skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Hypocrites

It's fun to listen to the MAFIAA whiners complain about piracy when they have 'evil doers' in their own ranks; same with the DOJ. When do we get to turn their Internetz off or traffic shape them into the ground like they want to do to everyone else? Never, because they're all scumsucking hypocrites. F-em.

seamore
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02

seamore

Premium Member

will someone plz think about "Big Business"?
Must protect!J!!

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
So a few bad employees, taint ALL efforts in an entire industry?

A pretty tough standard if applied across entire countries or species.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

1 recommendation

ARGONAUT to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

It's fun to listen to the MAFIAA whiners complain about piracy when they have 'evil doers' in their own ranks; same with the DOJ. When do we get to turn their Internetz off or traffic shape them into the ground like they want to do to everyone else? Never, because they're all scumsucking hypocrites. F-em.

100% with you.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926 to skeechan

to skeechan
Yes, if every single person in this country used Torrents, SALES WOULD SKYROCKET ! Box office revenue and DVD sales would simply explode.

Lets not watch it for free at home, lets go pay $40 at the theater, umm, for the atmosphere, and the expensive popcorn.

[/sarcasm]

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
Yeah, because they want to drop the hammer on other businesses with a "few bad employees".

F them and the horses they rode in on.
skeechan

skeechan to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
Perhaps if the MAFIAA weren't pirating, their sales would improve. Let them clean up their own employees' criminality before complaining about everyone else or at least let them apply the same standards to themselves as they attempt to apply on everyone else.

Let the MAFIAA set an example by dropping their own Internet connectivity since they can't seem to control their criminal behavior.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco

Premium Member

People pirate at work. That's not surprising. Especially software. You can setup the most elaborate policies and filtering software. But at the end of the day, you can't control your employees.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Yes, if every single person in this country used Torrents, SALES WOULD SKYROCKET ! Box office revenue and DVD sales would simply explode.

Lets not watch it for free at home, lets go pay $40 at the theater, umm, for the atmosphere, and the expensive popcorn.

[/sarcasm]

I don't spend much on DVDs, or on RIAA member CDs; but neither do I pirate stuff. My expenditure on media, ironically, tracks the MAFIAA claims of declining sales. One might think I am part of the trend driving "lost sales"; except that I don't pirate.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
The MAFIAA insist on the principle of "Do as I say, not as I do." No thank you.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

So a few bad employees, taint ALL efforts in an entire industry?

A pretty tough standard if applied across entire countries or species.

Same goes for customers. So a few bad customers taint ALL efforts in sales for the entire industry?

Also a pretty tough standard if applied across entire countries or species and customer base.
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
There are plenty of other options to legally obtain media which don't put a dime of revenue into the RIAA's or MPAA's pocket (or at least minimizes it). Perhaps those account for the declining revenue trend experienced by those two *cough* *cough* fine *cough* *cough* upstanding *cough* *cough* *choke* organizations.

My point, of course, is that piracy isn't necessarily to blame for all of the RIAA's and MPAA's woes. And given the evidence presented in various studies that show average spending for those who admit to pirating things is greater than average spending for those who don't pirate, I'd humbly suggest that the RIAA's and MPAA's biggest enemy is themselves - with their draconian policies, third world banana republic dictator enforcement schemes, and business model whose most recent update came when President Reagan was sitting in the Oval Office eating jelly beans.

Take me, for instance:

I don't pirate movies, or music, or television shows. I don't really feel that I have the need to do so. At the same time I also do not purchase new CDs, DVDs or Blu Rays for "political" reasons: I do not want to contribute substantially to the longevity of either the RIAA or MPAA. (Yep, I'm one of "those people" - the ones who are happy to wait a little longer to watch a movie if it helps slowly starve the MPAA to death.)

