San Antonio, TX
Netgear CM500
TP-Link Archer C7
Obihai OBi200

alexintexas

[TWC] SATX more rate hikes

In the know...
Beginning with your next bill,there will be a change in
the cost of some Time Warner Cable monthly services.
Basic Service increase from $24.99 to $28.00,Standard
Cable from $71.99 to $77.00, DVR Service from $10.99 to
$12.99 and Sports Pass from $6.99 to $8.99
In addition, all Basic and Standard packages will
increase by $5.00 and all digital video packages will
increase by $3.00. If you are currently receiving a
promotional rate,your rate may not be affected at this
time.
For Unreturned Equipment rates and one-time charges,
please refer to the enclosed bill insert. Bulk contract
services may not be impacted by the rate change. For
bulk questions please contact your HOA or
management company.

looks like its time to dump cable for me
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced

I'm pretty sure every company raised prices, including Direct, Dish and pretty much every one else.

If I read the notice right, if you're on a discount plan your price shouldn't change, this only changes people who aren't currently under some promotion.
alexintexas
join:2003-01-11
San Antonio, TX

alexintexas

that is correct however not the point. 80+ a month for just digital service is a bit insane. That does not include dvr and dvr program fee's thats another 22.99
Fleeced

Fleeced to alexintexas

to alexintexas
You can probably call in and threaten to cancel and they'll usually give you a promotion.
alexintexas
San Antonio, TX
Netgear CM500
TP-Link Archer C7
Obihai OBi200

alexintexas

Or maybe "we" could start changing/demanding a fee for every commercial aired on every channel

Netflix has a ton more content offered monthly and much cheaper, commercial free to boot

Vertigo
@myvzw.com

Vertigo to Fleeced

Anon

to Fleeced
Similar price hikes occurred in LA. My guess is its to subsidize the sports channels for every team in every sport. $23 for a DVR is absurd, especially considering Time Warner recycles boxes, some 5 years or older. Bring out the six tuner Motorola DCX3600 or Cisco 9845HDC then maybe, but these two tuner boxes are lame. Really I only watch a handful of sports and would gladly drop them if I could.
Fleeced

Fleeced to alexintexas

to alexintexas
Netflix also limits what movies/shows you can watch online, doesn't have the newest shows available and doesn't stream all of their shows at once all the time.

Their shows only become available when they are available on DVD, and most of the new stuff you have to have to have the DVD/BR disc sent to you before you can watch it (Which costs extra for the mailouts and extras for the BR discs).

Netflix also doesn't have to deal with broadcasters charging whatever they want and expecting the carriers to pay. Then some broadcasters (NFL Network being a prime example) charge one rate for one carrier (Direct I think got it cheap) and then making demands on that other carriers (TWC for example) put all their programming on their "basic" package but charge something ridiculous when not everyone watches sports (Blasphemy, I know).

The biggest problem with all carriers is basic broadcasters (the OTA free stuff) wants to charge more and more for those carriers to carry the channels, even though they're free OTA. Make sense of that one.

Netflix, as you said, does have a lot of content. I pay for it as well, but I get frustrated when just about every movie I want to watch I have to get a stupid DVD for. It changes so one time you can get it, other times you won't be able to. Most of their "popular" stuff is DVD only, which you have to pay extra for anyways.
alexintexas
San Antonio, TX
Netgear CM500
TP-Link Archer C7
Obihai OBi200

alexintexas

said by Fleeced:

Netflix also limits what movies/shows you can watch online, doesn't have the newest shows available and doesn't stream all of their shows at once all the time.

Their shows only become available when they are available on DVD, and most of the new stuff you have to have to have the DVD/BR disc sent to you before you can watch it (Which costs extra for the mailouts and extras for the BR discs).

Netflix also doesn't have to deal with broadcasters charging whatever they want and expecting the carriers to pay. Then some broadcasters (NFL Network being a prime example) charge one rate for one carrier (Direct I think got it cheap) and then making demands on that other carriers (TWC for example) put all their programming on their "basic" package but charge something ridiculous when not everyone watches sports (Blasphemy, I know).

The biggest problem with all carriers is basic broadcasters (the OTA free stuff) wants to charge more and more for those carriers to carry the channels, even though they're free OTA. Make sense of that one.

Netflix, as you said, does have a lot of content. I pay for it as well, but I get frustrated when just about every movie I want to watch I have to get a stupid DVD for. It changes so one time you can get it, other times you won't be able to. Most of their "popular" stuff is DVD only, which you have to pay extra for anyways.

but overall cheaper even with dvd/bd added and again netflix offers much more content on a monthly basis then all the content providers combined on any cable system. and again commercial free...just wish others in the home could cut the cord and see the non value of cable/content providers.

cable offers alot more commercials then content sadly

even hbo, showtime SUCK at $15. a month each, nothing but repeats all month long and less added monthly
Fleeced

Fleeced

Meh, if you don't mind getting TV shows months after a season ends or movies a week or more after the on demand gets them, then that's fine. It all depends on where you place your values and what you value. Some people want their TV shows and movies as soon as possible (See the people who will pay $15+ to go to a movie theatre then tons on popcorn/drinks just to see it the night it comes out), then Netflix isn't the best service for you. If you don't mind ol dstuff and deciding to watch something then probably having to wait, then jump all over netflix.

Just depends on what you want, convenience or time.