how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zee5tH

join:2005-09-08
reply to Blackbird

Re: Open a pdf in browser vs in application

Hi I agree with your philosophy on layered security,what I would like to know first of all I have 2 pc's with Win 7 Home Premium and 2 with XP3.I would like to know which is the better pdf reader Adobe (Current VS)or Fox it.I have both on my default browser Firefox(the latest version),with the plugins disabled.My question is if you go the layered route there are some Brokerage sites that offer research on certain things.I have not gone to the research section since these exploits came out in Adobe or Fox it.I don't want to lose my personal information by opening one of these pdf reports they offer,is there a safe way of opening many research reports in a layered way without giving up any of my info.I hope I explained this the right way.
Thank you.

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

join:2006-08-11
WV

If by personal information you mean files on your computer you could set up Sandboxie to do this. I use Sandboxie to isolate my internet facing programs from the rest of my computer. When I open my browser it is "sandboxed" and anything I open with it such as a pdf would open and sandbox my pdf reader.

I can also set restrictions as to what can open and have internet access in the sandbox. It's also possible to restrict access to files, folders or partitions by anything running in that sandbox.

Sandboxie is often overlooked but I wouldn't surf without it. My other layers include an AV and 2 on-demand scanners. I also run a HIPS program to alert me in the off chance anything would run without my permission. Recent backups of data are also important.
--
If we quit voting, will they all just go away?

Zee5tH

Where can i get Sandboxie from? Please excuse that I am not familiar with this program.

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

join:2006-08-11
WV

You can have a look at Sandboxie here. »www.sandboxie.com/
--
If we quit voting, will they all just go away?

Zee5tH

Thank you very much.I will try Sandboxie.If I have any questions I will post them.