All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Chilly
@comcast.net

Chilly

Anon

today my heater will not start umless...

Rheem Criterian heater will only start when I remove the bottom door and then replace it. The heater will then cycle normally and heat the house. But then gradually the temperature will drop and the heater will not start unless I repeat the process.
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1

Not familiar with that heater , but here is a guess .
For some reason the furnace is not proving flame .
When you remove and replace the door , a safety switch is cutting power to the unit .
This serves to reset the safety circuits when you replace the door .
You could check to see if this is the case by turning off power to the unit and then turning it back on .

In any case , you have an issue with the unit that should be looked at by a pro .
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to Chilly

Premium Member

to Chilly
said by Chilly :

... heater will only start when I remove the bottom door and then replace it ... gradually the temperature will drop and the heater will not start unless I repeat the process.

My guess is that your bottom door is not sitting (or fitting) properly. If bottom door is not closed properly, power is actually cut off from the blower motor.

Please adjust it again so it makes good contact to the metal frame - there should be no gaps. You could also try duct tape to hold the door tightly against the frame.

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to Chilly

Premium Member

to Chilly
I had that POS Rheem furnace and the same symptom, I agree with MrFixit1. My burner or something was going out, replaced it with a more efficient and much warmer furnace.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Jtmo:

I had that POS Rheem furnace and the same symptom, I agree with MrFixit1. My burner or something was going out, replaced it with a more efficient and much warmer furnace.

Yeah well the guy needs a temporary solution right now I guess

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Chilly

Premium Member

to Chilly
I assume this is a gas heater? and by the nature of your questions you are not familiar with it?

First advice: get someone to look at the unit ASAP. For some reason either the gas is not igniting properly when there is a call for heat or the flame sensor is not seeing the flame and shutting off the unit.

By removing the cover, you are resetting the safety system. Can you also get it to restart by turning off the breaker that feeds the furnace? If so, it is not a cover not making the door interlock switch (AKA rollout switch).

Since gas can go boom if things go badly or pipes can freeze and burst if the furnace totally fails and just stops working, PLEASE contact a service person to take a look at the problem.

No offence, but gas furnaces are no places for amateurs to play.
JJV
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

My friend had a friend work on his gas heater. The friend bypassed the electric eye that monitored the pilot light.
The long story made short is my friend was blown over backwards and had his hair singed and eyebrows removed. He was very lucky the whole house wasn't blown up.
Get a pro to check out your furnace.