spc
Search similar:

uniqs
devnuller
join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

devnuller

Piracy is stealing - plain and simple

The reason there is content worth stealing is because most people pay for it. If the world went down the path of most people stealing, there wouldn't be enough money to make good content. (not all of it is good)

Similar to any type of stealing, piracy is paid for by the rest of us. What gives Pirates the right to free content?

A bank robber buys more goods with the money they stole... That doesn't justify their theft.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

no, it isn't stealing. it's copyright infringement.
devnuller
Cambridge, MA

devnuller

And piracy is high-seas robbery and kidnapping...

TomAto / toMAto
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to devnuller

to devnuller
I don't disagree but... (and I'm not justifying piracy but...)

If they couldn't pirate, would they buy? The industry has always published huge figures in terms of lost revenue but I have to think that some (perhaps most?) of the illegal activity would not be a sale if perfect DRM was possible.

I think on-line music services that allow folks to buy a song for a buck have probably done more to curtail copyright problems than the rest of the efforts.

When I grew up I used to make "mix" tapes of songs I had recorded from FM radio stations. Although illegally obtaining a digital copy might have greater sonic purity and when you want something, it's faster, I'm surprised someone hasn't taken this software and combined it with an HD FM tuner card and used it to let folks record days/weeks of OTA broadcasts and build a library.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PopCatcher

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to devnuller

to devnuller
said by devnuller:

The reason there is content worth stealing is because most people pay for it. If the world went down the path of most people stealing, there wouldn't be enough money to make good content. (not all of it is good)

Being a musician for many years making nothing for my trouble I know that you could take all of the money out of Music and there would be *plenty* of good musicians still making music of high quality.

I was in the business when the old model applied and it was basically either make it big or get another job if you want to survive.

But, there is so much money to be made on non-piratable goods like merchandise and concert sales.

The music business has changed dramatically.

Now you don't have to be a Lady Gaga to get a seat at the table.

Granted you won't get rich but to be able to make a living doing what you love and exposing your art to your fans is what most true musicians want.

Dave
devnuller
Cambridge, MA

devnuller to rradina

to rradina
That is the Pirate creed - "I wouldn't have bought it, therefor it is OK" I don't disagree the lost revenue numbers are inflated, but there is lost revenue and this is being made up from the ones that actually pay.

Pirates get a free ride they don't deserve. Perhaps we should call them Stowaways instead (much less sexy). They wouldn't have bought the ticket, but everyone else paid for them to ride.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by devnuller:

That is the Pirate creed - "I wouldn't have bought it, therefor it is OK" I don't disagree the lost revenue numbers are inflated, but there is lost revenue and this is being made up from the ones that actually pay.

Pirates get a free ride they don't deserve. Perhaps we should call them Stowaways instead (much less sexy). They wouldn't have bought the ticket, but everyone else paid for them to ride.

I have to agree with you.

I have a friend of mine who pirated the entire James Bond Collection. He downloaded a pack that was in 720p quality on the internet. He regularly refers to these movies as his favorites. I asked him about buying the bluray discs and he said that he would never buy them because the complete James Bond collection is around $300.

The pirates creed is more about saving money than anything else.