All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Nightfall

to Nightfall

Re: They obviously don't know any of the pirates that I know.

You can extend that many ways.

In a nutshell most of us will be willing to give some time and money to organizations that we enjoy to help them out. If that were not true than the Free to play games and the trail versions of software that has a vast majority of needed functionality would not survive because no body would ever donate or buy.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Skippy25:

In a nutshell most of us will be willing to give some time and money to organizations that we enjoy to help them out. If that were not true than the Free to play games and the trail versions of software that has a vast majority of needed functionality would not survive because no body would ever donate or buy.

Pirates are not as common as people think. A vast majority are already purchasing. Companies are surviving. Still, pirating does result in a loss of revenue. Just how much is up for debate. Its much less than the billions that the RIAA and MPAA say it is and its much more than the "nothing" that the pirates say they are.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by Nightfall:

said by Skippy25:

Pirates are not as common as people think. A vast majority are already purchasing. Companies are surviving. Still, pirating does result in a loss of revenue. Just how much is up for debate. Its much less than the billions that the RIAA and MPAA say it is and its much more than the "nothing" that the pirates say they are.

Oh I think they have lost billions, but not due to piracy. But a lot of it is music has been revalued in the world. People used to spend lots of money on an album collection. Today they have Pandora, Or can cherry pick their favorite tracks on Amazon/iTunes for far less money.

The move to digital has also meant that lots of music can be purchased legit, from bands that can now skip the big record model. An indie band that previously had to sell their soul to EMI can now go it on their own and sell directly via iTunes.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Kearnstd:

said by Nightfall:

said by Skippy25:

Oh I think they have lost billions, but not due to piracy. But a lot of it is music has been revalued in the world. People used to spend lots of money on an album collection. Today they have Pandora, Or can cherry pick their favorite tracks on Amazon/iTunes for far less money.

The move to digital has also meant that lots of music can be purchased legit, from bands that can now skip the big record model. An indie band that previously had to sell their soul to EMI can now go it on their own and sell directly via iTunes.

I agree 100%. Those are factors in the decline in profits without a doubt. Still, if the RIAA has lost 50% of its profits, then pirating is somewhere between 5%-10% of those lost profits. Not the whole 50% and certainly not 0%.
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

Its much less than the billions that the RIAA and MPAA say it is and its much more than the "nothing" that the pirates say they are.

Here's the rub with that: the MPAA and RIAA deduct the fictitious portion of losses due to piracy along with the real portion against their income.

This means that day in and day out, year after year, the MPAA and RIAA are getting away with tax fraud and cheating you, me, and everyone else out of the "benefits" we deserve from their tax payments.

Perhaps the RIAA and MPAA ought to stop defrauding the government through false accounting figures before they consider going after individuals for pirating something which may not have even resulted in a loss of revenue to them.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by NOVA_UAV_Guy:

said by Nightfall:

Its much less than the billions that the RIAA and MPAA say it is and its much more than the "nothing" that the pirates say they are.

Here's the rub with that: the MPAA and RIAA deduct the fictitious portion of losses due to piracy along with the real portion against their income.

This means that day in and day out, year after year, the MPAA and RIAA are getting away with tax fraud and cheating you, me, and everyone else out of the "benefits" we deserve from their tax payments.

Perhaps the RIAA and MPAA ought to stop defrauding the government through false accounting figures before they consider going after individuals for pirating something which may not have even resulted in a loss of revenue to them.

I agree with you. At the same time though, that doesn't change the fact that the RIAA and MPAA's profits are negatively affected my piracy. I think the tax fraud and cheating are out of line, but two wrongs do not make a right.