All of my movie and music purchases in the past few years have been at used CD/movie shops, with the exception of a few direct online purchases from groups like The Cynic Project. Aside from directly supporting groups I like, I get the satisfaction of knowing that my money is going to good use (helping the proprietor of a used book store) rather than contributing to freedom's demise. An added bonus, of course, is saving a few bucks on each movie or CD... which means I can generally purchase a few more.

I also use Netflix. I realize that the Evil Axis profits from this guilty pleasure, but the amount they profit is likely far less than they would have made from me if I were to buy all the movie and television series titles that I watch new. In this case, the large gain in having a wide library of media to choose from via streaming and disc offsets the negative of contributing to their profits because they don't profit very much from me. An added bonus is having the ability to stream movies and TV wherever I go. On the occasional drive between DC and Cleveland, it really helps to have streaming video to watch while driving. I revisited a couple seasons of the old TV show "Airwolf" this way last year... something that would have been much more challenging without Netflix. Of course there are also services like Pandora, and Slacker, and (my favorite) Grooveshark (best $3/month spent, IMHO). But I digress...

I rarely go to movie theaters as well, so the MPAA doesn't make much from me that way. I'm happy with the home theater setup I've got, which is far more comfortable and convenient than paying $20 for an over-salted popcorn and sugary Coke. Waiting a few months to see the latest movie really doesn't matter to me, so the investment in electronics yields far more satisfaction. And it's guilt-free satisfaction too, as my enjoyment doesn't contribute nearly as much to freedom's demise as the person who buys 50 DVDs and goes to 10 movies per year.

I have to wonder how many more there are like me out there: people who simply don't go to the movies (whatever the reason), and people who simply don't purchase new music. With the advent of music streaming sites, and popularity of Netflix and streaming from Amazon and Blockbuster, I'm willing to bet that profits are dropping far more due to legal use of legal services than illegal downloading of pirated material.

"Theft" isn't what's killing the MPAA and RIAA; the MPAA and RIAA are. And it's the first time in history that I actually support and encourage self-inflicted injuries and suicide. The faster they go, the better off we all become.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Cthen

Premium Member

to Cthen
said by Cthen:

Same goes for customers. So a few bad customers taint ALL efforts in sales for the entire industry?

Also a pretty tough standard if applied across entire countries or species and customer base.

I haven't seen MPAA or RIAA accuse EVERYONE of stealing, only those downloaders they attempt to track down.

skeechan on the other hand uses a broad brush, to imply everyone in that part of entertainment industry is corrupt.
The same standard applied species wide would make him a thief, child rapist, Nazi, drug lord (also part Dalai Lama, prostitute, republican and saint.)

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

People pirate at work. That's not surprising. Especially software. You can setup the most elaborate policies and filtering software. But at the end of the day, you can't control your employees.

I disagree. While yes, you cannot control your employees, you can monitor and/or limit what they do when using their work equipment and/or connection. You can also take action against them when they do stuff that you tell them upfront you do not want them to do.

Many businesses have their corporate domains behind firewalls and internet connections for their employees proxied, filtered and monitored. For example, where I work P2P of any kind is strictly prohibited. If caught, depending on how important you are, you will either be fired on the spot or severely reprimanded. Now, there will always be a few bad apples who will try to get around whatever measures are in place, but in this economy not many would be willing to jeopardize their jobs for the ability to torrent music/movies at work. Now, that's not to say that these same people won't do it using their home internet connections.

The fact that people can freely torrent stuff from corporate domains of major music/movie/TV studios tells me that these companies either employ brain-dead system/network admins who have no clue how to secure their networks or their management simply doesn't care about this kind of thing going on.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Perhaps if the MAFIAA weren't pirating, their sales would improve.

Why do you and the story author ASSUME the **ia's were pirating?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

DP
skeechan

4 edits

skeechan to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
Oh, it's no assumption. They were CAUGHT pirating. And it wasn't casual piracy but RAMPANT piracy. Meanwhile the MAFIAA sues people for what their employees are doing EVERY DAY. Hypocrisy of the highest and most disgusting order.

