uniqs
share rss forum feed

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI

2 recommendations

Enough WoW for one lifetime.

Hey ladies & gents,
Something snapped the other night - perhaps it was just a few too many dailies, or raiding for 8 hours this week, but it was something. I came out of my man cave after 4 hours of raiding, and found my wife asleep on the couch (she had been watching TV and reading alone for that 4 hours). My wife doesn't like WoW, has never wanted to try it, that's not going to change. Then it hit me - I was missing out. All of these hours staring at that PC screen, for all intensive purposes, alone. Chasing more purple pixels, fake gold, and that sense of satisfaction from downing a raid boss that will respawn in 7 days - while the woman I married is hanging out alone. That's it. I love WoW, always have, always will. That's not going to change - but I can't do this any more. I'm done. I'm going to pick up new hobbies that I can do with my wife, and try to improve myself in other ways. It's been a great 7 year run - but I can't help wondering what else I could have done with all of those thousands of hours. I've enjoyed this forum over the last year - you guys are a lot of fun. I'm sure I'll check in here now and then. PM me if you want my email (and don't already have it). I've quit WoW before - for 2 months here, six months there - but this is different. I know deep down that I need to move on, so I'm going to. Cheers, folks!

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH
kudos:2
Definately is something I have been thinking about as well. The only difference for me is that my wife plays as well.

The time sink with it is what is getting to me. Haven't quite got that far as to quit.

Good luck to you in your search for new hobbies.

DownLow
Nope...I Got Nothing
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Long Island
reply to clawfury
life all about balance. I know have (and am currently) going through exactly the same thing. At some point, we all get that way, it's perfectly normal.

Since Panda hit, I haven't raided and don't feel compelled to. I have spent much more quality time with the wife during the nights (after kids have gone to sleep). I know my Wow time will continue to drop over the weeks and months ahead until ultimately, it will drop to the point that the few bucks a month I pay to play isn't even worth the "entertainment" value. And I am fine with that.

It is the normal progression of things (so people shouldn't blame the game).

Best of luck to you and the game of real life!
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
Best of luck my friend, like people above said is all about balance, spending time with the wife and kids is the best thing you can do instead of WoW.

Obligatory,

Can I have your stuffs???
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
said by Jobbie:

Obligatory,

Can I have your stuffs???

Aw I was gonna ask that. j/k

Now go raid the wife, I here the loot is more epic.
--
»Death Star Petition

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
reply to clawfury
Have fun, man. It's been a great pleasure playing with and getting to know you over the past few months. I'm sure we'll stay in contact, and even more sure that you're going to find what's been missing in your life those 15-20 hours a week. You only get one shot at life, and you've got to take advantage of the opportunities given...in this case you're lovely wife.

But remember the wise words of the adviser that is the all-knowing loading screen. "Remember to take all things in moderation."

And here's the obligatory, "you'll be back...they always come back."

I've not had my PC since January 4th, and haven't logged on to WoW since somewhere around the 20th of December. I'm having a blast with my family, and I know that Azeroth isn't going anywhere...those purple pixels will be in the exact same place I left them.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

clawfury

Rochester, MI
reply to clawfury
Thanks for the well wishes and advice, everyone. Appreciate it. Here's what I'm thinking about for hobbies:

- Take the wife to the gym (work pays for a nice membership) - she wants to play racquetball and do yoga, and I can lift weights

- Read a few more books. I already read quite a bit, but could use a few more.

- Work on my cooking. I'm a good cook, but I need more practice on some classic dishes and technique.

- Haven't touched my guitar in ages.

Yes Dark, the loot is far more epic :-P Jobbie, if you had a char on my server you could definitely have my stuffs :P

I agree with the balance comments. Problem is, I'm shitty at balance. I'm an "all in" type of person. I either throw myself into something, or I don't. It's a character flaw in some situations, like this.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to McBrain
said by McBrain:

those purple pixels will be in the exact same place I left them.

Will they? Are you sure?
Well technically they won't be, the earth has moved a great distance since dec 20th, and so has the sun and even the Galaxy.

The point at which you last saw them is now empty space off the the clockwise position from here with at least 3 almost parallel axis.

Then a hacker could hack you.

So on one hand they aren't where you last saw them, on the other they might be where you expect to see them.
--
»Death Star Petition

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to clawfury
BRB MAKING A TOON ON PROUDMOORE!

Seriously, your list sounds like a great start man go for it with all your heart.

I totally understand your feelings, in my case even if I want to do it I can't because distance is a tough bitch, that is why I urge to take this opportunity and get the best out of it with your family.

Family > Pixels
--

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14
reply to clawfury
I went through this realization back during Cata. Took a year off to gather my thoughts and just recently came back as casual. Never thought i could be a casual and not raid with a set group, but its been fun. I might get on an hour a day when im home and its usually before my fiance gets home from work.
Like everyone said, take your time and work at finding a balance. Each person is different, but it is very rewarding as you can keep your hobby (albeit a little change required) and enjoy life.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to clawfury
1. Ya gyms are great, I go to one almost everyday so if your work pays for one go for it.

2. careful about your eyes.

3. any tips for the following
Chicken breasts, with garlic salt and pepper deep fried in coconut oil.
so far the spice seems to stay on the outside. (they're good but if there's a way to make them better I'd like to know.)
--
»Death Star Petition

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by McBrain:

Will they? Are you sure?
Well technically they won't be, the earth has moved a great distance since dec 20th, and so has the sun and even the Galaxy.

