seems to be just his opinion and not something based on direct info. I think it's worth keeping in mind that BlackThorne resembles in a way the Diablo universe, so this might be an option too.

•Besides the PC version, which Rob Pardo confirmed during Blizzcon 2011 to be the main focus of the team, Titan is also being prepared for a launch on the next-gen version of the XBOX console. Here's another quote from Noid suggesting this.

theNoid
Also, what I'm getting at in a stealth manner is that the team working on Titan at Blizzard, the successor, the next MMORPG after WoW is now working on writing framework for the next Xbox in addition to PC. The only other thing I was told was that the SDK for the next Xbox is the best SDK they have ever worked with.

•Most of his messages point towards a late 2014, early 2015 launch. He was quite accurate when it comes to the Diablo 3 release date, even way back in 2010, so we should keep an open mind to his Titan prediction too.

As a small bonus, here's quite an interesting Starcraft 2 tidbit:

theNoid
No, incorrect. Starcraft 2 was delayed because they're reworking the code since they decided to remove LAN play. My coworker lives with one of the programmers at Blizzard, so this is legit info. Blizzard operates like a factory, step 1 in game development is the programmers coming in to build to groundwork for the game. When they're done, artists, level designers etc.. come in next, and then those programmers are moved to the next project.

In Starcraft 2's case, programmers were pulled from 'other' projects to come back to Starcraft 2 to rework the network design. Its coming Q1 2010.

Why do we trust alphaNoid? (All credit for finding this info goes to Rhaiden.)

Turns out he also frequents HardForum under the nickname theNoid. We know it's the same person thanks to a few of his posts on neoGAF, in which he mentions using theNoid as a nickname earlier on and also that he's an old user on HardForum.

And now for the interesting part. In July 2009, on HardForums, he had this to say:

theNoid
I can't go into too much detail, but a guy on my team lives with a code monkey who's working on Project Titan at Blizzard. This is their rumored successor to WoW, and is located in the Diablo wing of the building, higher security locked doors. Think Willy Wonka level access. Nobody comes in, nobody comes out.

Anywho, apparently the majority of the underlaying 'code' for Diablo 3 has been done for quite some time. Blizzard runs development like a factory line, where programmers hop from project to project as soon as that portion is done. Apparently the design team is now working on Diablo 3, where many of the Diablo 3 programmers have moved into the Project Titan area to begin working there. This means (or so I'm told) that the core work is done, Blizzard is layering in the other teams to finish the game.

My coworker told me about Starcraft 2 not having LAN over a year ago, and said the Diablo 3 decision was in place before the game began production. Blizzard is going to give you every excuse they can, but the bottom line is that the purposely left the feature out of the games to combat piracy and FORCE gamers to you know ... buy their game.

Also, expect subscription tiers for Battle.net over the next 5 years eventually leading to no free to play model in the far future.

My sources are nothing I can directly link, so don't believe them if you don't want to. It doesn't matter to me who cares, all I know is I haven't been led incorrectly yet. I've met, and shaken hands with the man.

This is now by far the first ever public mention of the "Project Titan" codename in relation to Blizzard's new MMO, coming way before the December 2010 product slate leak that clued us in. The post has not been later edited and has also been quoted at that time by others, so it's obvious that theNoid / alphaNoid does indeed have valid inside sources.

What we can't know is how accurate is the info he himself transmits to us. By analyzing some of his other remarks, mostly related to the people working on the framework of Titan, and comparing them with our known and quite trusty Timeline, we did find some inconsistencies. For example, at Blizzcon 2010 we've been told by Blizzard that there are around 50 people working on it, while he is mentioning

--
Games - GameTech - S.F.Bay -

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA
SO what, it is planetside 2 but done in starcraft?

After diablo 3 Im not holding my breath for anything blizzard ever makes anymore. Their games are bad until proven good, now.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to shinjuru
/yawn

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to shinjuru
said by shinjuru:

Its going to be what Blizzard fans want.

Blizzard fans have been asking for a Starcraft mmo for a long time.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to shinjuru
said by shinjuru:

Firewalls dude, firewalls.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to shinjuru
Lost Vikings MMO... I'm pumped!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
said by TheThing:

Lost Vikings MMO... I'm pumped!

World of Blackthorne

Battle Chess Online
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Kaltes
said by Kaltes:

After diablo 3 Im not holding my breath for anything blizzard ever makes anymore. Their games are bad until proven good, now.

The day has come brother.

TheThing

reply to shinjuru
Blizzard is still innovative... but only in it's graduates, which have moved on to make or are making:

Firefall
GW2
Marvel Heroes

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to drew
said by drew:

said by shinjuru:

Firewalls dude, firewalls.

Poor souls. I updated with the rest of the thread from TitanFocus.info.
--
Games - GameTech - S.F.Bay -

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

2 recommendations

reply to shinjuru
I'd definitely play a StarCraft MMO.