»torrentfreak.com/hollywo ··· -121225/

»torrentfreak.com/exposed ··· -121226/

And the MAFIAA doesn't just pirate movies and TV shows...they were caught stealing software as well.

»torrentfreak.com/mpaa-st ··· license/

Now if the MAFIAA wants to apply 6 strikes to business, let them apply it to themselves first. Their employees were caught pirating from other studios and record labels on an epic scale.

Time to traffic shape them into the ground and then disconnect their Internet connectivity for piracy. Once the MAFIAA is off the Internetz, turn to the DOJ and other law enforcement agencies that are also FULL of pirates. When their Internetz is cut off, THEN we can start looking at mom and pop cafe owner.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Pirate515

Premium Member

to Pirate515
You can always catch and punish someone, and you can block simple things like P2P or block domains and IP addresses. But I don't know of a lot of companies that actually put great amount of effort into blocking content. That's just not high on the priority list. Now with the 6 strikes, it could go up a few notches.

My guess on why copyright holders are allowing P2P traffic is that they have a valid reason to allow P2P. Probably to catch offenders who torrent their content or partner's content. And their admins are probably too understaffed to worry about someone abusing the privilege. They may catch the employees, they may not. We have no way of knowing. But I am sure downloading truly infringing content is not allowed.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude to NOVA_UAV_Guy

to NOVA_UAV_Guy
said by NOVA_UAV_Guy:

My point, of course, is that piracy isn't necessarily to blame for all of the RIAA's and MPAA's woes. And given the evidence presented in various studies that show average spending for those who admit to pirating things is greater than average spending for those who don't pirate, I'd humbly suggest that the RIAA's and MPAA's biggest enemy is themselves - with their draconian policies, third world banana republic dictator enforcement schemes, and business model whose most recent update came when President Reagan was sitting in the Oval Office eating jelly beans.

The last time I check, this country is a Republic that works on the principals of capitalism. That means if the business model sucks, then the choice is to get one that works or fail. IMO the **AA's business model sucks, sinks, and does not work but yet they feel they deserve to have perpetual revenue.

**AA's your pissing off your customers by treating them like PIE-RATS when your business model created the problem in the first place. Provide your customers with a quality product at the right price and I guarantee "pirating" will be such a minor issue it wont be worth the time to chase them down. Remember **AA's your NOT to big to fail.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

2 recommendations

tshirt to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
The "Proof" in the stories you quoted appears to IP addresses supposedly linked to the studios, something you have repeated said CANNOT be linked to any given offender, so if it's not proof for you, it's not proof for them either.
even if we accept the IP as one linked to the studio, YOU have no way of knowing if the individual there was given written permission(a license ) to download for tracking purposes.
Even if it was a rogue employee, specific regulations prohibit an employer from publicly disclosing how or why an employee was disciplined or terminated for violating company regulations and/or federal, state or local laws.
so IF it was a violation, it MAY have been dealt with in even a more punitive manner or settlement then what they attempt to do to members of the public they caught.
It's not a matter of studio employees first, it treat all equally.

If YOU have ABSOLUTE proof of violations in the US, why haven't YOU taken them to the DOJ or state AG yourself?

hurfy
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA

hurfy to NOVA_UAV_Guy

Premium Member

to NOVA_UAV_Guy
Ditto

Scary ditto....my 3rd Airwolf disk is waiting in my mailbox

(yes DVD still, keep one queued up for breakfast/dinner/etc as it's much quicker to load)

Between old TV i liked and older shows i never saw since no cable TV i still have a bazillion hours available out there.

Pretty much never bought new CDs, I did buy a ton off ebay at one point so i have most all i'll want. I quit buying new DVDs.

Movie theater is a bit of a drag for singles, haven't done that since the internet i can sit alone in the dark at home much cheaper. Maybe they need a singles night or something, the big pretty screen just isn't worth the hassle.