The point at which you last saw them is now empty space off the the clockwise position from here with at least 3 almost parallel axis.

So on one hand they aren't where you last saw them, on the other they might be where you expect to see them.

Dude, I want to have the same stuff you are getting,
--

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to clawfury
Good luck to you sir.

Pick up the axe bro, I started back when I dropped wow back in October.

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY
kudos:1
reply to clawfury
Luckily for me I met my fiancee on WoW almost 2 years ago and we're still together and happily playing WoW every day.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

said by DarkLogix:

said by McBrain:

Will they? Are you sure?

Dude, I want to have the same stuff you are getting,

Its called science.

The Earth is turning, and moving around the Sun and the sun around the Galaxy and the Galaxy away from the center of the universe.
--
»Death Star Petition

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
said by DarkLogix:

Its called science.

The Earth is turning, and moving around the Sun and the sun around the Galaxy and the Galaxy away from the center of the universe.

Sure.... science....
--

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
reply to clawfury
GL clawfury, nice talking to you and helping you with you shammy ^_^ . I'm sure you'll be around so if you wanna talk just say sup.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to clawfury
wish you the best claw, i am glad my comp is in our living room, even though i log lots of hours in game i am usually not at it, i leave a toon logged in just in case guild mates or friends need advice or help, more times than not the wife and i are watching tv or playing a game with the kid, sometimes i find the momentum to just play and she watches what i consider to be crap "private practice" so we find a balance of sorts, she would love it i never played again but then she would have to deal with a miserable bastard, and she also knows that even if it wasn't WoW it would be some other thing that would have my attention, sitting and vegging in front of the tv i cannot do, reading like our claw here would be ideal, but it would also become the time sink that took me away from other things. i know, ive seen me do it.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to Jobbie
Pharmacology is science is it not

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
said by cymraeg:

Pharmacology is science is it not

This is true.
--

clawfury

Rochester, MI
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

1. Ya gyms are great, I go to one almost everyday so if your work pays for one go for it.

2. careful about your eyes.

so far the spice seems to stay on the outside. (they're good but if there's a way to make them better I'd like to know.)

Dude....tip #1...don't deep fry shit. It will rot your brain.
Try this. Take 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half, and put in a crock pot with one can of chicken broth, one can of water, a chopped onion, some garlic, and your choice of spices. You want enough liquid to cover it about 1/2". Put it on high, and let it sit all day while you are at work. When you come home you have a nice rich broth (use for soup, base, whatever) and very tender chicken. It shreds easily with a fork, and makes great chicken tacos, chicken salad sandwiches, etc.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Deep frying with Omaga6 is bad but natural saturated fats is good, please read up on coconut oil and medium chain triglycerides.

Not really a soup person
--
»Death Star Petition

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
I'm doing the master cleanse right now.

Water, maple syrup, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper really isn't bad tasting.

I started this morning, and I'm actually not even really hungry for lunch.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

clawfury

Rochester, MI
That master cleanse is some crazy stuff. My mom did that once or twice, I tried it once...and I was ill for like 3 days. I must be as toxic as hell. lol.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
I made a gallon of the stuff this morning...I've had maybe half of it.

I'm going for 10 days...not sure I'll make it that far.

The wife told me someone did that shit for over a year...crazy...seems like eating food after that would fuck your shit up, lol.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

clawfury

Rochester, MI
WoW. From what I've read, you're only supposed to make up the lemon and syrup part. If you add the cayenne and water, it "steeps" and becomes super spicy :-P I don't know how else you would do it tho if you have to go to work or out or whatever. I also remember 10 days being an ideal number....some people do it a lot longer...but a year....wtf? Remember...dont' go straight back to your normal diet afterwards! I think it's one day of fresh squeezed orange juice, then one day of veggie/fruit smoothies/juice, then one day of non-processed vegetables and fruits, then back to normal...

clawfury

Rochester, MI
reply to DarkLogix
Oh, that's cool, Dark. I did not know that. I will look that up. Oh don't worry about the broth part, if you don't like soup, don't eat that part. You take the chicken out and drain it, though - and it makes amazing shredded chicken for tacos and such.

BG5150

join:2008-08-14
New York, NY
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Grill it instead? Bake it?

Additional spices to consider (not all at once!): cumin, curry, paprika, Old Bay, parsley, tumeric.

The crock pot is a good idea. Try adding a bay leaf. It'll add a little bit of sweetness. Or a couple Jamaica all-spice. It'll add a slight clove-y taste. Cut an onion in half, add that. Onion makes almost anything better.
--
...because beer is mana in real life. -- LockInABox

There are no stupid questions; only stupid people.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

Rhenai

join:2010-09-07
Elkhorn, NE
reply to McBrain
So I was curious, and searched "cleansing diet" and when I got to the part where "adult diapers" were suggested, I decided - NOPE not for me. I sure hope you are done with your "cleanse" before you get on that plane, and - hat's off to you for being able to do this.
--
“Amor Fati – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.”

clawfury

Rochester, MI
said by Rhenai:

So I was curious, and searched "cleansing diet" and when I got to the part where "adult diapers" were suggested, I decided - NOPE not for me. I sure hope you are done with your "cleanse" before you get on that plane, and - hat's off to you for being able to do this.

+1. That's awesome. ADULT DIAPERS?