spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Greenalderbe

join:2012-11-09
reply to Greenalderbe

Re: First 2 weeks with Start....so far not impressed.

mtu is at 1500.

Last three days of testing;
With or without router..no change. (My modem is the DCM476)
Past 3 evenings (10:30 ish)Netflix and FTP (single thread) pulled between 2 - 5 mb/s.
Past 3 mornings (7:30ish) I can sustain 30mb/s+ with both.

Due to the consistency (nothing changing on my end), it must be a network issue. Does Rogers limit Start and the Indies somehow? Odd that this crippling congestion only appeared after I switched from Rogers

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada

said by Greenalderbe:

mtu is at 1500.

Last three days of testing;
With or without router..no change. (My modem is the DCM476)
Past 3 evenings (10:30 ish)Netflix and FTP (single thread) pulled between 2 - 5 mb/s.
Past 3 mornings (7:30ish) I can sustain 30mb/s+ with both.

Due to the consistency (nothing changing on my end), it must be a network issue. Does Rogers limit Start and the Indies somehow? Odd that this crippling congestion only appeared after I switched from Rogers

I don't think that Rogers is doing any limitations for Start or any other ISP out there.

For some reason i still believe that this has to do something with he.net routing.

Some time ago, there was a problem with HE.net Chichago, and lots of sites out there was not reachable, or they were very slow.

How i see it (but, i might be wrong), correct me please if i am ..

Start can use 10gbps from HE.net for their needs, so, it goes like this?:

User -> Start -> HE.net -> He.net (Their other links) -> to other provides out there, depends on the route.

I wonder if "Their other links" are overloaded somewhere or there is congestion, or i don't know what else could be.

Thats why i am waiting to see how things will be (and if they are going to improve) once NLayer is online.

Since i have start and that is couple of months now, every traceroute i did, everything went through he.net.

My thinking could be wrong, but, as said, please correct me if i am.

Thanks!

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to Greenalderbe

I agree with you about the diagnosis, but..

Make sure to try factory resetting as well (little button on the back, use a paperclip or something to get at it). You aren't supposed to run into congested channels with an 8 channel modem, but it is worth a try. Might improve some other settings as well.

Definitely do it in the evening when the problems are occurring so that you can have a clear idea if it helped or not. It can take half an hour to come back online, so be ready for a bit of interruption.
--
electronicsguru.ca

DrugTito

canada

I am having mentioned issues for last 2 days.

I am just downloading some drivers from logitech + i tested some .iso files from nexicom, softlayer, etc. mirrors and i am unable to get more then 200-400 kB\sec.

blah, sucks.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by DrugTito:

I am having mentioned issues for last 2 days.

I am just downloading some drivers from logitech + i tested some .iso files from nexicom, softlayer, etc. mirrors and i am unable to get more then 200-400 kB\sec.

blah, sucks.

rocca mentioned here that the interconnection will be upgraded tomorrow afternoon. Maybe that will help:
»Re: SOLVED >>>>>>>Speed Cut in Half ?

DrugTito

canada

I missed that one.

Thank you silvercat!!!

Hopefully it will improve this !!