The only support here is whatever their cut of my $200 to Netflix is for the year. I've eliminated more than that amount just on DVDs.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
Supposedly linked? The IPs belong to the MAFIAA. Meanwhile that is the same "proof" used by the MAFIAA to sue 13 year olds for downloading Happy Birthday and open access points (rogue users) are no defense. Rogue employee or not, it is the exact same same "proof" they intend to use in enforcing six strikes against mom and pop businesses that offer free WiFi, acceptable collateral damage according to the MAFIAA criminals. While it is apparently okay for the MAFIAA to steal software and engage in rampant piracy, they frown upon mom and pop businesses offering free wifi in violation of their ISP's TOS. Hypocrites of epic proportion, the lot of them.

»www.techdirt.com/article ··· e.shtml?

I am not the copyright holder, and not being the copyright holder I have no standing to sue or file a criminal complaint. I can only point out their hypocrisy and the hypocrisy of the shills that support them.

Meanwhile there is nothing, particularly in California where these MAFIAA members are headquartered, stopping an employer from publicaly stating why an employee was terminated.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
I don't think that's what he is saying; he is not accusing everyone in the industry of anything. He is saying they shouldn't be going after people when they are unwilling (or unable) to stop their own employees from uploading.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
If indeed they are "MAFIAA criminals" than YOU should report them to the proper authorities for CRIMINAL prosecution, you don't need to be a rights holder for that, just a concerned citizen.
Failing to act would be hypocritical.
and Especially in California under the labor code employers are barred from making statements about former employees, without the persons consent (given to, say a new prospective employer as part of a background check) and beyond that, state law ANY statement potentially injurious to the persons future employment without proof would bring legal action, so even expressing your opinion (which is protected) about former employees is not a good idea, UNLESS you intend to pursue CRIMINAL charges and WIN. (any CA attorney would tell you to keep your mouth shut, no matter what, even the price of winning is too high)

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

3 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

Okay. I'll email the JD and the California AG but given the JD is also engaging in rampant piracy that is asking the fox to stop eating the chickens. I already notified the MAFIAA so they have no excuse for their hypocritical criminal behavior.

I am an employer in California. There is NO LAW barring employers from making statements about employees termination or work history. It happens all the time. Of course you can't misrepresent their work history or otherwise make FALSE statements but that is defamation but and has nothing to do with being an employer or not.
If you say an employee stole from the company, of course it better be the truth.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Failing to act would be hypocritical.

Certainly you too, a person of high moral standards who feels piracy is damaging the industry, should be obliged to contact the **AA's and the various LEAs and express your concern that their employees should be prosecuted for this behavior. The fact that you are so vocally opposed to piracy but apparently willing to give the 'enforcers' the benefit of the doubt is extraordinarily hypocritical.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Since I have no direct knowledge of any CRIME by anyone working for the RIAA or MPAA, nor do I believe the "evidence" presented in the link stories, there is nothing for ME to report.

However skeechan See Profile posts "MAFIAA criminals" in every similar thread about illegal downloading would lead me to believe either he has deep personal knowledge of CRIMES (criminal, not civil matters) having been committed.
OR
that he has delusional thoughts
OR
that his accusations are apocryphal
OR
that he believes his business or personal interests are served by the continual reparation of those stories.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

The MPAA shills can spin this anyway they want. The MAFIAA was caught red handed pirating and not just a few files, but RAMPANT piracy, and refuses to hold itself to the same standards as everyone else. They are hypocrites along with the shills that excuse make for them.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

..... and what proof is there that any of this is true? An article from Torretfreak? PUHLEEZ now.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

Wow, guess that MAFIAA check cleared.

The fact remains the MAFIAA is engaged in RAMPANT piracy and software theft and they along with their shills that defend them are hypocrites of the highest order. The fact that the MAFIAA membership engages in rampant piracy and code theft gives everyone the moral authority to do the same against them.

When the MAFIAA decides to stop their vile criminal behavior they can start casting stones.