Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to novasource

Re: [TWC] TWC DNS servers dont respond after awake from sleep

You are lucky. I can't even access the status page on this piece of junk. TWC has it locked down and I live nowhere near NYC(they are said to do that in NYC) Fortunately, it is a plain modem with no NAT or I would really be crawling up their asses if I could not forward ports. Good job Time Warner Cable assuming the user is an idiot. I am probably smarter than most of your engineers. Anyways I am glad that you got to sort that out. I had issues with an old Linksys router until I disabled that option. So I guess it doesn't always work so well in the midst of port probes which your firewall should take care of anyways, as long as it's configured correctly. Hardening your TCP IP stack can go just as far to protect against the sort of thing(DDoS), anyways. For me it's still a pain in the ass to have to plug in my old bought modem just to see my signal levels. I guess they are like most corporations and want to hide it when they are having an issue.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

novasource

join:2005-05-16
Dallas, TX
said by Selenia:

You are lucky. I can't even access the status page on this piece of junk.

Really? Try going to »192.168.0.1 (if you're directly connected), and when prompted to log in, use user for both the username and password.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
Tried it. My Arris responded to 192.168.100.1, which I tried before 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1(just in case). However, this POS doesn't respond to any of the above. 0.1 and 1.1 time right out. 100.1 hangs, which tells me that might be the right address, but TWC did something to disable it.

novasource

join:2005-05-16
Dallas, TX
said by Selenia:

Tried it. My Arris responded to 192.168.100.1, which I tried before 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1(just in case). However, this POS doesn't respond to any of the above. 0.1 and 1.1 time right out. 100.1 hangs, which tells me that might be the right address, but TWC did something to disable it.

Oh, whoops, I have a Ubee, not an Arris.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
I have a Ubee now. I am saying I had an Arris before and did not have these issues, including accessing the status page.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to novasource
That doesn't work if they've locked the gateway. Our BC service -- Ubee -- is locked. The issue appears to be that there's no "read-only" access for the thing; user/user would give us access to change things, which they really don't want. The previous unstable Arris had separate interfaces for the modem (:80) and router (:8080), so we could see the status without messing with any settings.

While I NEED to be able to see signal levels, they aren't going to give me access to change things just to see the status page. (sucks, and we've called twice because of cable side outages we couldn't see from our end. Luckily, we're calling a tech directly instead of the 30min-on-hold support number -- yes, he told us to do so.)