Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to cahiatt

MVM

to cahiatt

Re: I'm a Pirate

said by cahiatt:

I'm a Priate
But mostly out of necessity.

I know what you mean. I'm a bank robber. But mostly out of necessity as well.

I can count numerous times where I've had a job and company policy or some other bogus rule wouldn't even allow me to be myself. I just want to earn money. It is sometimes faster to rob a bank or holdup a store than try to fix the policies so I can earn a living at the job I have.

A roof over your head, cloths on your skin, food in your belly...those are necessities. Being able to watch a DVD/BD/whatever is not a necessity. It's a desire. Justifying piracy as being a necessity is just silly.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

1 recommendation

ARGONAUT

Premium Member

said by cdru:

said by cahiatt:

I'm a Priate

If you put a dollar bill on a copy machine and made one copy or ten copies would that be considered bank robbery?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to cdru

to cdru
You do realize that there are a couple flaws in the ignorance of your come back right?

First, you are committing a criminal act, federal offense even. Copy right is a civil matter.

Second, you are stealing an actual item that has limits and can't be replaced. Electronic files are limitless.

Third, copyright infringement is more or less a victimless crime where as the victim would have absolutely no clue that something was "stolen" from him and it can be done a million times and they still would have absolutely no clue that a violation has occurred.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to ARGONAUT

MVM

to ARGONAUT
said by ARGONAUT:

If you put a dollar bill on a copy machine and made one copy or ten copies would that be considered bank robbery?

No. But it could be considered counterfeiting.

My comment wasn't arguing the merits of pirating copyrighted works for reasons of interoperability, merely that it is not never necessary to pirate. If the video does not play, return it as defective. Or don't watch it. But don't say it's necessary as you clearly have a choice and potentially multiple alternatives or other remedies to the situation.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to ARGONAUT

Premium Member

to ARGONAUT
said by ARGONAUT:

said by cdru:

said by cahiatt:

I'm a Priate

That's considered a waste of paper. It is illegal to copy money in color and the same size I think. And you can only make a one sided copy.
You should read the rest of his post. It makes sense to me.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

cdru to Skippy25

MVM

to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

You do realize that there are a couple flaws in the ignorance of your come back right?

Yeah. But since there were numerous flaws in the original premises I figured a flawless retort wasn't necessary. In the future, for your benefit, I will consider a more appropriate example for any hyperbole.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

My comment wasn't arguing the merits of pirating copyrighted works for reasons of interoperability, merely that it is not never necessary to pirate. If the video does not play, return it as defective. Or don't watch it. But don't say it's necessary as you clearly have a choice and potentially multiple alternatives or other remedies to the situation.

Not to defend piracy here but I'm sure you realize that once you open software packages (and that includes DVD's and Blu Ray discs) that returns are almost impossible at most retailers unless the physical media itself is defective.

That means if your player won't play the content because of a DRM software tweak or some special feature on the disc that your player does not support (and the player cannot be upgraded to support) then you now have a $20 paperweight?

That's the kind of thing the industry foists on people and in turn some people tell the industry to go fornicate themselves and they get the content via other means.

Hell, I never bought Blu Rays until I bought a PS3 because I strongly suspected that the industry would do things to the DRM code to "improve it" that would break standalone players (and lo and behold they have done so )

NefCanuck

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by NefCanuck:

Not to defend piracy here but I'm sure you realize that once you open software packages (and that includes DVD's and Blu Ray discs) that returns are almost impossible at most retailers unless the physical media itself is defective.

That means if your player won't play the content because of a DRM software tweak or some special feature on the disc that your player does not support (and the player cannot be upgraded to support) then you now have a $20 paperweight?

And I've never had a clerk at a store care one bit as to the details of why a product doesn't work other than "it doesn't work" for a low priced item such as a movie. They don't care. They go into a bin to be returned or listed and destroyed. I've also have had stores that will bend on their policy depending on circumstances. If you've tried to play it and technically works but there is some issue that is not able to be resolved that is no fault of your own, tall to the clerk or their manager.

If they stick to company policy, get a new disc then return it on a different shift. Poof, it's unopened.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Majestik

to Majestik
That and every copy machine made since the late 80's early 90's (timing could be off) will scramble the hell out of the picture or just print a big black sheet of paper.

It is criminally illegal to copy money no matter how or why you do it. It is however legal to make digital copies of your stuff and it is only a civil matter if you cross the line getting it from others.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to cdru

to cdru
Thanks because if you are going to be spouting a bunch a crap at least do it accurately with appropriate examples that are relevant.

We will all benefit then.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by cahiatt:

I'm a Priate

I can count numerous times where I've had a job and company policy or some other bogus rule wouldn't even allow me to be myself. I just want to earn money. It is sometimes faster to rob a bank or holdup a store than try to fix the policies so I can earn a living at the job I have.

A roof over your head, cloths on your skin, food in your belly...those are necessities. Being able to watch a DVD/BD/whatever is not a necessity. It's a desire. Justifying piracy as being a necessity is just silly.

you kill people no file sharer ever has....
you take something that is not there after , copying leaves the original....the reason robberies happen is exactly that people that dont realize they cant find work need to eat and pay rent...

imagine if there was no welfare and you would see robberies skyrocket.....so in a sense your making his case cause society said the greater good is served by helping that person with rent and/or food so they don't have to consider crime.

piracy no one helps the poor so this is one reason it happens then.
THANKS FOR MAKING YOUR IGNORANCE OF HOW LIFE WORKS PLAIN FOR ALL TO SEE.

Ya seenot everyone is a rocket scientist and can figure out ways to gain employment....

Jimmyb783
@distributel.net

Jimmyb783 to cdru

Anon

to cdru
Ok what happens if you bought the dvd/bluray and you wanted to watch it on my phone/tablet? Do I have to repurchase another copy of the same video? If you download a copy with the DRM removed is that justifiable considering you already purchased a hard copy and gave the studio money?

I am not going to go into "I have a VHS copy and I downloaded a blu ray". What I am saying is I have the dvd I bought and then I downloaded a dvd copy with the drm removed so I can watch it on my tablet.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

ARGONAUT to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25
DVR ?