I was so sad when they cancelled Ghost.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Anything Modern, combat-wise versus the ol' Board and Sword would be nice.

TheThing

reply to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

I'd definitely play a StarCraft MMO.

I was so sad when they cancelled Ghost.

My feeling is they cancelled Ghost because of WOSCO (World of Starcraft Online)

inb4anyoneelse

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to shinjuru
said by shinjuru:

Anything Modern, combat-wise versus the ol' Board and Sword would be nice.

Or combine them. Space guns that shoot shields & swords.

TheThing

Starcraft Universe Online:

2 Playable Factions: Terran vs. Protoss
Common Enemy: Zerg

Protoss Playable Classes:
Dragoon
Zealot
Templar
Dark Templar
etc...

Terran Playable Classes:
Marine
Firebat
Ghost
Medic
etc...

Should be loot driven game... however, like Marvel Heroes, loot should NOT change appearance of toons.

Toon appearance should be changed uniformly by skins, which give some sort of perks stat wise.

how to work in land/space/air units.. who the hell knows

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

That sounds God awful knowing how MMO players work. You know that Dark Templar & Firebats will bitch about not having enough range, meanwhile Medics will complain that their Optic Flare doesn't do enough DPS.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
said by Thaler:

That sounds God awful knowing how MMO players work. You know that Dark Templar & Firebats will bitch about not having enough range, meanwhile Medics will complain that their Optic Flare doesn't do enough DPS.

That's what perma-stealth and 'roids are for.

As for the Medics, well... uhhhh... Sponge Bath time?
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

TheThing

reply to Thaler
marine + dragoon are ranged

zealot + firebat are melee basically

medic + templar are healer/magic caster

Dark templar + ghost are your stealthy rogues, one is ranged one is melee

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by TheThing:

marine + dragoon are ranged

zealot + firebat are melee basically

medic + templar are healer/magic caster

Dark templar + ghost are your stealthy rogues, one is ranged one is melee

Oh, I understand this completely. I'm just saying MMO players will bitch about lacking things that their class fundamentally just shouldn't have.

(ie. Your suggestion is fine. I can just see what the future forum rants will be like...and it will be dumb as hell.)

TheThing

OMG...

similar to Marvel Heroes, Titan should allow you to switch between your toons whenever you want. Lke your own little platoon.

All toon share account wide stash, account wide gold, etc...

in BGs you would have to lock in your selection before starting, in PvE and raids... allow peole to change on the fly

this would require instancing loot to you, no more rolling on gear, just RNG on if you get the piece you looking for

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to shinjuru
It's not like Blizzard has a ton of popular IPs. There's:

Warcraft
Starcraft
Diablo

They've already got Warcraft. World of Diablo would be in direct competition as the same types of classes and genre would exist, even though it's a different storyline.

World of Starcraft is it. A long time ago, someone used the SC2 map editor to begin working on an MMO. Blizzard's lawyers went after this guy to shut him down. Then they realized that this was the wrong approach, so they apologized and invited this guy to Blizzard's HQ for a tour.

The reaction is that they wanted to shut down his MMO efforts because they were already working on it.

You're going to see World of Starcraft.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to TheThing
Dark Templar!!!

But then it would be a game where we can use vehicles. I would like to pilot a massive Carrier.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to shinjuru
You lost me at "xbox"

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
A long time ago, I did make mention that it could be "World of Halo" as a joint venture with M$.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

World of Starcraft is it.

"Nuclear launch detected."

Ghost class, cooldown 10 mins? ^_^

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
I hope it's done a little better than that.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to shinjuru
My bet is it's going to be a first person based MMO like firefall but based on Call of Duty.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
said by Moos:

My bet is it's going to be a first person based MMO like firefall but based on Call of Duty.

Actually an MMO based on modern combat would be kind of cool. But I can see where you are going with this.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

I hope it's done a little better than that.

Let's just hope they don't reuse WoW rogue code. Otherwise Ghost stealth will never f***ing work right.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
We've all been playing these types of games for a while. We've sat through WoW killer after WoW killer and I've seen dozens of people here post about how the next big MMO will kill WoW, only to see tremendous disappointment because believed in their own hype over reality.

Another observation is that when people talk about a game "being only in beta" and you can't judge it, that is absolute horse shit.

There has yet to be a single game that was in beta that was remarkably different after release. There were a few bug fixes and some slight changes, but most of the games were nearly identical in beta as they were in live.

I will set aside other games to specifically look at Titan. Titan is the WoW killer. It either kills WoW by finally replacing it, or it kills WoW by sinking Blizzard. At the end of the day, Titan will be WoW's ultimate end, one way or another.

I don't review games too often, but I vow to put together a thorough and honest review of this game.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK