how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Haplo

join:2013-01-21

1 edit

[SOLVED] Need help setting up Comwave with ADT

Ok so I messed around with the telephone wires on the Customer access bell box outside and losened one of them enough to cut off connection to bell. Then I set up comwave to go to all the analog ports though my house and it's working. The only problem is that I can't get my ADT system to work. I know ADT isn't very VOIP friendly but there have been users that had success. Can someone give me any tips?

Current setup that I have right now. In my bedroom: Cable modem -> Comwave VOIP -> Router. Comwave VOIP is going to line 2 cable and powering all the lines in the house.

»[Other] Comwave iPhone and ADT alarm setup

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:25

Re: Need help setting up Comwave with ADT

The wires from Bell went first to the alarm system, which then fed the other phone jacks in the house. Your alarm disconnects the house jacks while calling, to prevent the system from being defeated by taking a phone off the hook. You will need to connect the Comwave device to the "input" side of your alarm panel.

See »[General] Comcast VoiP and home alrm issues.... .

Haplo

I ran turned my old router into a wireless bridge and tried connecting it directly. No dice. I can't even get single to my phone :\ I wonder if this is because I messed with the bell box outside and disconnected the line. I kinda doubt it though because it should be using VOIP not bell...

Is there anything else I can try to do other than/on top of connecting it directly?

Stewart

With the Comwave device in location at the alarm panel, connect a phone directly to it, to confirm that your bridge setup is working and that the Wi-Fi link is not impairing voice quality.

Then, get a regular phone jack (RJ11) and mount it near the RJ31X. At the RJ31X, disconnect the red and green wires (they go to the Bell box) but leave the yellow and black alone (they go to the house phone jacks). Run a new pair of wires from the red and green connections on the RJ11 to the red and green connections on the RJ31X. See »wiki.hometech.com/tiki-index.php···31X+Jack

Connect a short phone cord between the Comwave box and your new Rj11 and you should be good to go.

If you are not sure that you know what you are doing, get ADT or a security system professional to help.

Even if you get all this working correctly, it will likely be less secure than your former POTS setup. See my comments in »Is Voipo.com compatible with a Brinks alarms system .

Haplo

1 edit

Thanks, I get what you're saying. Just 2 more questions.

Once I install a new jack going to the RJ31X, how do I close it (or do I just put electrical tape and leave it as is? lol

Does port 1 of the VOIP modem go to the RJ31X port or the new jack? or Do I leave the cable that is in the RJ31X port alone and just connect to the new jack?

To make that a bit more clear:

Port 1 (of VOIP modem): RJ11 Port 2: RJ31X

or

Port 1: RJ31X Port 2: RJ11

or

Port 1: RJ11 Port 2: N/A (just leave the existing cable in RJ31X)

or

Port 1: N/A (just leave the existing cable in RJ31X) Port 2: RJ11

Stewart

The cable from the alarm panel plugs into the RJ31X, just as before. Port 1 of the Comwave box goes to the new RJ11 jack. If you buy a "surface mount" jack, it will come with screws to fasten it to the wall and/or a double-sided adhesive pad to stick it on. There is also a plastic cover that you snap on, after completing the wiring. There should be nothing dangling and no need to tape anything up.

Haplo

My question was pretty much asking if it had room to close after the added cable from the new jack.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to Haplo

This site has the info. you need: »voip.mi-telecom.org/

Haplo

I found a vid how to do it. Looks very simple.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr9ZZTCCuY8

Haplo

Ok, good and bad.

Good: I did what was suggested and the phone is working though the alarm.

Bad: Alarm is still saying there is no line. I guess Comwave is really not compatible or maybe something that got loose when I was messing around in the bell box disconnected the bell line but no fully.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the mail they are sending me of compatible VOIPs and go from there.

If there is anything else I can try please post.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Well, triple-check all the wiring and be sure that the alarm panel connection has a dial tone, that would be a start.

Stewart

reply to Haplo

Make sure that the wires from the Comwave box connect to the red and green screws on the RJ31X, and that any wires previously connected to those screws have been disconnected (except, of course, for wires that are part of the RJ31X itself). Also check that the cable from the alarm is plugged securely into the RJ31X.

On the Comwave web site, is there a way to view a log of calls made and received? If so, do you see any calls from the alarm system? If so, how long do they stay connected? Are there multiple attempts?

What is the make and model of the Comwave device? Make and model of your alarm panel? If you listen carefully to the panel, do you hear any clicking sounds when it attempts to call? If so, describe them. When the alarm panel is attempting to call and you pick up the phone, what do you hear (dial tone, silence, modem noises, etc.)? Does the Comwave device have an indicator that lights or flashes when you pick up the phone? If so, describe what this light shows when the alarm attempts to call. Do you have a voltmeter?

Haplo

I don't see anything in the log.

Alarm: PK5501

Grandstream: 961-0006-12A006

The Alarm has the hazard sign on (triangle inside of a triangle) and makes a beeping sound around every 15 sec.

When I set it up IDK if this is right or wrong but the red had both red and yellow from bell and green had both black and green from bell so I removed the red and green like you said but kept both the yellow and black as it is then installed the new jack.

BTW Grandstream seems to have zero info on google. :/

Stewart

Please post a picture (with covers off) showing RJ31X and new jack.

Haplo

»img255.imageshack.us/img255/5839···5817.jpg

Sorry, best pic I can take. I didn't touch any of the other contact other than the top 2.

Went by this pic.

»digitalhomeconversion.com/images···lors.png

Red = blue

Green = blue white. It seems to be correct seeing how the phone is working.

Stewart

Your wiring looks correct, except possibly for the yellow and black wires (not clear where they go) connected to the RJ31X red and green, but those should not prevent the alarm from calling.

What trouble code do you have? I believe that *2 should display it, but check your DSC user manual to be sure. Code 3 (telephone line fault) indicates that it doesn't see the phone line voltage or dial tone. Code 4 (failure to communicate) indicates that it made a call but did not receive a valid response from the central station. Any other code is not telephone line related.

If you have a code 3, swapping the wires from the Grandstream may help, i.e. try with the blue/white wire to the red post and the blue wire to the green post. You might also try temporarily disconnecting the yellow and black wires from the red and green RJ31X posts. That may cause some or all of your phones to stop working, but it may give a clue if it permits the alarm to work.

If you have a code 4, do you know whether your system uses Contact ID protocol? If so, the Grandstream may be incompatible; ask ADT whether they can try SIA protocol. Or, possibly Comwave can set the Grandstream for inband DTMF.

I could not recognize the Grandstream model number. Does it have HT followed by 3 digits printed on it anywhere, e.g. HT502?

Haplo

1 recommendation

Thanks, it turns out the system just wasn't testing it. I called ADT and they told me how to test it manually and it cut the line as expected and I called them back and they told me that they received the signal. The beeping sound and alarm sign is gone. Thanks for all the help.