spc
uniqs
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm

Re: IMAP Trial from XFINITY!

never got why we didn't have IMAP to start with considering the web mail app that is in place on comcast.net to start with supports folders

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

Because a lot of Comcast's customer base (like me) used a mail client that supported POP3. Outlook Express (the default mail client pre-Windows 8) and Outlook itself have ALWAYS supported POP3 - Outlook *itself* didn't get IMAP4 support until the 2010 for PC/2011 for OS X iterations. (And the only reason I noticed at all is because GMail, which supports both POP3 and IMAP4, defaults to IMAP4 as of Outlook 2010.) Outlook 2013 *still* defaults to POP3 for my CHSI mail - as is the case with GMail, it matters not a whit to me personally. The biggest push for IMAP4 is for smartphone connectivity - not PCs or Macs, or even Windows 8.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Outlook has supported IMAP, albeit poorly, since Outlook 98.

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

As you phrased it - poorly. IMAP4 support didn't mature until Outlook 2010 - where it was as hands-free as their POP3 support (which has ALWAYS been hands-free.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

It still could use a bit more work, imho. Comparing POP3 and IMAP though is really like comparing a carburetor and a fuel injection system - while both perform a similar basic function, how they go about it is completely different. Comcast might deserve a bit of chiding for no IMAP support to date, but Microsoft with their recently released Outlook.com that does not support IMAP is probably a far more deserving target.

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

Again, the issue is smartphones/devices - not PCs or even Macs. The Outlook.com issue is even sillier because by default it uses the SAME mail protocol as Hotmail (which it is seeking to replace) - Exchange ActiveSync (which the Windows 8 Mail app supports , as does Outlook 2013). I have all three mail services (CHSI, Outlook.com, and GMail) on my Windows 8 desktop and use a SINGLE mail client with them all: Outlook 2013. However, no two mail services use the same protocol: POP3 with CHSI, EAS with Outlook.com, and IMAP4 with GMail. Outlook has no issues, either.

papabapa
@lowellgeneral.org

papabapa to PGHammer

Anon

to PGHammer
does anyone know what the storage limit is for the IMAP beta?