·Comcast

Decent Compressor and Impact Tool?

I've bought these items:

* MSI-PRO SM-403 Pneumatic 1/2-Inch Industrial Grade Impact Wrench
* Portable Air Compressor, 2 Horsepower, 8 Gallon, 125 PSI
* 25 ft 3/8" Air Hose
* Oil/Water Separator
* 3/8" Oil Fog Lubricator

I removed the quick-connect from the compressor and connected the oil/water separator followed by the oil fog lubricator and attached the quick connect fitting to its output. I filled the oil fog lubricator with automatic transmission fluid as per the instructions from the impact wrench.

I have attempted to remove wheel bolts with a 17mm impact socket and no other attachments but half of them will not come off. Then I tried to reinstall the bolts with 110NM (80 ft-lb) torque stick. I then set a torque wrench to 80 ft-lb and notice that the bolt still needs some turning to reach 80 ft-lb.

So, what's the problem here? I suspect I need a stronger compressor with a larger tank.
--
PRescott7-2097

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by joako:

So, what's the problem here? I suspect I need a stronger compressor with a larger tank.

Your compressor is rated at 4CFM @90 PSI. My guess is that it can deliver that for about 1/10th of a second immediately after a full recovery. A bigger tank or at least a secondary tank might help, but then you're just prolonging your recovery time. But a insufficient compressor is likely the culprit.

Also don't use torque sticks. They aren't accurate for general use, and definitely not accurate enough for any type of legitimate comparison to a real torque wrench properly calibrated.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to joako

Try upping the pressure. Each of the fittings and the separator/lubricator will drop pressure. You may want to try 100PSI at the tank.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

said by joako:

So, what's the problem here? I suspect I need a stronger compressor with a larger tank.[/bquote

Also don't use torque sticks. They aren't accurate for general use, and definitely not accurate enough for any type of legitimate comparison to a real torque wrench properly calibrated.

Agree, torque sticks are useful only with air wrenches that match the sticks exactly (certain Chicago Pneumatic models)

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to joako

Your compressor is way to small for any impact wrench. you will need at least 30 gal. of air capacity with keeping up with the demand, and it will still be only short bursts. But it will take proper torqued auto lug nuts off. The more HP rated will allow faster recovery of the pressure, etc..

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to joako

Don't know if it's been said but stay away from PVC air hoses! It always wants to stay in a coil and I found out the hard way..

And I agree with everyone I have a 10 gal and I can go about 10 sec max of using the tool on say a stuck bolt and I have to wait for it to recharge (10 gal tank) If you can try to find used as that's what I might try to do but the tanks are heavy and new they cost a arm and leg for simple stuff.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

said by Subaru:

Don't know if it's been said but stay away from PVC air hoses! It always wants to stay in a coil and I found out the hard way..

Try one in the freezing cold and see how well it works.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Haha The first and last time I used it was in Feb 2 years ago and that was enough to make me stop using it.. and I think it was only some 40F out then.. it drove me nuts, 12 F you can forget about it!

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to joako

Personally, I think the biggest problem would be the impact itself. I have seen many new mechanics buy those type of impacts and even with our 160 gallon compressors (we have two 80 gallon compressors attached to our air lines but only run one unless someone is using the bead blaster) they just don't have the balls to bust some lug nuts loose. I have broke loose C/V axle nuts with my dads old 1/2 hp 5 hallon compressor and an Ingersoll-Rand 231 impact. It took a few attempts with letting the compressor re-fill but it got it off.
--
mbsastronomy.com

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to joako

+1 to what TheHarvester See Profile said.

With all due respect, a $60 impact gun is a poor choice for power.

shdesigns